Extra charges?

crock25

Can some one help me find out what extra charges there are for the Epic? We are two families that are looking for a cruise for spring break next year, my DS will be 15, friends DDs will be 8 and 4, so we need a ship that has a little something for everyone. We've narrowed it down to the Epic or the Allure. I know there must be plenty to do without paying extra but what would we be missing out on? Also I read you can buy soda cards, to include juices, are there no beverages included?

Thanks for any and all help!

Can some one help me find out what extra charges there are for the Epic? We are two families that are looking for a cruise for spring break next year, my DS will be 15, friends DDs will be 8 and 4, so we need a ship that has a little something for everyone. We've narrowed it down to the Epic or the Allure. I know there must be plenty to do without paying extra but what would we be missing out on? Also I read you can buy soda cards, to include juices, are there no beverages included?

Thanks for any and all help!

The kids' club for the smaller ones is open until 10:30 (I think). After that, if you want to use them for group baby sitting, there is a fee. It used to be $5 an hour, but I don't know what it is now. There is a charge for the specialty restaurants, and I think the coffee bar, although the pasteries are free. There is a charge for the soda card. You can get juice in the morning in the buffet for free, or in the dining room at breakfast. Iced tea is free in the buffet, and some have said there is lemonade as well. Can't think of anything else that there is a fee for, for the kids.

Sissasmome, thanks for the info. Do you know what bowling costs? Or if there is five pin for the little ones? The shows, are they extra or kid friendly?

The shows are included, with the exception of the dinner show or the presumed murdered luncheon. Those are extra. Blue Man Group and Legends in Concert are definitely kid friendly. We didn't bowl, so I don't know. Sorry!

Second city has late shows that are specifically not kid friendly, but I don't think kids would be very interested in any of the 2nd City shows.

NCL has been trying out some other beverages, for example on the Star recently there was the traditional ice tea, but lemonade and a mango and something else punch was available. I have heard it was also on the Epic.

You can bring your own soda onboard. You might want to have your room steward empty out the fridge and store your soda there. Besides saving money on the sodas purchased, cleaning out the fridge eliminates the possiblity of kids not understanding there is a charge for the goodies.

Don't forget the Daily Service Charge applies to each person in the room.

There is an arcade and kids have been known to over use their key card for the games. It might not be a worry for you as your kids are pretty young.

We loved the Epic!

The only kids activity that has a fee is bowling but the kids club takes them once and it's free.

The rock wall, Epic Bounce, and Spider Web are all free. The 15 year old will also be old enough to rappel. They show movies for kids in Spice H2O a few nights. On our sailing they had Avengers, Hunger Games and one or two others.

You can carry soda on or purchase the soda card. Juices are free at breakfast. Other free beverages include coffee, hot tea, iced tea, and some have reported seeing the new lemonade and flavored waters on the Epic,

Bowling is $5. Make sure you bring socks. The charge includes shoes.

Drinks included: water, milk, chocolate milk, coffee, iced tea, hot tea, lemonade, hot chocolate, flavored waters like tropical mango and strawberry kiwi. At breakfast, you will juices as well.

Extra charges for: Presumed Murdered mystery lunch and Cirque Dreams, soda and bottled water.

Soda cards cost but you can bring on your own soft drinks, bottled water, juices and non-alcoholic mixers. NCL serves Pepsi products.

Second City does a family show as well as an adult show. My son loves Second City and has always gone to them ever since they came onboard NCL.

Can some one help me find out what extra charges there are for the Epic?

I was on the Epic last year. If you want soda or juices, that will be extra. I'm pretty sure the soda card did NOT include juices. Check the website for how much those cost; for adults and kids over 12 (?) I think the card is $7/day but you have to buy it for the whole length of the cruise. Sodas are $2 each (+15% gratuity) so add it up and see if you think a card is a good deal. You get a plastic insulated cup along with the package.

They will serve juice at breakfast, sometimes at the kid's buffet, and at other meals there is iced tea and water, all free. They're rolling out some flavored water at the buffets on NCL but I'm not sure if it's on the Epic yet. There's also coffee, tea bags and hot water, hot chocolate mix, and milk available at all meals. At the MDR they'll also bring you regular coffee or tea at no charge, but there's a charge for coffee drinks like lattes.

At the buffet there is a station selling alcohol and fresh-squeezed juices. THOSE juices aren't free. I'm not sure which drinks cards include this kind of juice.

There's a coffee bar where they'll charge you for coffee drinks (but the cakes/pastries there are free). All alcohol is charged except at certain receptions, but there are also drinks cards for that. You can pay a little less for drinks if you tell them NOT to serve them in the souvenir glass. Or you can take home the glass & have a souvenir!

Room service is free except from midnight to 5am. You can order pizza to be delivered ANYWHERE on the ship for $5. (I don't think there is free pizza for room service anymore.)

Activities like bowling and wine tastings often have a charge. It will be noted in the Freestyle Daily. There are several restaurants that are open for dinner that have a separate charge and the Freestyle Daily will say. There are some "dinner shows" that have a charge also.

If you want to use the Internet, that's going to cost you. Plus it's really slow while you're at sea, so unless you are desperate you should skip it entirely.

We are sailing the Gem during spring break this year and were told they are not offering soda program during spring break. We can bring soda on board but not offering soda program this makes no since to me. Just might want to keep this in the back of your mind if you do end up booking and plan on buying soda cards because the soda program might not be available. We found this out after we already booked and asked our ncl cruise agent about purchasing soda program before cruise that's when we found out it was not being offered. :mad:

We are sailing the Gem during spring break this year and were told they are not offering soda program during spring break. We can bring soda on board but not offering soda program this makes no since to me. Just might want to keep this in the back of your mind if you do end up booking and plan on buying soda cards because the soda program might not be available. We found this out after we already booked and asked our ncl cruise agent about purchasing soda program before cruise that's when we found out it was not being offered. :mad:

So you are saying NCL said the soda card was not going to be available? It has only been reported that the Ultimate Beverage Package will not be available March 1- April 15. Nothing on the soda package. Have you looked for it on myncl.com.

Yes NCl told us no soda cards during spring break. I tried to order on the Bon voyage on the ncl site and there was no item number which I did not understand at first being new to ncl. Gem is going to be first cruise with them. So when we spoke to our ncl agent when we made final payment I asked to order soda cards and that is when we were told not offering during spring break. It's does not make since to me that I can bring on board all the soda I want but you don't want to sell me a soda card. I would think they would want the sale. I could see increasing the price during spring break but not to offer at all did not sit with me well. Now I have to lug soda on board so be it. To me NCL lost out on $150 between myself, Husband and Son because we all would of purchased one.

Yes NCl told us no soda cards during spring break. I tried to order on the Bon voyage on the ncl site and there was no item number which I did not understand at first being new to ncl. Gem is going to be first cruise with them. So when we spoke to our ncl agent when we made final payment I asked to order soda cards and that is when we were told not offering during spring break. It's does not make since to me that I can bring on board all the soda I want but you don't want to sell me a soda card. I would think they would want the sale. I could see increasing the price during spring break but not to offer at all did not sit with me well. Now I have to lug soda on board so be it. To me NCL lost out on $150 between myself, Husband and Son because we all would of purchased one.

This is a big development. Thanks for coming back and answering my question.

Just in case you aren't aware, there is also a daily service charge per person of $12. My understanding is the Royal Caribbean is getting ready to change to this system of auto-tipping as well rather than cash.

Many of the restaurants have a small fee unless you eat every meal in the main dining rooms or buffet. The buffet was awesome I must admit. We absolutely LOVED the Noodle Bar!! On our cruise we did not have flavored waters or lemonade, only water or unsweetened tea (Ewww). We opted to bring on 2 12-packs of soda as we prefer Coke products and NCL is a Pepsi only line (again, Ewww). If I brought a can of Zero with me to any dining venue or bar, I was brought a glass with ice (nice but not expected) by the waitstaff.

If any of you enjoy a drink, go to the martini or margarita tastings - totally fun and tons of drinks for $15pp charge. We must've been refilled 5 times on top of the 5 drinks. We had to take a nap that day and missed dinner, lol.

Of course, photos are an added cost. Souvenirs and there is also a video game room and those fees can rack up fast.

We don't gamble but that can add quite a bit.

Clearly the charges can add up as our final bill was over $800 for just the two of us but it was totally worth every penny!

I know your kids would love the Epic!

Just in case you aren't aware, there is also a daily service charge per person of $12. My understanding is the Royal Caribbean is getting ready to change to this system of auto-tipping as well rather than cash.

Many of the restaurants have a small fee unless you eat every meal in the main dining rooms or buffet. The buffet was awesome I must admit. We absolutely LOVED the Noodle Bar!! On our cruise we did not have flavored waters or lemonade, only water or unsweetened tea (Ewww). We opted to bring on 2 12-packs of soda as we prefer Coke products and NCL is a Pepsi only line (again, Ewww). If I brought a can of Zero with me to any dining venue or bar, I was brought a glass with ice (nice but not expected) by the waitstaff.

If any of you enjoy a drink, go to the martini or margarita tastings - totally fun and tons of drinks for $15pp charge. We must've been refilled 5 times on top of the 5 drinks. We had to take a nap that day and missed dinner, lol.

Of course, photos are an added cost. Souvenirs and there is also a video game room and those fees can rack up fast.

We don't gamble but that can add quite a bit.

Clearly the charges can add up as our final bill was over $800 for just the two of us but it was totally worth every penny!

I know your kids would love the Epic!

That is correct - RCCL is going to start doing the auto gratuity thing on March 1st.

You parents don't think blue headed men staring with bright white eyes while banging on drums might be a touch unnerving to a soon to be 5 yr old? ;) I remember a parent writing their kid got scared when they did the staring thing but maybe she had an infant/toddler at the time. ::shrug::

Can't think of anything else that hasn't already been mentioned. Bon voyage!

NCL doesn't serve juice at breakfast. It serves "juice."

Huh? :confused:

You parents don't think blue headed men staring with bright white eyes while banging on drums might be a touch unnerving to a soon to be 5 yr old? ;) I remember a parent writing their kid got scared when they did the staring thing but maybe she had an infant/toddler at the time. ::shrug::

Can't think of anything else that hasn't already been mentioned. Bon voyage!

Huh? :confused:

Ohhhh "juice" lol

I can see how BMG woiuld be scary to a young child, especially how interactive they get in the theatre from what I can see by looking at pictures. They walk up the backs of chairs into the audience so can imagine how scary that would be to a child who does not know or understand that they are wearing costumes and a heck of a lot of paint/makeup.

Ohhhh "juice" lol

I can see how BMG woiuld be scary to a young child, especially how interactive they get in the theatre from what I can see by looking at pictures. They walk up the backs of chairs into the audience so can imagine how scary that would be to a child who does not know or understand that they are wearing costumes and a heck of a lot of paint/makeup.

You mean this "juice"? LOL

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/hubs-gyros/n10418/

Archived