Reflection January 19, 2013

Fogtownrog

Photos taken during the cruise:

Written earlier, just posting today :rolleyes:

We just returned home after a wonderful vacation on board the Celebrity Reflection – an Eastern Caribbean itinerary, seven nights with a January 19 sail date. After almost two days at sea, the ship stopped at three ports, San Juan, St. Maarten and St. Kitts. First, let me say that the Reflection, like the other Solstice class ships, was superbly outfitted, chic and obviously clean and fresh. I have nothing but wonderful things to say about the Reflection; although there were a couple of changes I wasn’t wild about. However, the sheer beauty of the ship, the wonderful and caring crew along with great food and drink certainly made up for the fact that I missed the old Michaels Club on this cruise. Although the new M.C. configuration looks nice and with a larger bar, and it may sell more drinks; I really missed the intimacy of the former club.

However, with the Martini Bar being the real show, I cannot imagine who really missed the Michaels Club anyway? I simply made an observation and moved on. I did watch a quarter of the NFC Championship Game in the Michaels Club the second day of the cruise. I enjoyed great service, not to be found at any other sports bar.

The New Sunset Bar really was the daytime version of the Martini Bar. On this particular cruise one could find the same festive group who hung out on this upper deck perch every afternoon. I could hear the voices and laughs from mid ship towards the aft. The bar and well laid out seating area is a fun place to be. However, the beauty of the Sunset Bar and the layout came with some cost. I feel the aft deck of the Oceanview Café lost some of its intimacy with the removal of the bar, sofas and banquettes, situated on other Solstice Class ships, in order to make room for the staircase that would take you up a deck. The Deck 14 behind the Oceanview Café became a sprawling outdoor cafeteria in comparison to the same space on the older Solstice ships, which offered more personal space and serenity. Oh, well, I still had breakfast out there everyday, but did not linger. I would carry my coffee mug upstairs and sip away on one of the Sunset Bar banquettes…I’d do that for an hour or so until the bar opened at which time a Pina Colada would hit the spot.

The pool deck seemed less crowded than my previous cruises on the Equinox and Solstice. I fortunately hung out in the same area on the upper deck by the Mast Bar where I enjoyed the company of a wonderful group of people from Kentucky, near Cincinnati. I would enjoy the sun and the close proximity to the bar, and descend the steps from time to time to use the pool in the solarium, which was always less crowded than the outdoor pool.

Now on to food, beverages, and entertainment, too. First, Paul the Cruise Director, rocks! Although I had expected Nick Weir who I thought was tops, I was pleasantly surprised and most impressed with Paul’s great sense of finding his way around the ship. He was always out and about. As well, he has a great voice. Loved it when he belted out a couple of songs at the Pool Deck dance party.

Then there was Roland, Gandi, Dewa and Chris at the Martini Bar. These guys were magicians, wonderful conversationalists along with possessing the talent for making healthy drinks. I don’t know how anyone could ever top this group of fun loving entertainers.

Then down to the Opus Dining Room. Other than a so-so lobster tail, everything else I enjoyed was worthy of several stars. I felt that the food has improved over the years. Some of the dishes were noteworthy and outstanding. Most importantly, like in previous years, I found our waiter, Sommelier, and Captain to be top caliber, professional in every way. What I observed on the last night of the cruise was something that will stay in my mind forever. I was touched in seeing many guests hugging the crew after saying good-bye. People were crying as if they were saying goodbye to a lifetime best friend or family member. I know I did. I was so touched and Celebrity Cruises deserves much credit for recruiting such outstanding employees. Most people toss the word, family and have made it a trite descriptor for a congenial employee or customer group. In the case of Celebrity, there truly is a familial bonding between employees and guests. It is a coveted gift that we guests should always appreciate and never take for granted.

In summary, Celebrity keeps on getting it right. Sure I could pick it apart if I do desired; nothing is perfect; however, I have too much respect for my host, Celebrity Cruises, to be petty. Thank you Captain Pagonis and crew for such a lovely experience, one I shall never forget.

The Lawn Club area along with the Sunset Bar is where I spend most time while outdoors. The lawn brings me back to earth and is quite calming in the midst of all the excitement of being on a Celebrity ship. That being said, the only drawback is the Alcoves...to me they seem out of place, out of scale. Just saying.

Archived