1 hour trolley tour in santo tomas guatemala

snorkler

Has anyone taken the 1 hour Trolley Tour in Santo Tomas Guatemala? I was wondering if you can sign up for the tour when you arrive in Santo Tomas? The cost for the tour thru the ship is $29.95, so I was thinking it was probably cheaper to sign up once you get off the ship in the town. Has anyone done this? :confused: Thanks, Elaine:)

Has anyone taken the 1 hour Trolley Tour in Santo Tomas Guatemala? I was wondering if you can sign up for the tour when you arrive in Santo Tomas? The cost for the tour thru the ship is $29.95, so I was thinking it was probably cheaper to sign up once you get off the ship in the town. Has anyone done this? :confused: Thanks, Elaine:)

We took the 1 hour Trolley Tour in 2010. Don't plan on signing up in 'town' since where the ship docks is an industrial port. We had signed up through the ship and were able to go directly to the 'trolleys' which were leftovers from older Gray Line tours elsewhere.

We enjoyed the tour since it took us outside the industrial port to the nearby town and another town. Poverty was really evident. We had a delightful guide on the trolley who not only narrated but also questioned our knowledge of what she'd said.

There was cold bottled water, soda, and beer available from coolers.

Also outside the ship in the industrial port was the terminal and I think there were a variety of tours being sold there, but mainly in taxis. There was also entertainment, food, and souvenirs sold in that terminal. I spent an hour or so browsing and watching the entertainment.

If you do decide to take the trolley tour I hope you get a tour guide who was as delightful as ours. She was a kindergarten teacher in 'real life'.

IIRC, the port is also on the site of the military base, so you can't simply walk into town. Last there a few years ago, but I've been there more than once... pretty sure I'm remembering the right port.

Yes...you're remembering it correctly. We took the HAL excursion, "Tale of Two Towns"...we've been to a lot of Caribbean islands and have never seen such poverty...very very sad. :(

Our family loved the tour we took at this port. There is a marketplace just steps off the ship. The tour operators are both in front of and inside the building, we found that we could even bargain with them on the spot. We took a fantastic tour with go fish....or something to that effect. We went to the tiny island of Livingston where there is great shopping and local foods. Bought beautiful handmade jade necklaces with semi precious stones for $15 from beautifully dressed guatamalean women. Then we contined up stream to tour a cave with fossils, natural hot springs and a Mayan village where women cooked us fresh tortilla on a wood stove. All day tour for $35, the best. The river reminded me of going to the fern grotto in Kauai only much better.

Any suggestion to do in Santo Tomas Guatamala? Also can you walk around the town? Any info will help. Will be going there in 3 weeks.

Thanks!

It would be quite a walk to get to the town and I'm not sure you're allowed to walk from the industrial port to the town since you're also on a military base for part of that walk. You could take a taxi to town but there is not really anything to see imo. You could probably negotiate with one of the drivers to tour you around the town and elsewhere.

You cannot believe the poverty level in that area. No wonder the people love to see the cruise ships. It boosts their economy.

Archived