Taxi fare question

CENTEX CRUISER

We have been to Roatan twice, east and west, so we are somewhat familiar. We did Bodden once and Christopher the other time. This time we want to go to Foster's on West Bay and there will be 4 of us.. Can someone tell me what the least we can expect to pay for the 4 of us for a cab, one way or round trip ? Bodden wants the same as an island tour which would be $100 total, and we do not want a tour..As far as a regular cab, is it better to go outside the gate for a better price.I am debating whether to just get a cab , or book with someone like Bananarama, but we would rather use our own timeline. Any info would be greatly appreciated. We will be docking at Coxen on Mariner OTS. Thanks.

Gosh I gotta tell ya this has been discussed again and again...... you are going to get all kinds of answers.....some you will like and some you won't.

All I can tell you is our experience. We docked at Coxen. Walked out of the gate and down the street just a bit. We negotiated a price for a taxi for the whole day - or most of it. $15.00 per person (there were 3 of us). He took us to West End Village where he waited for us to do a dive with West End divers. Then he suggested a restaurant for lunch there and waited for us to eat and then do a bit of shopping. He then drove us to West Bay Beach where we accessed the beach via the access by Bananarama. We rented 2 loungers for $5.00 and stayed a couple of hours. He then took us back to the ship stopping along the way for some photo ops.

Some will tell you they paid $25.00 per person one way. Another recent post they said they paid $10.00 per taxi one way.

Do not pay per person unless you are negotiating for one to stay with you for the day or part of it. For a one way ride negotiate per taxi NOT per person.

If one won't provide a price you like, go to the next guy..... usually the first one will follow and come down.

I checked and you have to have 8 people for a transfer..

Foster will also to the transfer for you, day pass, drink, lounger the whole nine yards.

*Roundtrip transportation with day use is available only for groups of 8 or more. Groups with less than 8 people are most certainly welcome and may hire a taxi to Foster's from the cruise dock. This is about a 30 minute ride and will cost approximately $30.00 per 4 persons each way.. If you wish to form a minimum group with roundtrip transportation, one can post messages on the cruisecritic.com and find others to join along!

Thanks.*I meant to ask, do you like Fosters ? How would it compare to say Mayan Princess. ? I prefer a more local run facility, but would prefer it to be nice and clean and all with good food. No need for a pool. Thanks..

Sorry about that I thought it was four.

Easy enough to grab a taxi at the per person rate.

Or you can ask your roll call if anyone wants to join you.

Foster is local owned and run, by a family that has been in the island for over 200 years.

The sensibilities about clean are far different for the island folk. Hard to say if yours will correspond with the locals.

I don't come down for the food, it all seems about the same to me...it all seemed good enough to eat. :0)

I am sorry I can't be of more help but it is all about perception with people..if you accept the thing for exactly what it is all will be well. Foster's is nothing like Mayan. Foster's has far more charm lots less corporation. Far more rustic with more warmth.

I have stayed here annually for 13 years for up to seven weeks. I love the place but that in no way does that mean you will. :0)

right then, the sea is calling.

If anyone is interested, I asked Bob at Made in Roatan shop about taxi fare from Coxen to West Bay , and this was his response..

There are no real set rates, but a tour van with commentary should run you $20 each for four people and take you around the circuit to West Bay, then back when you want to return. You should be able to get a taxi there and back for $10 each for four people. If you want the same taxi to bring you back, then tell them you will pay them when you get back to the port. That way you can be assured they will show up at the time you pick for your return trip. Also, the black Islanders speak English and most of the Spanish drivers not so well...might be a consideration when picking a cab.

Blessings,

Bob

I have heard $ 10.00 and that was per taxi NOT per person. But it was EACH WAY so you are talking $20.00 total for 4 people. 3 in the back seat and 1 in the front with the driver.

I really think it depends on how much business there is that day and perhaps how well you negotiate. Gas is very expensive there so that also plays into the price. But as one taxi driver told us: a low fare is better than no fare

Thanks. I wonder how difficult it is to get them to do a round trip where you pay them when back at the ship? Y si tu puede hablar espannol, es mas facil? So if you speaky spanish, does that help ?

I have heard $ 10.00 and that was per taxi NOT per person. But it was EACH WAY so you are talking $20.00 total for 4 people. 3 in the back seat and 1 in the front with the driver.

I really think it depends on how much business there is that day and perhaps how well you negotiate. Gas is very expensive there so that also plays into the price. But as one taxi driver told us: a low fare is better than no fare

Thanks. I wonder how difficult it is to get them to do a round trip where you pay them when back at the ship? Y si tu puede hablar espannol, es mas facil? So if you speaky spanish, does that help ?

All I can comment on is how our experience was. It wasn't hard at all. And yes it helps if you can speak Spanish if your driver doesn't speak English well. My niece spent a lot of time in S. America (Peru especially) and she is fluent - she and the driver talked the whole time we were in the taxi :D

But most of the drivers speak some English - enough to know West End and West Bay and the restaurants/resort names in each. And they definitely know the money part !!!! Good luck ;)

Thanks a bunch..:)

All I can comment on is how our experience was. It wasn't hard at all. And yes it helps if you can speak Spanish if your driver doesn't speak English well. My niece spent a lot of time in S. America (Peru especially) and she is fluent - she and the driver talked the whole time we were in the taxi :D

But most of the drivers speak some English - enough to know West End and West Bay and the restaurants/resort names in each. And they definitely know the money part !!!! Good luck ;)

I can't imagine anyone getting a cab to West Bay from Coxen Hole for 10 bucks. Now if one is already in West End the cab to West Bay may be $10.

I was with a local, mind you a black guy, who paid $20 from Coxen Hole to West Bay four days ago. Doubtful a white guy would get it for less, and if ya don't walk out to he main road away from the cruise port.

These people are trying to feed there families.. offer $10 or 15 per person round trip... I don't see any reason to take advantage.

There will plenty of cabs right at the dock, but you might walk out the gate and get a better price. There is a ton of shopping right there also..Just curious why you would care to go to Mahogany ?

Just found out we are porting at Coxen Hole (thought we were going to Mahogany Bay). How easy is it to get a cab from there to Mahogany Bay and back?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived