Driver in Rome

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any experience with this limousine service "Executive Limousine Service Rome"

(www.driverinrome.com)? We are leaving for Mediterrannean Cruise in September and found fares on their website much more reasonable than cruise lines private car fares. Having no other information on them other than what is available on their website, would like any information from passengers that have utilized their services recently.

Thanks,Recon01545:)

(There seem to be 2 threads going looking for the same information)

This is who we've used a couple of times for tours as well as transportation to and from Rome. Very very good and he speaks perfect English. He is a Rome native. He also works with his son Daniele.

Here is the info on Remo:

Executive Limousine Rome

Remo Melaragno

http://www.driverinrome.com

email: shuttleservice@tiscalinet.it

We booked this service for Rome, Florence and Naples. We loved all our drivers. The best one was Aldo in Rome...he was amazing. The vans were all in excellent condition, the airconditioning worked great, and they really knew what they were doing.

Thanks Petlover & Desertbelle. We are travelling with a group of friends and some are nervous about not using cruise ship tours. The information on their website looked really good and I appreciate the encouraging comments.:)

You're welcome!

We've had much better luck through the years and in dozens of different ports with private guides rather than ship tours (too many people, too much hurry up and wait,and the straglers that delay everyone waiting on a bus for them) You will see much more, in a shorter period of time for a fraction of the ship's excursion price. Most guides will hand tailor to your own interest (more time here, less time there, etc)

Here is a copy of my review of Driver In Rome's service during our 6/5/05 Brilliance sailing. We used Driver in Rome for our Rome and Naples tours.

On the morning of our Rome tour (June 8), we were surprised to be greeted by a bright blue-eyed man whom I recognized as Remo, the owner of the company. He would provide narration for the 12 of us as we toured the city with a driver (Renato) in a 20-passenger minibus. (He’s not a licensed tour guide, so I’m not referring to him as one.) Remo told jokes, played the accordion and even sang for us during the day. We toured so many sights that I have to view the video to recall them all, but some were Capitoline Hill, St. Peter's in Chains, the Coliseum (from the outside), Constantine's Arch, Trevi Fountain, the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter's Basilica. There are a few places we missed because we used a minibus rather than a van, such as the Spanish Steps and St. Peter's Square during the Pope's Wednesday morning audience. We stopped for pizza for lunch (they charge by the kilo, so be certain to ask for small slices if you don't want to overeat or overpay) and for gelato at the end of the day (very reasonable and excellent). Remo arranged for a tour guide for us at the VaticanMuseum for 120 Euros plus the entrance fee (12 Euros), and it was well worth the price. He pointed out many things that we would have missed had we done it on our own, and we were very lucky that we had 2-1/2 hours to tour the Museum, Sistine Chapel and Basilica. Also, since we were a group, we were able to take the shortcut from the Chapel to the Basilica. It was a very busy but fabulous day.

We enjoyed Remo so much we wanted to know how to secure his participation in our Naples tour. He advised that if we gathered at least 10-12 passengers (I had eight at the time), he would get us another minibus and go along with us. Our group managed to find six more passengers, so we were a bit disappointed when Remo showed up in Naples (June 15) with a 14-passenger van. It was a bit of a squeeze and there was nowhere for Remo, who was coming down with a cold, to sit other than the floor, so I eventually gave up my seat for him and shared a single with my husband. The tour took us up into the mountains for a view over Naples, then down the other side to Ravello, where we had 20 minutes to view the town. We then spent about 30 minutes at the Hotel San Pietro, where we had to tip the "doorman" 1 Euro each on the way out. We had lunch at da Constantino, perched above Positano. For 20 Euros each including tip, we enjoyed bruschetta, marinated anchovies, grilled vegetables, and three types of pasta, along with bottled water (still and sparkling) and jugs of house red and white wines. (If you are hungry enough, you can also have a main course of fish or grilled meat for an extra charge.) It was followed by marinated oranges, almond cake, and type of flan. Since it was now about 2:15, we headed for Pompeii, where Remo arranged for a guide to meet us. We arrived just before 3:00 and went into the site (10 Euro entrance fee). The guide showed us some of the main sights during a 90-minute tour (120 Euros for the group), but we missed quite a bit. You would need at least three hours to do this area any justice, in my opinion. From there we headed back to the ship, took a group photo, and said goodbye to Remo and Luigi, our driver.

Overall, I was pleased both with Driver In Rome’s service and price. While there were a few disappointments on the Naples tour (I would have skipped the hotel and spent some time in Positano instead), I would strongly recommend this company. Please note there is little to no time for shopping during these tours. If you wish to shop, let the driver/narrator know so the agenda can be adjusted.

Hope this helps.

We used Executive Limo in 2003, mainly due to the accolades they received from these message boards. We prepared a list of things we wanted to see; emailed them to Daniele. He wrote back w/ a suggested itinerary; & we tweaked it a little as time grew nearer. After we met a few people onboard the ship, we asked if they'd like to join our tour group just to make the price a little more affordable than if it were just the 2 of us. Our driver, Aldo, met us in Civitavecchia in a late model black Mercedes. He kept us entertained w/ his great historical stories & charming wit. He took us to a wonderful restaurant (al vera Girarrosto Toscano). It was a little pricey (the group treated him to lunch as well); but was a true Italian dining experience. Although Aldo is not a "guide", he did give us a lot of background info & tips on how to navigate ourselves easily through each site. We would never have been able to cover so much ground on our own; much less w/ a ship's tour. There's nothing quite like having a driver pick you up & drop you off right at the front entrance to the "attractions" in (most welcome air conditioned comfort). On ship's tours when you arrive by bus, it can be a long hike to the front door. We also arranged for a driver in Florence the next day when our ship docked in Livorno. I have recommended Exec. Limo several times, with nothing but glowing reviews. You cannot go wrong w/ them.

I echo everything said above about DriverinRome.com. Daniele, Remo, Claudio, Fabrizzio... they are all just great. We used the service all over Italy in 2003 and are using them again in September. I have never had a driver I didn't like and they really go out of their way to make a lovely day for you. You won't regret giving your business to Daniele. Give him my best, though I expect to be seeing him myself in September.

Colette

Archived