12/3 Sailing on caribbean princess waitlisted

jayshare

I booked a bd gaurentee on CP and they just assigned me a BA. I called to check and see if there was any chance of a further upgrade to a mini suite as I can barely fit in the shower. They said that most of the categories are waitlisted. Isn't it a bit early to be sold out for a 12/3 cruise?

Princess does not take into consideration that you have a hard time fitting in the shower when it comes to upgrades, probably 1/3 of the passengers have the same problem as the showers are very small. Never depend on an upgrade but book the stateroom category you are most comfortable in. That way you are never disappointed. I have also been told in the past that calling and bugging them about upgrades is a sure fire way not to receive one.

Since the prices are usually much lower for the first two weeks in December, it doesn't surprise me at all that the minis are waitlisted. I would venture to guess that your chances of getting a free upgrade to a mini are slim to none. But, you just never know, there might be a lot of cancellations.

Some cruises are selling out rather quickly, so I'm not terribly surprised to hear that categories are waitlisted well in advance. You might find yourself on board with one or more large groups, which really isn't a problem unless they've decided to take over one of the dining room seatings for themselves. As for upgrades, they might happen. If you really want a mini, keep an eye on your sailing to see if any openings pop up. I wouldn't count on the waitlisting process by itself if you really want a minisuite.

thank you for for the info. My only requirement was a balcony which is why I did the BD guarentee. I booked thru orbitz and had them request an additional upgrade on my behalf. Coming from a family of former travel agents I know better than to bug the cruise line. BD to a BA.....you will not hear me complain at all.

if you book thru a travel agent or a site like orbitz only they can make a meaningful request for an upgrade. If you call directly it is unlikely that you will actually be added to the list.

jayshare, but coming from a family of former travel agents, you must know how the upgrades work? The answer is 'there is no answer' and unless you have the secret password, there is never a guarantee of an upgrade. Any travel agent you book with that guarantees an upgrade is pulling your leg (unless it is a booking where you book and inside and receive an outside for the same price type promotion).

Booking a guarantee doesn't mean that you will have the initial cabin that is assigned to you, but more times than not, that first cabin assigned is where you end up.

But best of luck, I hope you are one of the lucky ones. With the ships booking solid anymore, these upgrades are not given as often as they used to be. The waitlists are getting more and more the norm.

It is possible that a lot will open up between now and december. Many people cancel. I always book a guarantee and almost always get upgraded on every cruise line. Some cabins may also open up later because travel agents, groups, etc book a group of room and then let them go when they don't get filled.

The chances of going from a balcony stateroom to a mini suite on a second upgrade are about 1 in 1000. There is a chance, but it is slim. Most upgrades are within the same category, but miracles do occasionally happen. I hope one appears for you.

Archived