Question specific to Magic missing Roatan

CENTEX CRUISER

We were on the Dream in 2011 and we docked at Coxen Hole because we couldn't get into Mahogany Bay. That was in the summer when there aren't as many ships in the Caribbean, so it may depend on what other ships are scheduled in on your date.

I spent too much time worrying about the same thing. I know the Magic has missed the port based on a review I read, but I don't know what the winds were like that day. We ended up having very calm seas and were able to dock at Mahogany Bay with no problems. The Dream docked alongside us. If we had been unable to dock, we could not have docked at Coxen Hole because there were ships already scheduled to be there, but the Magic has been re-routed to CH at least once according to reviews. You can check port schedules online to see if Coxen Hole will be empty on your day.

When we expressed relief that we made it into Roatan, our private tour guide said docking at MB was more of an issue for the Carnival Dream and basically blamed the captain for being overly cautious. However, the Magic does not go to Roatan that often, and that might affect the guide's perception that it's mostly an issue with the Dream. I'm sure the guides hate all that lost revenue every time a ship can't dock.

Hi Flounder. Did they give you a reason , as wind was not an issue ?

Not Flounder:o, but I'll try to answer! My understanding it that it's the tricky currents that can often be a problem with MB...Coxen Hole is much easier to get into than Mahogany Bay.

Sorry about that. I found a cruise schedule that says Carnivla Dream, Carnival Magic, and Ryndam will be there on Mar 19 2014, if it's correct. I assume Ryndam would probably dock at Coxen, and from being there twice, I believe it will only hold one ship ? So it looks like it will be both CCL ships or nothing...Anyhow, thanks a lot for the info..

Not Flounder:o, but I'll try to answer! My understanding it that it's the tricky currents that can often be a problem with MB...Coxen Hole is much easier to get into than Mahogany Bay.

A little more research shows Dream getting there at 10 AM , and us on Magic at 8 AM , so I guess we will have first shot at it ?

• 2 months later...
We are going to Roatan for our 3rd time in April on RC Mariner. The following time will be on the Magic. I would like to know if any of you have missed Roatan when on the Magic because of winds, or if you could not dock at Mahogany, were you able to use Coxen. Thanks..

We missed Roatan back in July because of the weather. It was really a bad storm. We tried to wait it out but it just kept on so we just went around in a circle and docked in Belize the next day. We were very disappointed but it was some of the worst weather we have ever had while on a cruise. We are going again in June and hope to get to see the island this time.

Archived