Tips for bar staff??

BlueLadyBlue

Please tell me if I have this right or not. All the tips for drinks are pooled among the bar staff, yes? This means that if we order the wine package and pay the 15% tip that we can then ask for a glass of wine from our prepurchased bottles at a bar and the bar staff serving us will have shared in the tips we have already paid? I'm not saying we wouoldn't tip a bit extra but I don't want someone who is serving me not receiving part of the prepaid gratuity.

I hope you understand what I mean! TIA:confused:

want to carry a wad of dollar bills, good for tipping additionally for very good service from bar and room service staff.

The wine package is generally consumed either in your stateroom or at dinner.

The bartender can go fetch the bottle from storage but its not the rule . To answer your intial question tho, Yes its included , but for that type of on demand service I would tip in addtion to the 15% charged up front.

At dinner no . ;)

The bartender can go fetch the bottle from storage but its not the rule . To answer your intial question tho, Yes its included , but for that type of on demand service I would tip in addtion to the 15% charged up front.

At dinner no . ;)

At dinner no . ;)

Thanks, that is what I wanted to know and as it is not usual to ask for this service, we won't. Thanks again.

At dinner no . ;)

The bar staff was more than happy to collect and deliver my bottle, then we normally just carried it to the dining room.

Why is it any of your business how and who gets the tips?

I worked in bars and restaurants for 20 years. I have been the assistant and have had my assistants work for me. Nobody on the cruise is working alone!

If you enjoy the service, tip extra. You have no idea how much help that person is getting to provide a better experience for you.

Why is it any of your business how and who gets the tips?

I worked in bars and restaurants for 20 years. I have been the assistant and have had my assistants work for me. Nobody on the cruise is working alone!

If you enjoy the service, tip extra. You have no idea how much help that person is getting to provide a better experience for you.

OP asked a simple valid question wanting to ensure people get tipped and even said she may tip extra.

OP asked a simple valid question wanting to ensure people get tipped and even said she may tip extra.

And I had a valid and simple answer which comes from 20 years experience. Nobody in the service industry works alone. Where the tips go is nobody's business. If you enjoy the service, tip. Nothing else to know.

And I had a valid and simple answer which comes from 20 years experience. Nobody in the service industry works alone. Where the tips go is nobody's business. If you enjoy the service, tip. Nothing else to know.

OP, I worked in the service industry for many years as well, and your question is totally reasonable. It's absolutely your business whether the tips you pay are going to the person who sells you the package, or the person who actually serves the wine. If you aren't able to get an answer here, I'd probably ask the person who sells you the wine package. After all, if you are pre-paying the tip for the bottles of wine when you buy the package, it should be trickling down in some way to the servers who actually pour for you. It should not fall to you to have to tip twice for the same service.

Other then one poster who choose to take offence at my question your info has been very helpful and, to that one, I simply wanted to ensure that the tips go to the folks who are doing the work. Why that should upset you, I don't know! but it certainly was not my intention.:o

Archived