Carnival Triumph-A different perspective

jackdiamond

Today's Washington Times had a very interesting article vis-a-vis the so called tragedy. The author opined that most of the alleged travails were essentially media hype, with the assistance of a few misguided passengers. Interesting reading for those who ascribe to the facts, not theories.

I just found and read the article you referenced. It just goes to show that attitude is what makes the difference in how people react to a stressful situation. I thought all along that the media were only publishing/broadcasting the accounts of the passengers who were the most dramatic--sensationalism sells--and ignoring those who said it wasn't that bad. I'm sure it was uncomfortable to have no air conditioning or working toilets, but the fact is that the passengers were not in danger and the crew were doing everything possible to overcome the inconveniences. We all hope to never be in that situation, but anyone who thinks it couldn't happen on any ship is living in a dream world. If you are going to travel you must be flexible and willing to accept that things don't always go as planned.

that is only one passenger's experience; their cabin, their age etc. It does not, and should not, discredit others who may have had different issues, cabins, or other limitations and problems to contend with on this voyage. It is very easy to generalize and sit in judgment, especially from the comfort of your home office and computer.

It's good to hear a different side of this. The media is the culprit as sensationalism sells. It wasn't a bed of roses, but they hyped it up. The lawyers probably were licking their chops. :) unfortunately sue happy America will take this along way. Me personally would only want is what cash I would be out of. Make me whole.

I have no doubt that the media likes to play up the sensational part of the story. I had doubts about how bad it really was too until the photos and video's started showing up.

I'm also sure that some passengers had it much better than others. For example, the reports I heard of dirty water on the floors mostly seemed to say it started when the ship was listing which caused waste plumbing to overflow. Presuming that is true it is clear the people on the Up, or windward, side of the ship would have had no problems at the same time when those on the other side of the ship were sloshing over soaked carpeting. Some of the bathrooms on the ship continued to work and some cabins had electrical even though most didn't.

Like all other experiences on a cruise some people had the best of those on board and some had the worst. But unlike other similar issues this was different. I'd be unhappy enough stuck with one of the worst waiters on board (event though someone is on every cruise) but being stuck in a stateroom with no electricity and overflowing toilets soiling the carpeting would take things into totally different territory.

No one was hurt; no one was killed; everyone was returned safe, no one lost their possessions.

Everyone walked off after 3 days of a delay with a full refund and $500 in hand. No one starved, plenty of food and water.

Accidents happen... when you survive thats always a plus

As they say about flights," any flight you can talk about the next day was great" Same with ships.

No one was hurt; no one was killed; everyone was returned safe, no one lost their possessions.

Everyone walked off after 3 days of a delay with a full refund and $500 in hand. No one starved, plenty of food and water.

Accidents happen... when you survive thats always a plus

As they say about flights," any flight you can talk about the next day was great" Same with ships.

Amen!

This is one cruise where you would want a balcony. At least they could have fresh air without the masses. You could sleep out there if your cabin had foul carpets.

Correct. As we all know, 85% of the cabins on the S class have balconies; and, I wonder what the percentage is on the Triumph.

Archived