Transport at Carribean ports

BABBY

Hi,

we are doing the carribean treasures and latin gems itinerary on the carribean dream cruise, I understand at the ports that there are taxi's, buses, minibuses to take you to the beaches and places of interest rather than doing all the ships tours - is it best to make sure they are authourised/licenced, and if so how do we tell this.

Thank you in advance.

Hi,

we are doing the carribean treasures and latin gems itinerary on the carribean dream cruise, I understand at the ports that there are taxi's, buses, minibuses to take you to the beaches and places of interest rather than doing all the ships tours - is it best to make sure they are authourised/licenced, and if so how do we tell this.

Thank you in advance.

Usually the 'official' tour firms are nearest the port exit. Some have booths, many have identifiable uniforms and some a kind of 'head honcho' who directs operations in terms of filling up taxis in order. I think if taxi firms are allowed to operate more or less at the port terminal they are the firms which you might reasonably have confidence in.

I think it's important to check out carefully what they are offering and at what price to make sure the service is giving you exactly what you want - many will be holding illustrated maps which they use to explain where you are going and what a tour/transfer entails. And if you want a beach transfer be sure to say which beach you want (if you have a preference) as they often drop at a number of different ones if they are close together.

But it is usually highly organised in terms of lots taxis/minibuses/tour firms around and I must say we have always found them very reliable. Drivers will often have company badges and have their own names on the badge or embroidered on their shirt so they are identifiable too. On your port information sheet, Destination Services usually give you info on the local taxis and tell you if there is a recognisable registration plate letter(s) for taxis so you can look out for that too.

Archived