Maui: Road to Hana or Lahaina with OLL?

banditbandit

There are plenty of things to do but not sure whether you're seeking a busy day or a more relaxing day. You can drive the RTH part way but to me nothing that great to drive that far.

You could drive to Haleakala & the cooler Upcountry area. Generally clouds roll into the crater by midday so just like the beaches morning is best.

For sightseeing some options would be Iao Valley & Maui Ocean Center. There are good beaches in the Wailea/Makena area of South Maui. There's a nice beachfront paved walkway connecting both ends of Wailea which are about 1 1/2 miles apart. There are some nice snorkeling spots which are best before the winds kick up generally close to noon or just time on the beach.

In West Maui there's a nice beach in Ka'anapali with the Whaler's Village outdoor shopping center with some nice restaurants. Lahaina is a historical town with many shops & restaurants.

There's so many things to do & not knowing your preferences these are just a few things to do.

This is very helpful. We are into anything that they don't have in the states. We have all lived in Fla, but we don't have black beaches, big waves, and cliffs like they have in Hawaii. So we are really excited. Some shopping is good. I am going to do a little research of some of the ideas you have given. The more ideas the better. We are mostly in good physical shape so a little exercise is good too. We have to walk off all the cruise food!

This is very helpful. We are into anything that they don't have in the states. We have all lived in Fla, but we don't have black beaches, big waves, and cliffs like they have in Hawaii. So we are really excited. Some shopping is good. I am going to do a little research of some of the ideas you have given. The more ideas the better. We are mostly in good physical shape so a little exercise is good too. We have to walk off all the cruise food!

There is a black sand beach in Makena & further south there's a big area of black lava from Haleakala's most recent flow estimated to have been in the late 1700s. In Ka'anapali there's a black lava point called Black Rock which is a good snorkeling spot unless the conditions are bad & would have a red flag.

It's hard to predict big waves which are most common during the winter...when will you be there? Honolua Bay is one of the best snorkeling spots but during the winter one of the best surfing spots.

The Hawaii Vistor's Bureau has a good website:

http://www.gohawaii.com/

So many things to see & a limited amount of time...let me know if I can provide more info. Having lived in Maui & still a regular visitor I know a few things but certainly not an expert. ;)

I just cancelled my Road to Hana Tour for April because I also have a Luau booked for the same day. I just got a little panicked that we were going to be running a little too tight :confused:

My question is now... since we have the Luau booked for the evening -[ we are leaving at 5pm] What would suggest we do for the day? We don't like to rent cars by the way... Thanks in advance for any/all suggestions

What Luau did you book and how are you getting there without a car? Just curious if there is a way to travel to luau, Old Lahaina Luau in particular, without renting a car.

What Luau did you book and how are you getting there without a car? Just curious if there is a way to travel to luau, Old Lahaina Luau in particular, without renting a car.

Without a car it's expensive to get to the OLL but if going to Wailea it's less expensive for a cab or shuttle. I didn't check the prices again & based on memory it's about $150 by cab & $120 by shuttle roundtrip for two.

http://westmauitaxi.com/services_and_rates

http://www.speedishuttle.com

Public bus service is limited:

http://www.mauicounty.gov/index.aspx?NID=605&MOBILE=OFF

Archived