Fairbanks PrincessLodge SALMON BAKE??

Snowshooz

This is at Pioneer Park, the salmon bake is good, but it is now over run with endless tour buses and big crowds. A major factor that will have me not going any longer, is no exchange of dirty plates, so you have repeaters up at the buffet lines contaminating the food. Last year, I went ONLY immediately after it opened, and way before the buses showed up. The show at the Palace Theater is one of my favorites. This year I'll probably go to the Ester salmon bake since it is smaller.

Budget Queen: I am confused. Are there 2 salmon bakes in Pioneer Park? We are booked on Princess cruisetour & will be at Bear Lodge in Fairbanks first 2 nites. We were looking at the salmon bake listed on www.akvisit.com. Is this the salmon bake you mentioned in Ester or is this actually part of a Princess hotel??????

The salmon bake is at Pioneer Park in midtown not at the Princess hotel. It offers salmon, ribs, and (I think) halibut. There is another place in Ester run by the same company that offers crab, caribou stew, and a halibut dish to die for. Both have buses that pick you up at your hotel if you call and request (or at least they used to). Ester is by far my favorite, as I don't much care for salmon.

Budget Queen: I am confused. Are there 2 salmon bakes in Pioneer Park? We are booked on Princess cruisetour & will be at Bear Lodge in Fairbanks first 2 nites. We were looking at the salmon bake listed on www.akvisit.com. Is this the salmon bake you mentioned in Ester or is this actually part of a Princess hotel??????

No, only one at Pioneer, as mentioned there is no salmon bake at the Princess hotel. Ester is 20+ miles south of Fairbanks.

We went to the Salmon Bake and show at Pioneer Park last week. The salmon was good, the halibut mediocre and the cod inedible, IMO. There were no ribs at all, but they did offer prime rib. We didn't try it, but it looked pretty good. There were some locals present, and it wasn't too crowded (of course, the season is just getting going), though Pioneer Park looks like a tourist trap that is barely holding on.

I agree with BQ that the fact you reused your plate was a big turnoff to me. You put salad and meat on the same plate, and that I don't care for, either.

The show was really cute. Of the three (or was it four?) gold rush themed shows we attended, it was one of the best. It was a good brief history of Fairbanks.

I know we had folks on Princess tours on our bus as well as those of us from HAL, so I believe it is the same offering.

I called the 800# & was told no salmon bake at Ester, but they do have crab. Guess it's a toss up between the salmon in Pioneer Park or crab in Ester for us. My cruisemates cancelled their Juneau salmon bake since they thought it made more sense to eat salmon in Fairbanks where we don't get meals rather than when we're cruising. But from the comments, sounds like you all like salmon bake in Juneau or Skagway better anyway. Are we making a mistake here? We leave in less than 2 weeks. Can't wait.

I called the 800# & was told no salmon bake at Ester, but they do have crab. Guess it's a toss up between the salmon in Pioneer Park or crab in Ester for us. My cruisemates cancelled their Juneau salmon bake since they thought it made more sense to eat salmon in Fairbanks where we don't get meals rather than when we're cruising. But from the comments, sounds like you all like salmon bake in Juneau or Skagway better anyway. Are we making a mistake here? We leave in less than 2 weeks. Can't wait.

My opinion only, Thane Ore is the one to consider over all the others. As mentioned, I won't go to Pioneer Park salmon bake again.

Archived