Princess Transfers-Anchorage-Whittier

Italy52

Hi Italy52,

We just did the exact thing last week. We spent 3 days in Anchorage with a rental car and had purchased Princess transfers to Whittier. We returned the rental car to the airport-no choice here-and walked back into the baggage claim area with our luggage. Princess has a desk right there and they were waiting for us. I was skeptical of this arrangement because we had flown in days earlier but my travel agent assured me it would be okay. It couldn't have been easier. We got to the airport around 11:30 and were on the shuttle and moving by 12:15. The shuttle driver narrated along the way, we had a brief 5 minute wait at the tunnel, the lines for embarkation took maybe ten minutes and we were on the ship. Princess has many shuttles, we waited at the airport until they had enough people to fill it, and there were others behind us. I think our transfers said you had to arrive at the airport by 5:00pm. We could have gone to the convention center if not for the rental car return. The process is painless.

Sunnycal

Thanks for your response. After hearing all the options, we have decided to take the Alaskan RR to Whittier. After hearing posters experiences (train vs. bus), we thought the RR would be a great way to begin our adventure. The train benefits to us are early departure from Anchorage and freedom to move about on the train.

BTW, does your name anyway indicate you are from Sunny California? We just moved from there (Irvine and San Diego) about a year ago. Now live in Washington State. Sure do miss the sunshine.

Has anyone taken the Alaska Railroad from Whittier to Anchorage? Everyone seems to take it from Anchorage to Whittier. Which cruise is better. I have been on 4 Alaska cruises, leaving from Vancouver 7 days round trip. Only goes as far as Skagway. Thought I would try something different next year.

Archived