First time snorkeling...

dnj1

It is now reccomended when you dive deep to not keep the snorkel in your mouth because it can introduce water into the breathing passages, just let it hang from your goggles and put back into your mouth when you are ready

you have a reference for this?

OK

deep free diving is WELL beyond those depths

for vacation snork's ... ignore

as a linked topic . . .

beginner SCUBA divers are taught to never take the regulator out of their mouth unless there is a serious problem. Like no more air . . .

beginner SCUBA divers are taught to never take the regulator out of their mouth unless there is a serious problem. Like no more air . . .

Scuba and snorkeling are two very different things. A regulator is nothing like a snorkel!

And yes deep free diving can get to insane depths, but i'm talking about deep for rec snorkeling. 20 feet is still deep. I wouldn't keep a snorkel in my mouth at 20 feet. Even the pressure there gets significant. It is unlikely to be a problem, but still can be. Even at 10 feet id rather have my mouth closed. I guess it depends how long you can hold your breath and stay under too, no use if you are just down for a second. It isn't that hard to spit your snorkel out and put it back in when you come up. I'm conservative on safety though. An ounce of prevention and all.

Archived