Beijing Hotels

digby

We are looking for a deluxe hotel in Beijing for a 5 day stay before a cruise in March of 2006. We are looking for a hotel with a good location (we would like to be able to walk to some of the major attractions), service, rooms, etc. We are considering the Grand Hyatt Beijing, The Grand Hotel, and the Peninsula Palace Hotel. Any opinions of these or other hotels? Oceania will be using the Shangri-la Hotel which sounds nice, but looks to be quite some distance from things we would want to see.

I think the three choices you mention are well located and are all fine. Be aware that Beijing is quite spread out - even the main attractions not not all real close to one another, so no matter where you stay, you can't be near everyting. When we visited, we rented bikes, which was a great way to get around. I would highly recommend, if you are fit enough. There are many bikers, so you just go with the flow. The bikes were very cheap to rent.

The hotels you mention are all quite pricey, and if you are no looking to save money, book one of them. However, if you or someone else is looking for a less expensive alternative, I would recommend the Novotel Peace Beijing. Rooms there are about $100 per night, and it is located just across from the Peninsula Palace.

I have booked a group of us from the March 16 cruise at the Hyatt. It is a new property near the attractions. If you would like more information feel free to email me directly at alicetravel@yahoo.com

We probably will go with the Hyatt or the Peninsula. They both look great - at least on line. We are going to stay at the Intercontinental Hotel in Hong Kong after the cruise. We stayed there 9 years ago when it was the The Regent, and it's one of the most spectacular hotels in the world.

Stayed at the Peninsula in Nov.2004 great hotel.

Not sure about renting a bike. The only country that I would rent a bike would be Vietnam as they are still about 10 years behind (but rapidly catching up) I'm afraid that in China the Automobile has taken over. When you go out you take your life into your own hands as cars etc have the right of way..Crossing the street even on a green light can be very dangerous....

We hired guide and driver through CTS (no middleman) worked out well. Guides spoke English very well...

I have booked a group of us from the March 16 cruise at the Hyatt. It is a new property near the attractions. If you would like more information feel free to email me directly at alicetravel@yahoo.com

Will they pick you up at the airport? What about transportation to the ship? Will the hotel arrange it?

The room rate at the Shangri-La includes airport pick-up RAY

Yes, but buying the hotel package through Oceania is MUCH more expensive that booking it yourself. In December we booked our own room at the Ritz in Santiago before an Insignia cruise. It was about half the cost that Oceania was charging. The Concierge arranged a van to get us to the ship for about $15./person. I assume I'll do the same in Beijing.

Looking at the map in Fodor's and Frommer's, it looks like the Shangri-La is quite a way from the major things we want to see such as the Forbidden City. The Hyatt and Peninsula are a short walk away.

Digby, you might consider the St. Regis, check it out online............it is a beautiful retreat after exploring all day ..........I would agree about the bikes and not rent one- there is so much pollution, you might not care to put yourself amongst the fumes......and the drivers are lunatics. Car/driver is a great option and well worth the money- the city is spread out, and if you want to go at your pace, you can do so........we have lined up our guide for the entire time- we had used him before and was with us from 8am-10pm, he even waited while we had dinner and then drove us home..........one option is to book directly with CITS or through the conceriege at the hotel.......just beware of "their" cookie cutter tours.......with a bit of research, you can plan your own.;)

"Digby, you might consider the St. Regis, check it out online......"

You are right, it does look like a great hotel. It seems to be located farther away from Tin. Square and the Forbidden City than the Peninsula and the Hyatt. At least we have several good ones to pick from!

We stayed at the Beijing St.Regis in 2003 and it is indeed special- tony, sophisticated and we thought, a haven.....having said that, we will be at the Peninsula this time because (we've been there done that) and want to experience another hotel (Also, annie liebovitz did a sensational brochure, have you seen it?).......and we hope that we won't regret it! Regarding distance from T.Square and F.City, it doesn really matter since you go to those places once and its memorable but then it's OVER........ because the city is so spread out, you'll most likely take a cab or have a car at your disposa anyway- Shangri-la is another matter, that is definately too far away............hope this helps!

I was just in Beijing a few months ago in April on a pre-cruise. There were many 5-star hotels however, the guides kept mentioning the Hotel Beijing (or it may be called Beijing Hotel) I will have to look on my map for the name of the street and get back to you.

Many guides mentioned as being the best hotel in Beijing. It is also the 1st 5-star hotel. It has a long history. It has all been redone and is very beautiful - we went there for our big last night in Beijing Banguet and show. We were with Princess for this cruise.

It is right on one of the main streets. A gorgeous boulevard that would be great to walk around at night. Tons of things were very close, not to mention cabs were so cheap you would not believe it. A 20 min cab ride was a few bucks.

One of the next streets over from the Beijing hotel was Beijing's version of 5 Avenue for shopping. If you walked out of the hotel and went left the silk market was not too far up. I liked the silk market better than the Pearl market. It is brand new and very civilized.

If you turned right when in front of the hotel then you would reach Ti'anammen Square (sp?) and of course, the forbidden city was not too far down - a short walk.

There were many famous restaurants and areas to walk older Beijing in that area.

As mentioned above Beijing is a somewhat confusing city with many ring roads but many sights seemed to be around that main road. I would stay at or near the Beijing Hotel next time I went. It was an excellent area.

"we will be at the Peninsula this time because (we've been there done that) and want to experience another hotel (Also, annie liebovitz did a sensational brochure, have you seen it?"

How did you get the brochure? I must say the photos you can see on the web site make it look like a wonderful place.

Well, we are at Shangri La, and I hope it is okay. Since transportation is soo cheap, we are looking forward to seeing as much as we can. Shangri La was highly recommended by friends of ours from their earlier travels. It is great this board is going this early. I'm getting excited already.

There are a vast majority of hotels in Beijing, and while the city is sprawling, it is not a difficult city to negotiate ..........so if you stay with 4/5 star category hotels, you'll be just fine I'm sure. People seem to be more comfortable when their friend's recommend a place to them, so go for it..........

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with many of the 5-star hotels mentioned above. We were in Beijing in late April and stayed at the Beijing Hotel which someone else also mentioned. It is two blocks from Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City. Taxis are very easy to get and reasonably priced to other areas.

One of our best walks was an hour after arriving at the hotel about 4 pm. We walked down to the Forbidden City and although the buildings were closed we paid about $1 to go inside and walk around the gardens and around the outisde of the buildings. There was no one there and was a wonderful opportunity to take photographs.

We thought the location could not have been better.

The Beijing Hotel was being used as headquarters by the "Opposition Leader" from Taiwan while he was there visiting the China government. Lots of interesting sites as he and his wife went in and out of the hotel.

Enjoy!

Pat

For any one interested in purchasing wine to carry on board. Montrose wines is a broker in China catering to expats. If you go to their website you will find an extensive list of wines and good prices. Last Nov. prior to arrival in Beijing we had 2 cases of wine delivered to the Palace Hotel. It was interesting to watch people's faces as we boarded the ship with luggage and wine in tow.

We even took 5 bottles down the Yantze and stored the remainder at the hotel when we went on our 2 week land excursion.

I've stayed at the China World Hotel (which is one of the Shangri-La hotels) a number of times. Service has always been superb and the hotel is lovely. It is an easy cab ride from there to Forbidden City area. The free dry cleaning and laundry is a nice touch - especially when I was there in hot humid summer.

For those who would like something more economical but convenient location and still quite comfortable and nice, there is the JianGuo Garden Hotel which is a walkable distance from Tiananen Square with a subway stop near by for getting to other spots.

Archived