Plymouth, England Port Question

Typed this earlier, but I think I lost the thread. I apologize if this is a duplication.

On Jewel of the Seas soon, will tender to Plymouth, England, seas permitting. Once the tender arrives in port, is it necessary to get transportation to the sights? Or are the sights within walking distance of the pier.

Thinking of walking around Plymouth, stopping by the Mayflower sight, etc. Have not booked an excursion here.

Appreciate any suggestions. Thank you!

Sleddogs

We will be on the Aug 31, sailing of the Jewel of the Sea and we are planning on taking the Plymouth Gin Distillery Tour and doing a pub lunch across from the Distillery. there is a website on our sailing that explains the tour. I would love to hear what you have done in Plymouth after your sailing on the Jewel of the Seas. Happy Sailing, Joy

Hi,

We were in Plymoth last Semptember on the Jewel, took a taxi when we got off the tender. The tenders went very slow both going and comming. Seems like it was cheaper than taking the RCCL bus/shuttle. The town was too far for us to walk, however we did see others walking. Our cab driver, Roger, was very nice and took us on a tour before we went to the Gin Factory tour. Seems as he had a date with Rosie (the lady who books the Gin Factory tours) the night before. He told us to tell Rosie hello, when we did she got a big smile on her face and became rather flushed! She just waved us in and did not charge us anything for the tour. We had made reservations on the web site. I would recomend this as the factory is small and they only take 15 to 20 people at a time.

The tour was very short but nice. (My kind of tour) You got a coupon for a free drink at the bar upstairs or a small (airline size) bottle of gin. We did not want to pack the Gin home, so we just bought a bottle ti drink on the ship. Mixed it with Bitter Lemon as suggested by some shipmates from London, made for a very refreshing drink.

We ate lunch at a pub just down the street from the Gin factory. Walked around the town and hit another pub, saw the Mayflower steps and another pub then back to the ship.

Did not want to do any of the ships tours as we did tours in Normandy and Ireland, so just wanted a relaxing port day. There is not a lot to seee at the Mayflower steps, a plaque marking the departure for the new world.

Hope youl have a wonderful time on the beautiful Jewel!

May also want to check out the Ports of Call borad for more info.

Hi Sue!

Sounds like you had a nice time. I appreciate your input. We have so many excursions going right now, a relaxing day in port sounds good. Will check out that distillery tour & the port of call boards. Many thanks!

Denise "Sleddogs"

We were on the inaugural British Isles, Paris, and Amsterdam cruise on the Splendour of the Seas in 1996. At Plymouth, we took the ship's tour to the charming seaside fishing village of Polperro. It is the site of the original "Blue Peter Inn", and was delightful. We ate Cornish pasties sitting on the seawall of the harbor and had to fend off marauding seagulls who had developed quite a taste for Cornish pasties and clotted cream with strawberries. Very quaint and enjoyable. The residents and shopkeepers were exceedingly friendly. I think we were the first cruise group to ever visit there. Even our coach driver got lost on the way back, but since it was a ship's tour, they held the ship for us. It was one of the highlights of our trip.

Allen

Archived