PVP not so happy.

k2

So I was searching out cruise pricing on Carnivals website. Of course, I start getting those voicemail " Hi XX, this is XXX, your Personal Vacation Planner. I just wanted to talk to you about some of our amazing specials". He was actually calling 3x a day :eek: I had chosen to book with the same travel agency I used the last time I booked, so when he called back... I answered. He gave me the same introduction, and I said "thanks for calling but I already booked with my travel agent." He said," What? You booked?" I said, " yes, but thank.... and he hung up on me!!! Mid sentence.... Now that is service! LOL :confused:

I received a couple of those calls as well...same thing. Funny thing is, I have been on touch with another PVP for years but never booked with her because the travel agent I was using was always able to get me a better rate. It wasn't until this year (because of the lowest price guarantee) that I used the PVP who I'd been talking to for years. I had to actually send her an e-mail stating that I only wanted to work with her so the others who were leaving me messages would back off. I have much respect for her though because she is giving me all kinds of good tips so the PVPs can be very helpful!

I used the PVP for the first time for my next cruise. I got a lower price of about $40 dollars higher category cabin. But while speaking to him I got the sense that while they do call often when they know you are looking at the carnival website, they sure don't seem to make agressive offers.

Me personally I don't understand that 3 day sale deal where they raise the price of the cruise and then offer you the discount by giving you an OBC. Then after the sale they drop the price back to what it was. So really there was no sale? Or am I missing something?

I recently called when I could not get boarding passes to print for our upcoming "paid cruise" which also had OBC - the error code said couldnot print until paid in full HUH??. I have been using a wonderful TA for over ten years and when I called Carnival to get software glitch figured out, they were very rude attitude that I used a TA and that the TA should fix it. (My TA happened to be out, but answered my email within an hour on a Saturday.)

They even called my TA at home, and she spent two hours talking to their accounting department and IT dept to see that Carnivaly had errroneouldy taken off "paid in full" when OBC was added, and also never applied her commision. She said it was the rudest service ever and and said that she never gets that attitude with other cruise lines. Why does it matter who book the cruise?

They got their booking.

I used the PVP for the first time for my next cruise. I got a lower price of about $40 dollars higher category cabin. But while speaking to him I got the sense that while they do call often when they know you are looking at the carnival website, they sure don't seem to make agressive offers.

Me personally I don't understand that 3 day sale deal where they raise the price of the cruise and then offer you the discount by giving you an OBC. Then after the sale they drop the price back to what it was. So really there was no sale? Or am I missing something?

No you are not missing anything. Smoke and mirrors.

I get emails and post cards from Princess and HAL too which say hurry sale is only good for 7 days.

i look at the sale prices and they are the same as before the sale started. Not really a sale at all.

What kind of aggressive offers are you looking for? Like for them to cut the price that's advertised?

If so that will never happen as they are not allowed to do anything like that. No OBC's, free gratuities, nada.

Bill

A couple of hints - never sign in when you look at the website. Also, when I am pricing cruises, although I select the VIFP member on the pricing, I also select that I don't want to include my number. From reading this board, many of us have figured out that if you sign in, it triggers an alert to the PVPs.

I tried a PVP for one cruise. AFter that cruise, he called so often, I finally told him to put me on the do not call list and that I will call him if I need something from him. I book my self and get better service -- if I have a question, I call the general line and talk to whoever answers.

I have been using the same PVP for many years. I am happy with him and have no plans to change.

About 8 months ago I started receiving calls and emails from another PVP. She would call and email everytime I visited the CCL site. I didn't answer the phone but she always left a message. I did email her back telling her I had a PVP I was happy with. She responded back she was just trying to help out my PVP. The emails stopped but the calls continured for about a month (about 20 calls-both cell and home). I finally called my PVP and let him know someone was apparently trying to steal his clients. I gave him her extension number so he could deal with her. Like I told him, we own a retail business where our salespeople work off commission and trying to steal each others customers is a no-no and can get you in trouble. The calls stopped immediately.

Well it has started again a couple of weeks ago-different PVP. I emailed him and he also said he was "helping" my PVP out. I finally got fed up with it and answered the phone and told him, once again, I have a PVP I am happy with and if he called or emailed me one more time I would call and talk to a supervisor and see if they could get him to stop. So far, so good.

I have to wonder is Carnival sanctions this "harassment". Both PVP's used the same terminology (helping my PVP out) when responding to my emails. I have spoken with my PVP and he said next time it happens just get their name and ext # and he will take care of it.

What is a Personal Vacation Planner? Do they work directly for Carnival or for a 3rd party that contracts people to work from home and gets a commission from each sale? Can they do anything else for your vacation other than a cruise, ie hotels, transportation, airline flights? Just curious.

well... i used a ta and we were booking several cabins. 12 of them. we all went through my ta as i wanted him to get credit for all of the rooms. well it just so happened that one person booked online while at work.

my ta called me very pushy asking why someone had booked and been linked to my booking and why didnt they call him?

it was so strange. im avoiding my ta at the moment.

he has called me every time i log into carnival and im just tired of it.

I have asked our pvp to not call unless we call her or if something important has occured and she needs to tell us.

Works great.

That's what I did. I told her that when we were ready to book, I'd call.

When I booked our last Liberty trip online, I immediately received an email (autoresponder) saying that "she was trying to get in touch with me". Uh, no you weren't! I do feel bad that she missed out on her commission - but, I really don't see the upside to having a PVP since I price check, and apply for price reductions myself anyway.

What is a Personal Vacation Planner? Do they work directly for Carnival or for a 3rd party that contracts people to work from home and gets a commission from each sale? Can they do anything else for your vacation other than a cruise, ie hotels, transportation, airline flights? Just curious.

They are Carnival employees.

I booked my first cruise with a TA, because the guy who answered the phone with Carnival couldn't answer my questions about my DH not being a US Citizen and what he would need for the cruise to get back into the US. He was a bit pushy and so I went with the TA.

Some online friends later gave me the number to their PVP and I have used her on the rest of my cruises. My PVP is great and has called me in between bookings but it has only been recently to check and see how I am doing since I had my surgery and started chemo.

We've tried several PVP's...don't quite get their purpose....NONE have ever done anything for us different from what we can book on our own.....once book they kind of disappear, getting a return phone call is rare, neither have gotten nor told us of any price drops, we file the forms on our own. They are "order takers" only....and all of us can do that on our own.

There seem to be alot of PVP's, most of whom don't do very much except initially "book"....so here's a tip CCL...... maybe CCL should be looking at a workforce reduction of the useless PVP position to save alot of corporate $$, instead of sacrificing the pax's experiences on cruises these days, with all the on board recent cuts in dining, live music, and general entertainment????

I've booked 2 cruises directly online with Carnival.

I search cruises, logged in, at least 10 times a week.

I've never been contacted, ever....I feel so unimportant....LOL

I've even called them and upgraded twice - each time having to guide whoever answered the phone to the room I wanted with the specific rate plan. They had a heck of a time getting the room/price I was getting online, each time initially getting me something not as good.

I think they know I'm one cheap SOB. I don't know how else to explain never getting calls :confused::cool:;)

I like my Pvp, he never calls to push anything on me and his room recommendations haven't let me down yet. He's probably saved me some heartache and I know some money. I check the site often while logged in and he nor anyone else has ever called. Am I just lucky?

I had never booked with this PVP and after he rudely hung up on me... I can assure you... I never will! Just found it interesting that as soon as he knew he was no getting the sale.. click... no good bye.. no enjoy your cruise... just click!

If you've ever logged onto the Carnival website you'll need to clear the cookie that brings up your sign in info every time you look at the page.

I finally figured that out. Odd thing, if I was playing around mock booking, my son would get the phone call. He went with us but he sure wasn't primary.

I left a message for her this week, when I need something I'll call, otherwise leave us alone.

Archived