helping plan a honeymoon cruise

Virga

I have a couple of dear friends getting married this September, and they're considering a cruise. They were originally going to book an all-inclusive, but I told them they could probably have a really nice cruise experience for the same cost as the all-inclusive. She just wants tropical relaxation for the most part, but they both like the idea of 'real' restaurant meals and visiting multiple islands.

Between the wedding date and the amount of time they can both get off work, though, their options are limited. They're willing to fly somewhere if needed, but Florida ports are preferred. I'm pretty sure I want to rule out the Fantasy and Sovereign class ships, which leaves:

30 Sep - 5 night Carnival Victory to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, and Nassau

30 Sep - 4 night Royal EnchantmentOTS to CocoCay and Nassau

30 Sep - 4 night Golden Princess to Santa Barbara and Ensenada

2 Oct - 4 night Carnival Miracle to Catalina Island and Ensenada

I'm leaning towards the Victory sailing in an aft wrap balcony. Hopefully the cheers program will still be operational. It would be a fairly inexpensive option, which would allow things like a Cabana rental on Half Moon Cay, a really nice meal in Nassau, a really cool excursion in Grand Turk... I just wish the Victory had a steakhouse! Actually, I really wish they could take a weeklong cruise on one of the newer ships, but their wedding date pretty much rules that out =/

Do you think having an aft balcony on the Victory would compare favorably to your typical all inclusive vacation in Jamaica or Cancun? I've never been on the Victory and feel very uncomfortable recommending a ship I'm unfamiliar with... I'd appreciate any advice or pros/cons about any of these cruises. Thanks so much!

Do you think having an aft balcony on the Victory would compare favorably to your typical all inclusive vacation in Jamaica or Cancun? I've never been on the Victory and feel very uncomfortable recommending a ship I'm unfamiliar with... I'd appreciate any advice or pros/cons about any of these cruises. Thanks so much!

No offense to the Victory or any Carnival ship, but if your friend's budget allows it, I would choose a cruise line that offers something a bit more polished for (what's supposed to be) a once in a lifetime honeymoon cruise. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Carnival product greatly, but it's a budget experience. I'm sure some people will say that it would be great for a honeymoon, others (myself included) would say it's not.

To answer your question, NO a balcony cabin will NOT compare to a room at an all inclusive, in size, ammenities, and perks.

My initial reaction would be to pick the Golden Princess out of LA, but it seems like a long distance to go for a 4 night cruise. Maybe they could stay a pre or post cruise stay in the LA area at a nice hotel to make it worth the flight. Pretty tough decision.

Ask your friends what they look forward to during their honeymoon (besides the obvious). A cruise is truly not for everybody, no matter how we, cruise addicts think they are.

To answer your question, NO a balcony cabin will NOT compare to a room at an all inclusive, in size, ammenities, and perks.

My initial reaction would be to pick the Golden Princess out of LA, but it seems like a long distance to go for a 4 night cruise. Maybe they could stay a pre or post cruise stay in the LA area at a nice hotel to make it worth the flight. Pretty tough decision.

That's the other plan I'm putting together for them, actually - I had hoped to put them on a 5* or higher ship. Unfortunately, duty calls and he must be back the following Monday - which leaves the very limited options I listed =/ I'll put together a plan for the Princess / California trip because I do think they'd enjoy it, and I think he said he's never seen the Pacific.

They want to cruise very much, but given these options I'm hesitant to recommend a cruise the way I would if it were, well, anything other than their honeymoon. I should also say that they've never done an all inclusive, either - their vacations have typically been hotels and vacation homes.

I'm grateful for advice and discussion from both sides on this one.

I booked my fiance and my honeymoon on the Sept 29 6 day Freedom cruise, Sun-Sat out of Fort Lauderdale. But a big factor was my fiance did not want to go to mexico, or a private island where she couldn't see "island life" so to speak. She likes going around and seeing things that wouldn't be at HMC, like taking a harley tour of Grand Cayman. I've cruised before and the 4 and 5 days ones are just too short for me, having two days at sea leaves us those two days of time to just be with eachother, and not worry about missing something at port.

I had the same issue with time off from work, having only 1 week vacation time, We will be married on the 28th, fly out at 530 the next morning and board the ship, and on the saturday we get home, we'll be home by 10pm on saturday, leaving us a day to unwind after before going back to work.

Archived