Marseilles Tours to Provence

california_sunshine

Hi all!

We are heading to Marseilles on a HAL Mediterranean cruise on July 27th from 8-5pm. I know it's not nearly enough time to see the region - we'll realistically get a small snapshot! Roll Call hasn't been too active yet so I'm just doing some preliminary research. We dock at Marseilles and I'm looking for a non-cruise tour operator to take us to Provence for a couple of hours. Any tour company recommendations that won't break the bank? We'd like to keep it under $100/person for 4-5 hours, but we'd be open to a longer tour if suggested. I have checked Trip Advisor and I see a lot of private tour companies which are seriously expensive!

Thanks in advance!:)

We think you might want to consider several facts. Marseille is a wonderful gateway port to a small part of Provence but before you jump onto a tour think about what you want to see and do during that too short day. For example, it is very easy to simply go to Aix en Provence on the train or regional bus and the cost will be quite cheap. Once in Aix you can get around on foot (or even hire a taxi if you choose) and enjoy a nice day in one of the best cities of Provence. It is also possible to use the train to get to a few other places (none quite as fast and convenient as Aix). If you decide to take a tour you will spend a lot more money and would certainly want to see more then Aix. For example, a good itinerary might include a visit to Les Baux, Arles and Pont du Gard. Or perhaps a visit to Avignon. Just keep in mind that nobody works "cheap" in France so if you want a guided excursion you are going to shell out more Euros. One way to save money on an excursion is to put together a larger group (say 8) which allows you to save some money. If your Roll Call remains inactive this is a bummer...

Hank

Archived