new to thomson cruises

Hi never done thomson before, done other cruises, all of them enoyed, princess, RCI, Fred olsen. just booked today on majesty then read some info on here about noise, rough seas, feeling bit worried, we opted for lower grade cabin to do a 3 day stay in teneriffe, anyone done that?

few questions if anyone can answer

what time do you get to hotels, is transfer ok?

are cabins as bad as some say, we booked inside plus

what is dress code?

anyone done canaries in march, is it really choppy?

what is hand baggage allowance?

just paid extra to book seats on plane, but cant look what available till tomorow....hope get two together!!

I was looking forward more to it before i booked it, anyone else like me...stupid!!

saw on thread pic of can get 20 pints of beer for set price, how does that work and do they still do it?

Are you me by any chance Trinity?? :D I'm thinking all these things too but keep putting off booking for some unknown subconcious reason! I've watched so many you tube videos of this ship,,read every post I can find on here,,I decide we are doing it (in march also) and then I read more stuff about it and it puts me off again. I shouldn't read any more! A family friend has recently done it and he said it's a nice enough ship and would sail on her again. He reckons that coming back from Madeira it was so rough people were falling out of their chairs in one of the bars:eek: That kind of worries me but you could that anywhere.

Trinity ..Go online just after midnight and book your seats then ;)

Cappers Don't worry about the sea being that rough, before I stepped foot on a Thomson ship I did a few runs over the North sea

on the P&O ferries to see if I/we could cope .

Here I am ready and raring to go for my 4th Thomson cruise :D

We have had one day of a force 9 and yes it was a bit wobbly ,that was on the Destiny and I can assure you if it was that bad we

would have got off and flown home same as loads of others would have but we have not and do not know anyone who has done so either.

Will finish by saying the Majesty was a lot smoother ride as well and try not to book a cabin to the aft of the Medical Centre on deck four as it is a bit noisey :eek: Enjoy your cruises ;):):D

sounds like we are like minded! I finally decided to book as we once did a cruise from dover in August and got really bad weather couldnt go out on deck, two ports of call cancelled and we still had a good cruise!

I know i can talk myself in our out of anything depending on which head i have on.

good luck in your decision making, we have cruised to canaries before but from england that was beg of April from Liverpool and that was smooth.

all the best.

Hi never done thomson before, done other cruises, all of them enoyed, princess, RCI, Fred olsen. just booked today on majesty then read some info on here about noise, rough seas, feeling bit worried, we opted for lower grade cabin to do a 3 day stay in teneriffe, anyone done that?

I did a cruise and stay in Corfu in Sept. Great idea....would like to have done it this time.

few questions if anyone can answer

what time do you get to hotels, is transfer ok?

Transfer should be well organised. In Corfu we left the ship at about 11.00am

are cabins as bad as some say, we booked inside plus

The plus cabins are fine and have plenty of storage. It's the standard ones that are very small.

what is dress code?

There is one formal night and the rest are smart casual. There has been lots of discussion on here regarding this.

anyone done canaries in march, is it really choppy?

I haven't yet, but soon to find out. Am well stocked with sea sickness tablets just in case.

what is hand baggage allowance?

7 kg each for cruises

just paid extra to book seats on plane, but cant look what available till tomorow....hope get two together!!

You will, we always get 2 together if get to airport early.

I was looking forward more to it before i booked it, anyone else like me...stupid!!

You are not stupid, do some research of the ports of call and you will get as excited as me! :)

saw on thread pic of can get 20 pints of beer for set price, how does that work and do they still do it?

Yes they still do a drinks package. You buy it when you get on board. Others will have more details

Hope you enjoy researching your cruise. There is a lot of information on here and lots of people to help you.

Hi trinitytrees,

We went in February and the weather was much better than I had anticipated. It was a bit rough up to Madeira, but I have known worse ;)

We really liked the ship. My favourite ship has up to now been the Braemar, but the Majesty is now in the running to replace it. One thing we liked was that, in the evening, like the Braemar, the buffet's tables are laid with tablecloths and fresh flowers, unlike the Celebrity Eclipse, which resembled a works canteen:eek:

We had cabin 426 (outside plus)just by the forward lifts and it was very quiet. We had two wardrobes and loads of drawers. I would say the cabin is about the same size as FO standard cabins. The only place we heard any noise was in the bar at the back of deck 7, whose name I can never remember :o

I thought I had made a note of the the beer packages, but can't find it. Dave will know :)

We have never booked seats together. This time we stayed overnight at Premier Inn for £29, put our cases in the night before and got seats together, instead of paying £58 to Thomsons

I think you will enjoy the Majesty. The passengers and crew are very friendly, just like on Fred :)

cruisin Linda i thought i had read reviews on forum about Fred Olsen. Glad you liked the majesty, we too like the Braemar, so reassured if it is similar,

Braemar was our first FO cruise and in very bad weather.

I prefered tablecloths in buffet restuarants so that is good.

We opted for inside plus,

Do you know if there is any ballroom or sequence dancing?

whats age range like, will we be the oldies at 60?

thanks for posting :)

cruisin Linda i thought i had read reviews on forum about Fred Olsen. Glad you liked the majesty, we too like the Braemar, so reassured if it is similar,

Braemar was our first FO cruise and in very bad weather.

I prefered tablecloths in buffet restuarants so that is good.

We opted for inside plus,

Do you know if there is any ballroom or sequence dancing?

whats age range like, will we be the oldies at 60?

thanks for posting :)

There were all ages on board :)

There was dancing every night in the Royal Fireworks, but not sure what sort as we always went to the Jubilee lounge as we like the shows.

Between the shows in the Jubilee Lounge the resident band, called Muzzik Unlimited played all sorts of music. The female singer was very good.

Thomson entertainment is brilliant. Majesty probably doesn't do it justice as it doesn't have a theatre like the Dream, but it was still very good :)

IMO average age of passengers is 65

The onboard drinks packages are not the same as the 'AI' package which would cost £219 onboard.

For example you can buy 20 pints of lager for £49.95. you are given a drinks package slip which you present when ordering a pint and the till deducts 1 from your total of 20. If you don't present the slip you pay as normal.

You do not have to drink them all in one session :D

There is also a non alcholic cocktails/soft drinks package plus several wine packages.

There were dancing classes as currently Majesty has two professional dancers aboard and they give classes as well as doing their own act and taking part in the moulin rouge show. I don't know much about dancing but they looked impressive to me.

there is one captains reception/formal night with dinner jackets/suits etc the norm. Unlike some other cruise lines this only applies to the reception and main dining room. Everywhere else and on all other evenings smart casual is the way to dress.

No, we did Canarian flavours this time, but we did Colourful coasts a few years ago.

Agadir is like Marmite - you will love it or hate it :rolleyes: You will get lots of varying pieces of advice on here :D

The place where the ship docks is a long way from Agadir, but there are lots of taxis on the dock. They are very persistant :rolleyes: We stayed on the ship in the morning and ventured off in the afternoon for a short walk along the dock, but they were still hassling :eek:

We had a week in Agadir shortly after that cruise and we actually did the trip to Taroudant and the souk. The souk was filthy and there was a fire and we all had to run out :eek: We saw the goats in the trees, but otherwise I wouldn't recommend it.

We are going there next year on the Braemar. If Fred doesn't do a beach trip, we shall probably stay on board :rolleyes:

Hi there...

Can someone explain what Inside plus is ?

Thank You

Inside plus cabins are a bit larger than standard insides. They are also mostly grouped in more desirable areas of the ship away from the noise of the engines and vibration from the propellors.

Majesty's cabins are somewhat on the small side and a lot of cruisers will opt to pay for a plus cabin to gain the extra space.

Hi there...

Thank You

It's an inside cabin which can sleep 3/4 so it has one or two fold down bunk beds which can be used for a family group although often they are 'sold' for just double occupation when the bunks are left folded up. These cabins are bigger than the standard double (either inside or outside - they are the same size but of course the outside has a porthole/window).

Ther are some pictures I posted some time ago of Majesty which includes shots of a standard inside and outside double and of a outside plus (with one bunk folded up so it would sleep 3). It takes a little while for it to load properly once you click the link and therefore let you scroll through the arrows but if you do you will see the different types of cabin as well as other parts of the ship. I've labelled the pictures at the bottom of each one so you will spot the standard and plus cabins.

http://s1149.beta.photobucket.com/user/cruwza/media/Majesty/09de570a.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Hi there...

Thank You

Hi Libra Lynn

I find the "outside plus" cabins depend on which ship they are booked. As Kruzseeka said they normally have an extra folding bed, but on the Dream I have booked an outside plus for 2 which were listed separately from the 4 berth category (still same price & sq footage). On the Island escape they call the same type of cabin "Premier".... They all seem to have the same thing in common though, in that they are no wider than a normal cabin, just a bit longer. You look to have to go up another grade or so to get anything "Wider"

Hi Libra Lynn

I find the "outside plus" cabins depend on which ship they are booked. As Kruzseeka said they normally have an extra folding bed, but on the Dream I have booked an outside plus for 2 which were listed separately from the 4 berth category (still same price & sq footage). On the Island escape they call the same type of cabin "Premier".... They all seem to have the same thing in common though, in that they are no wider than a normal cabin, just a bit longer. You look to have to go up another grade or so to get anything "Wider" [/color]

Actually Stevio there is a difference in the width on Majesty between the standard double and 'Plus' (but they may be the same length!) There's a small bedside chest either between the beds if set out as a twin or it's at one side of the bed if arranged as a double - the other side of the bed being against the wall. There's not enough room to leave space both sides of the bed.

The 'Plus' cabin is wider - and I think if you look at the pictures you will see there is a significant difference in the space between the beds. The foot of the bed in the standard double touches the side of the wardrobe. In the 'Plus' I think you can see there is a chest at the base of the bed as because of the extra width it looks to me as though the wardrobe is on the opposite side to the en-suite whereas they are on the same side in the standard doubles. That may mean you have a a longer run of hanging space too. But there's no doubt there is more usable floor space in the Plus.

Actually Stevio there is a difference in the width on Majesty between the standard double and 'Plus' (but they may be the same length!) There's a small bedside chest either between the beds if set out as a twin or it's at one side of the bed if arranged as a double - the other side of the bed being against the wall. There's not enough room to leave space both sides of the bed.

The 'Plus' cabin is wider - and I think if you look at the pictures you will see there is a significant difference in the space between the beds. The foot of the bed in the standard double touches the side of the wardrobe. In the 'Plus' I think you can see there is a chest at the base of the bed as because of the extra width it looks to me as though the wardrobe is on the opposite side to the en-suite whereas they are on the same side in the standard doubles. That may mean you have a a longer run of hanging space too. But there's no doubt there is more usable floor space in the Plus.

The chest at the base of the bed in our plus cabin contained the fridge, then there was the shower room on the same side. This meant that at the other side there was additional wardrobe space probably equivalent to that fridge cupboard.

We had 446 which was an outside plus. It was laid out in twin configuration and had two sets of drawers between the beds. At the bottom of one bed was the dressing table with hairdryer in one of the drawers then a double wardrobe, with safe and set of drawers inside, and a single wardrobe. At the bottom of the other bed was the fridge with tv on top then the bathroom with wet room type shower.:)

Thanks for that Cruzseeka. I was idly generalising about the ships I had been on and made some dodgy conclusions. But good info from you about the Majesty (& good pics).

I like the double bed but hate it when the only route out of it is to slide down out of the bottom, or if that way is blocked by a wardrobe, to clamber over the Mrs. Your pictures of the Majesty cabins are most informative in that if I wish to avoid the above scenario I should be looking for an outside plus, and also thus avoiding giving Mrs Stevio fits of the giggles at myself trying to make it to the loo in a dark cabin whilst traversing that two yard distance that is fraught with countless mantraps.

Seriously though, very good pics & will definitely go for the wider cabin if booking the Majesty. :)

Thanks for that Cruzseeka. I was idly generalising about the ships I had been on and made some dodgy conclusions. But good info from you about the Majesty (& good pics).

I like the double bed but hate it when the only route out of it is to slide down out of the bottom, or if that way is blocked by a wardrobe, to clamber over the Mrs. Your pictures of the Majesty cabins are most informative in that if I wish to avoid the above scenario I should be looking for an outside plus, and also thus avoiding giving Mrs Stevio fits of the giggles at myself trying to make it to the loo in a dark cabin whilst traversing that two yard distance that is fraught with countless mantraps.

Seriously though, very good pics & will definitely go for the wider cabin if booking the Majesty. :)

Good decision! ;)

Archived