First Time Oxygen User needs cruise advice! Driving to Port of Miami.

wsantelope

Hi everyone!

I'm a regular cruiser and have a cruise booked August 17th on the Carnival Breeze out of Miami.

Mom just got oxygen delivered and prescribed for 24/7 use this week and I haven't even gone over her equipment. I've just laid eyes on it. I know NOTHING about oxygen, and I'm a planner, so HELP! :eek::eek::eek:

I don't know anything about brands, names etc., but here's what I do know:

In her home, she has a large, blue, square concentrator on wheels for use at home that is about knee(?) height. She also has 2-3 LARGE (4ft?) bottles on little carts and about 6-8 small bottles that go in a purse/packet thingy. They last a few hours and can be changed out by the people who come by her house.

We have a Honda Element and just the two of us are driving from Texas, so there should be PLENTY of room to bring whatever I need to, I just don't know what that is!

I don't know what to bring, not to bring or to ask for or what services I might need along the way!

That's why I'm asking now! :D

We are staying at a chain motel near the airport in Miami the night before and were planning a cab to the pier. We will be in a different motel in Alabama two days before departure. We had planned on taking about 3 days to get back home.

I see a lot of threads on here and a lot about money, planes and different equipment, but I know just enough to be dangerous! Tell me please someone what I need to know!

Mom will also be bringing a scooter and a CPAP.

I saw on Carnival's site that I will have to hand-carry, yes?

Can I use a porter for all/some of this, or check it in some place at the pier?

This might be mom's last, big vacation, so I'd like to make it work and be special.

She is on a fixed income, but if I can plan/work towards something now, we have time.

Thanks in advance for any advice/recommendations!

Do you live near your mom? If yes, be at her home when the oxygen provider she uses comes to deliver supplies and find out if she can use a concentrator and if they will give her a loaner unit for the trip. If you aren't nearby then you are going to have to try to learn about her condition and what she is using by phone. This will probably require a conference call as the provider won't want to talk to you without her permission. Also, her doctor will have information on whether she is getting pulse or constant flow. All of this determines on what she needs to take on vacation. I don't use oxygen but was a nurse for many years including several with home health and different patients needed different therapies. You can rent supplies from http://www.carevacations.com or http://www.specialneedsatsea.com. I hope you have a great time. You have sufficient time to be up-to-speed by the time you cruise.

The "blue square thing on wheels" is an oxygen concentrator and is what your Mom can use in your cabin on the ship and in a hotel room. You need to find out the options for traveling via car and traveling around the ship. You need some type of "portable oxygen" or POC as they are called. You can't get enough of those "bottles" in your car and on the ship (if they are allowed) for your whole trip. She will need to rent some type of POC that will work in the car and on the ship. Her hometown supplier is the best source to start your research. Start soon ... it takes time to learn all about this. FYI - some "hometown suppliers" will not allow you to take their equipment on cruise ships. As I said - start planning now and you WILL find a solution to her oxygen needs.

Hope you and Mom and a great cruise!!

Most likely, the company renting the equipment will not allow the equipment out of the USA. The should loan you a portable concentrator for on the road and tell you to rent one for on the ship from http://www.carevacations.com or http://www.specialneedsatsea.com. Make sure both concentrators will fill a small bottle or are small enough to take with you when she leaves the cabin. Maybe something like http://www.sequal.com/ or http://www.vitalitymedical.com/inogen-one-g2-portable-oxygen-concentrator-system.html

Call and speek with her provider first thing. They should have experience to get you started. Then call the cruise line and speek with the special needs desk. They will be able to advise you on what you can and can not bring or have delivered to the ship. Then post again to let us give you some inside information. Everyone here has lots of experience in one area or another. BUT - you need to get with the providers first so you know what to ask for and what personal information you need to have handy.

FYI - oxygen usage is one of the easier things to handle once you are familiar with her needs. She may decide she likes the freedom it brings.

"Big Blue thing on wheels" = full size oxygen concentrator.

POC = Portable oxygen concentrator - light weight ment to be used in car, shopping, cruising etc. Some use "pulse" flow only, some use pulse or continuous. A pulse flow will last longer on a charge. c-pap usage requires continuous flow.

Thanks for the replies!

So, We are working with her supplier (Lincare) to get her into a POC. I have suggested the ones by Inogen and the Evergo as possibilities.

The big blue thing is too much of an issue with her as it leaves her "tethered" and really exasperates her fall risk (She is on a walker and weighs 300lbs). At 75 years old, a fall could have dire consequences, as you know. :rolleyes:

She also can't work the bottles because due to her rheumatoid, her hands are gnarled up "Stumps" (No joke) so she can't turn the wheels to change canisters and she can't get the hoses on and off. There is not always someone around to help her.

They have said that medicare should pay for it as long as she has tried these canister thingys first....they are telling us 3-4 weeks to finish the paperwork.

If they make that work, will that be one that she is RENTING or one that they are working to get medicare to approve for purchase?

I would like to get out from under the "rental" umbrella so that she doesn't have to ask anyone for permission or refills to do anything. Ideally. Is that an option?

If we can work out a purchase on a POC, what is the best way to do that?

She has AARP supplemental (Nice policy) in addition to Medicare.

She's still too active to tie down, despite her challenges.

We do go out of the country quite a bit and take long road trips by car.

If I am correct in that we could possibly OWN our own POC then it might make sense to still rent a large canister or something for backup, in case the electricity were to go out.

Thoughts?

Thanks again in advance!

Thanks for the replies!

So, We are working with her supplier (Lincare) to get her into a POC. I have suggested the ones by Inogen and the Evergo as possibilities.

The big blue thing is too much of an issue with her as it leaves her "tethered" and really exasperates her fall risk (She is on a walker and weighs 300lbs). At 75 years old, a fall could have dire consequences, as you know. :rolleyes:

She also can't work the bottles because due to her rheumatoid, her hands are gnarled up "Stumps" (No joke) so she can't turn the wheels to change canisters and she can't get the hoses on and off. There is not always someone around to help her.

They have said that medicare should pay for it as long as she has tried these canister thingys first....they are telling us 3-4 weeks to finish the paperwork.

If they make that work, will that be one that she is RENTING or one that they are working to get medicare to approve for purchase?

I would like to get out from under the "rental" umbrella so that she doesn't have to ask anyone for permission or refills to do anything. Ideally. Is that an option?

If we can work out a purchase on a POC, what is the best way to do that?

She has AARP supplemental (Nice policy) in addition to Medicare.

She's still too active to tie down, despite her challenges.

We do go out of the country quite a bit and take long road trips by car.

If I am correct in that we could possibly OWN our own POC then it might make sense to still rent a large canister or something for backup, in case the electricity were to go out.

Thoughts? Thanks again in advance!

It sounds like you are on the right track. Because we like to pick up and go on a moments notice I ended up purchasing a POC out of my own pocket. Best money I ever spent. My insurance still pays for the in-home floor concentrator, but they did not pay when I rented a POC. Those expenses started to add up quickly. I purchased the Inogen and love it. When I rented it was the Evergo and that was great also. I purchased directly from Inogen. Lifetime warranty, two 8-hr and 1 4-hr batteries, power cord, auto cord, wheeled trolly. They started selling direct to customers because of so much fraud on the internet medical equpment sites. Also, FYI, my Lincare said they would never let anyone take their equipment out of the country!

Linda&Vern,

I will check with Inogen directly I guess.

Would you mind telling me a ballpark out of pocket cost?

Would insurance (Medicare or Medigap) be likely to pay for any of the cost to purchase?

It really is a medical nessecity, she can't operate the tanks and she isn't home enough to use the big concentrator, except at night.

Good to know about Lincare.

I thought when they said they would help her get the unit, that meant they would help her buy/own it. Sounds like that's not the case....

Grrrrrr......

Linda&Vern,

I will check with Inogen directly I guess.

Would you mind telling me a ballpark out of pocket cost?

Would insurance (Medicare or Medigap) be likely to pay for any of the cost to purchase?

It really is a medical nessecity, she can't operate the tanks and she isn't home enough to use the big concentrator, except at night.

Good to know about Lincare.

I thought when they said they would help her get the unit, that meant they would help her buy/own it. Sounds like that's not the case....

Grrrrrr......

I do not know anything about insurance covering the Inogen, so I can't help you there. Lincare would be a source to help her obtain a unit - but they will "rent" it to her. The insurance may or may not pay for that. I had to pay $75 per week to rent the POC when I traveled and I had to give them 14 days notice! Lincare provided me (insurance paid) "tanks" and the home big concentrator. If you want first hand info on the Inogen call one of their customer service reps. For their number try www.inogenone.com. I'm thinking $3800 +/-. That was G2 unit w/lifetime warranty, 3 batteries (two 24-cell, one 12-cell), case, wheeled trolly.

Good luck!

I spoke with Lincare today and the rep told me they have no issues with her taking her rented equipment with her on the cruise.

We are planning on taking a POC (The Evergo) and 2 large tanks for backup.

We will take all this with us in the taxi on the way to the port form the hotel.

I'm not sure I forsee any additional problems. Anyone?

I spoke with Lincare today and the rep told me they have no issues with her taking her rented equipment with her on the cruise.

We are planning on taking a POC (The Evergo) and 2 large tanks for backup.

We will take all this with us in the taxi on the way to the port form the hotel.

I'm not sure I forsee any additional problems. Anyone?

Great news. I would like to offer this advise on the Evergo in the car. Make sure you completely understand how the car charger works with the unit. When plugged into the auto it should charge the batteries while you are driving, so that when you stop for meals, etc. the batteries are full. Have Lincare give you lessons and make sure you have the instruction manual. (If they don't provide one you can find one to download from the internet.) If you can, arrange for delivery a few days before your trip so you can give it a couple of test drives. For your "tanks" FYI some cruise lines only allow one tank at a time in your cabin. They will store the others and bring to you upon request.

Also - I was wrong on that $$ for the Inogen2. It was a couple hundred less than I said.

Hope you report back after your cruise to let us know how it went. Happy travels!

Hi! I am a retired Respiratory Therapist, and I would suggest that you obtain the phone numbers of the local (pre cruise hotel area) Lincare offices. They are a national company and should be able to help you out throughout your trip (at least the part on terra firm). The CPAP no problem except... you will most likely need to bring an extension cord for the cabin. Also, the next time Mom goes to the doc's, ask for a written prescription for the oxygen and the CPAP - it can be quite helpful sometimes if TSA happens to be problematic.

Thanks Evertravel1! Especially helpful info! None of that should be a problem. Will do all of the above.

Sure thing Linda&Vern. We should have the unit in a few weeks and we don't travel until August so we have plenty of time to get up to speed. We will most likely use an inverter in the car instead of the cigarette lighter. I think that gives it a little more umph. Comes with an internal and an external battery. We can also buy an additional battery out of pocket for $75, that sounds well worth it to me!

I will surely report back!

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to jump into this conversation as a person who just recently tried to put a trip together for New England cruise. Lincare is my provider also and I was told that they don't rent their equipment for cruise ships because they go out of the country and can't service their machines.

Since your Mom just started on oxygen it is important that you get the paperwork done with Lincare for the POC now as Medicare will pay for it in the begining. There is a law with medicare that states they pay for the first three years of equipment then for the next two they don't but Lincare picks up the bill then. I got lost in the paperwork so that when I inquired about me getting a POC and medicare paying I was already in my second year and Lincare would not accept it. How much oxygen is your Mom on? That is important because she needs a regular concentrator to sleep with at night so that depending upon which cruise line your on it will be decided whether you can bring yours from home or you need to rent with special needs at sea. It is expensive. They quoted me about 350.00 but that was for a two week cruise. One last thing is that if you give Lincare the hotels name and address two weeks in advance they will have a concentrator waiting in her room. If you need any additonal information don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks Kit9172.

Well, now I'm confused.

Lincare said A-Ok to take on the ship, and they also said her POC is all she will need to take, unless she needs/wants to take a tank for backup.

There is nothing for them to service as the POC makes it's own oxygen, so, I'm not sure what the issue would be about servicing?

We are only gone for a week.

The gal at our Lincare said the POC (An Evergo?) will be fine for evening as well, just plugged into the wall. I don't think she uses oxygen at night right now though. She uses a CPAP and they are not running oxygen through it for now.....

She is on a dose of 2 (???). It is pulse.

She also can breathe without it, she just isn't comfortable, so if we had something go out at sea, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

She's only been on oxygen a few weeks now and they are already working on the POC that I'm aware of.

I will be sure to follow up.

If we need a bigger concentrator we can bring ours from home I guess.

Every time I think I know what is going on I get confused again. :confused:

OK now I will make you feel better, I think. First off she is on a very small dose and not at night so she would not need her big concentrator. My email address is kit9172atyahoodotcom. I would feel better telling you privately what was said to me about oxygen on the ship. Hopefully by the time the cruise comes she will still be at a low dosage. I find breathing disabilities the most challenging since I am not in a wheelchair so I walk to all the places that you would think is customer friendly for the handicape ex parking your car to use the rest room on the turnpike and the open door is a half a block long and when you get in the building the ladies room is on the opposite side that you came in on and all the way in another direction from the car. Hotel rooms always ask for a room near the elevator etc etc.

If you decide not to email have a wonderful trip.

Kit

My DD is disabled & oxygen dependent. We have been on 2 cruises with her & taken her hone concentrator & O2 tanks. She has a portable concentrator too but it isn't an namebrand. It us small & even with the extra battery I knew it wouldn't last long enough to be out of the cabin long enough. Her supplier told me also they wouldn't deliver O2 to leave the country when I asked to have it taken to port. We just got a supply for home & took it with us. I bought a small laundry hamper & out them in that for travel. Her big rolling concentrator had to be left with security for the drug dog to sniff (LOL) & we left the tanks with the porters. I had luggage tags on both. They told me @ check-in to go to guest services before we sailing to be sure everything was onboard. The concentrator was taken to the cabin but you can't keep tanks with you. Everytime she needed a new one, I had to call guest services & they would take the old one away. She also uses CPAP @ nite & we carried it on.

Happy to find this thread and wish all participants well.

Just coming on board (no pun) and trying to understand the ramifications of the situation. We're scheduled for a cruise in May.

My wife has just (last week) been prescribed oxygen and has a large Everflo concentrator and also an InovaLabs Activox POC which I also THINK can operate as a full scale concentrator. We have no bottles of any kind. I think she should be able to use only the POC on our cruise. Right now she only sleeps with it at night but it's all new to us and we don't know what's next.

Currently she is going through a battery of testing and I have many more questions than answers. I'll continue to monitor this thread and will appreciate all the input from those experienced with this situation.

Haven't done it yet but I'm thinking we should notify Celebrity of this and not sure what's involved. Also concerned about attending the life boat drill and the stairs. Anyone have experience with this?

My thanks to those who have already contributed and I'll probably be back with questions.

I would contact the cruise line and tell them and ask them what their rules are regarding someone on oxygen. Every cruise line seems to be different. How many liters of oxygen is your wife on?

To spender Nui:

My husband is on oxygen most of the time. We have an Inogen One G3 for travelling around and off the ship, since it weighs only about 5 lbs. We rented a larger oxygen concentrator for the room from Special Needs at Sea. The concentrator was waiting in the room when we arrived, and they pick it up after you depart the ship.

Celebrity may have a special needs department, and forms to fill out as well.

You should request a wheelchair for embarkation and debarkation which will be very helpful, as it is a long walk onto the ship.

Sorry to be so long getting back. Things have been a little hectic.

I'd like to thank all for their responses and help.

We see the pulmonologist next week and hopefully will learn more and we're hoping for good news.

I've spoken with Celebrity and they say bringing our oxygen aboard is not a problem. Also asked how the boat drill will be handled regarding walking, stairs, etc. Was assured they'd work it pout but couldn't get any details. I won't pursue this further until we see the doctor and I know more.

We're not flying so that's something we don't have to deal with.

Thanks again to all for your help.

Archived