Ketchikan, AK excursion

cruisinlawn

Anyone familiar with the 'bear country and wildlife expedition' tour? They describe it as the only drive to bear viewing. If so, how is it? Would it be feasible for someone whom uses a walking cane and/or a walker? TIA:)

I've also posted this on the Alaska forum.

Bear tours are tricky on seeing them or not depends on when you are going May is sometimes to cool, 4th July week qustionable but end of July to Middle August much better odds since that is when the salmon runs are heavier. You will see wildlife no matter when you go.

1392948559_JulieSDCARDALLPHOTOS007.jpg.63af73914a6f35eb5f5f2ad86a55199d.jpg

OP, try doing a google search on "'bear country and wildlife expedition tour ketchikan". You'll find lots of online reviews. From the pics I saw it looks like there might be some issues for a walker, but I suggest you have a look and see what you think. It seems to be offered by the Alaskan Rainforest Sanctuary, so I'd expect you'd be going through a fair amount of rainforest, which I suspect would be "natural-type" pathways (trails).

It's my opinion that this would be difficult with a walker. You would be fine with a cane though. The reason is that you begin the tour by taking a guided walk through the rainforest. It's an improved trail but you're still walking on large gravel (and I seem to remember some wood chips in areas but I could be wrong). It would be tough to push a walker through the tour (IMHO).

The tour is slow enough that you should be fine using a cane. The guides basically walk backwards during the tour and it is at a very leisurely pace.

Once on the walkway where you have the opportunity to see bears, it's a nice, wooden walkway alongside the creek. You should have no problem there. There are a few spots where you can climb a couple stairs to an upper platform but I don't believe it's required.

I hope that helps.

:)

OK - info direct from them...!

"While the Bear Country & Wildlife Tour takes place out at Herring Cove it is a different trail than the Rainforest Sanctuary and is not as easy to complete. We recommend that anyone who has trouble walking not participate in the Bear Country tour because there are multiple bridges that are suspended up to twenty feet of the ground with as many as 16 steps to get up on to them. While those bridges are sturdy, they do tend to sway a little bit when everyone is standing on them which could be uncomfortable for someone who may not be stable on their feet. There is no place to rest while on the tour so we encourage everyone to be confident that they can stand for the duration of the time on the trail. However, the Rainforest Sanctuary tour is more accessible for those in wheelchairs or canes, the solid bridge is on the Rainforest Sanctuary tour and is the boardwalk that overlooks Herring Cove and the hatchery. It would be my personal recommendation to have your friend participate in the Rainforest Sanctuary tour instead of Bear Country because I think it would be more comfortable for her if she has a cane."

I hope that helps!

Archived