QE2 refurbishment

Cunard Cruiser

I was wondering if anyone who has been on QE2 in the past couple of weeks could tell me if they have begun refurbishment. In an interview with cruise critic, Peter Radcliff stated renovations to the public rooms and cabins would begin.

If so how does everything look?

The ship looks fine to me. Haven't seen any major changes since 2002 but everything was in a better shape and very clean. I would imagine things to be done when the ship goes into the next dry or wetdock.

Reint

The tapestries are not displayed. I heard through the grapevine the have been found but no news about restoration or when they are back on display again.

As far a maintenance the only thing I discovered that the wooden deckchairs need to be replaced and some of the windows look a bit dirty and stained.

Reint

Hi,

I returned home from the QE2 less than two weeks ago (we did the Norwegian Wonders cruise that departed from Southampton on May 21). The ship was in fairly good shape and definitely seemed clean. Other than the new Funnel Bar on Sun Deck and the new chairs in the Mauretania Restaurant, I did not notice many changes since my last time aboard the ship two years ago. However, the carpet looked worn in a number of places (particularly in the stairways). Of course, replacing the carpet is fairly easy to accomplish.

As always, I greatly enjoyed my time aboard the QE2!

The ship looks fine to me. Haven't seen any major changes since 2002 but everything was in a better shape and very clean. I would imagine things to be done when the ship goes into the next dry or wetdock.

Reint

Welcome back Reint!!

I hope you had as much fun as our crossing a couple years ago.

I'll be waiting for the full 411! ;)

Ernie

From my understanding of what I have read, when 'Princess' staff became involved with Cunard they were surprised that QE2 didn't match expectations so they started refurbishments while in service - it being only a year since her last visit to Bremerhaven.

The stage area of the Grand Lounge was being worked on at the end of April / early May - that's where the blue paint came from to damage some of the tapestries at the end of the world cruise. Didn't see any other activity.

Ken

This is a little off topic, but for those of you recently on QE2, could you tell me if the ship is wheelchair or scooter friendly? Any door jambs to "step over", space in cabin for a scooter?

Thanks, Ruth

Ruth:

In my experience, I remember seeing some passengers using the motorized scooters during a couple of QE2 crossings. Between the elevators/lifts, and ramps that are found around many of the public room areas, I think the ship is fairly good in this regard...but keep in mind I have not personally gone around the ship using a wheelchair or scooter.

I would guess that most cabins would be able to accomodate such devices...maybe some of the M grade cabins might make for a tight fit...to find out more go to www.deluxecruises.com and click on Cunard, then on the Cunard page click on QE2 deck plans - this will give you QE2 deck plans AND a listing, by cabin grade (i.e. Q grade, C grade, M grade), of the space by square foot for each cabin.

I hope this helps, Ruth !

Best wishes

Tom:)

Surprised no one has noticed - but QE2 seems to have a blank in her 2006 schedule from arriving at the end of World Cruise on 23 April to sailing on Mediterranean Splendours on 9 May. So its got to be a drydocking or one long charter!!!!

Thanks Tom,

I guess this ship is just too old, refurbishing doesn't always provide for adequate access issues for wheelchair and scooter users. Tom says there are only 2 HC cabins and that they are Q3 category. Too rich for my blood. Also says stairways might be too close to elevators for scooter/wheelchair safety. I have a catalogue with deck plans, but it is too small to tell a lot. The web site I looked at did not show any floor plans of the rooms to see if a scooter might fit somewhere. I did get a new scooter that would fit through a standard doorway, but that may not be enough adjustment for an older ship.

Thanks anyway, guys!

Rascal Rider Ruth

• 2 weeks later...

I was on 10th June Med cruise too - i'd say the service and food were both excellent but the entertainment did not appeal to my tastes.

The carpet fitters appeared to be working both day and night, laying exactly the same carpet designs as they were ripping up.

The carpet fitters appeared to be working both day and night, laying exactly the same carpet designs as they were ripping up.

:mad: Well, thats Princess for you! Replacing old worn stained carpet with new! Disgraceful!!!!! Where's Madame la Pompadour when you need her?!?

Peter

New carpets for old (that'll do a lot of good) - sounds like something from Aladdin or Widow Twankey rather than Princess or Madame 'de' Pompadour!!! Come on Peter translate for our transatlantic cousins!!!

Archived