How do you know if your ship goes to Tracy Arm?

mcbrides

I know this may sound silly, but if the ship itinerary does not say "Cruising Tracy Arm", I'm guessing it's safe to assume the ship does not go down there? I've been trying to decide on a 2006 Alaska itinerary, and I would like to pick something with at least 2 glacier cruising portions. I've noticed 2 HAL ships cruise Tracy Arm prior to docking at Juneau in the afternoon, so I was wondering if other ships also cruise Tracy Arm before an afternoon stop at Juneau, but just don't list that on the itinerary. (i.e. Carnival Spirit's Glacier Bay cruise docks at Juneau at 2:00 p.m. Just wondering if there would be "scenic glacier cruising" prior to that stop?)

Is Tracy Arm another area that ships have to have permits to enter--like Glacier Bay?

Thanks!

If a ship goes to Tracy Arm - it will be on the itinerary. If it doesn't say it, it doesn't go (unless the Captain decides at the last minute to include it).

Permits are not required for Tracy Arm.

most likely if you're looking for a cruise that has 2 glacier cruising portions, you're going to need to take a one way cruise rather than roundtrip. there's just not enough time during a roundtrip to do 2 glacier cruising portions.

We went on the Volendam last year that goes to Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay and it was fantastic. A lot of ships don't get to see the glaciers in Tracy Arm because of all the ice bergs. Our cruise was the first time the ship made it to see the glaciers. It was the first of June. You don't get as close as in Glacier Bay but Tracy Arm is totally different. It is a fjord , very narrow with steep mountians on both sides. Some of the one way cruises visit Collage Fjords and either Glacier Bay or Hubbard.

I know this may sound silly, but if the ship itinerary does not say "Cruising Tracy Arm", I'm guessing it's safe to assume the ship does not go down there? I've been trying to decide on a 2006 Alaska itinerary, and I would like to pick something with at least 2 glacier cruising portions. I've noticed 2 HAL ships cruise Tracy Arm prior to docking at Juneau in the afternoon, so I was wondering if other ships also cruise Tracy Arm before an afternoon stop at Juneau, but just don't list that on the itinerary. (i.e. Carnival Spirit's Glacier Bay cruise docks at Juneau at 2:00 p.m. Just wondering if there would be "scenic glacier cruising" prior to that stop?)

Is Tracy Arm another area that ships have to have permits to enter--like Glacier Bay?

Thanks!

We cruised Tracy Arm on the NCL Spirit after leaving Juneau. Our itinerary showed is as 'cruise Sawyer Glacier'

Thanks everyone for the input. Eileen--the HAL ships are exactly what I was looking at. Zuiderdam and Volendam both have Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay on the itinerary for 2006. I can't wait!

McBrides:

Please be aware that you might not get to see the Twin Sawyers Glaciers in Tracy Arm.

Just returned from HAL Zaandam 5/21 - 5/28. We visited Tracy Arm, but only went part-way to the glaciers.

As an earlier poster cited, many times the Captain will announce that there is too much ice in the water and only go so far.

Even the part that we saw was beautiful with some large bergs in the water, some snowy and some just beautiful blue ice. The naturalist did a good job explaining berg-ology and we enjoyed our trip to Tracy Arm immensly.

Sam

Thanks for the words of caution, Sam.

I really was just looking for an itinerary with 2 scenic glacier viewings, and it seems like HAL has that. I will be cautiously optimisitic we'll make it down Tracy Arm! If not, that's ok too. It sounds like Glacier Bay will be spectacular. Ohhh, the anticipation!

Are there certain times of year the waters are "more icy" in Tracy Arm?

McBrides:

Just the stop in Glacier Bay was worth the entire trip!

We spent approximately 4 hours up close and personal with Margerie Glacier.

The Captain used the thrusters to roate the shipe from side to side to allow all to have equal time viewing.

The passengers who spent the time near the bow, or even those in the Crow's Nest were captivated by the enormity and beauty of Margerie Glacier.

We had beautiful weather, with little, or no wind. It would be perfectly silent for a few minutes, when you would hear this loud crack. Everyone would hold their collective breath, just waiting....then a large section of the glacier would start sliding off and when it hit the water, it sounded like thunder!!

OOHs and AAHHs were accompanied by shutters clicking and video cameras whirring! Then, everyone waited for the next show!

The time flew by and before you knew it, we were slowly pulling away from Margerie and heading out.

What a day!!!!

You'll love it.

Sam

If you are really interested in seeing Tracy Arm, I would also see if the ship has an excursion into the Arm. We just got back from a cruise on the Seven Seas Mariner. Although the ship went into the Arm, they couldn't go very far because of all the ice bergs. We signed up for an excursion on a small boat that met us on the Mariner, and took us right up to the face of the South Sawyer glacier. It was a truly impressive sight. There was too much ice to get close to the North Sawyer, but we got a great view of it. The naturalist on board said that most of the ice will be melted in 3-4 weeks. There were lots of seals and their pups on the ice, and we saw a black bear feeding on shore. Tracy Arm itself was probably the most beautiful of all the areas that we saw on our cruise.

We booked a 9 hour shore excursion from Juneau into Tracy Arm (we booked privately/not through the ship). Most of their passengers are locals. It was an excellent trip - here is the website of the company:

http://www.adventureboundalaska.com/

They do not advertise to cruise passengers because most ships are not in port long enough for the 8:30 - 6 time frame. I was very impressed with the company - the owner of the company is also the captain of the boat.

Doctor Tom,

We have requested the Tracy Arm excursion on our 7/20 Mariner NB cruise. What time did you leave and did you arrive in Juneau on schedule? Have booked Capt. Larry for appx. 2 hrs. later so am curious. What time were you able to board in Vancouver? Any other details welcome!

Archived