MS Fram vs Cornithian

dwmcelroy

We are considering either the MS Fram or the Corinthian (via GCT charter) for a 2014 antarctica cruise. We see good and bad on both, any feedback would be suggested.

Fram looks good but maybe too many people. Corinthian may not be as robust?

Age of passengers?

Thanks

We are considering either the MS Fram or the Corinthian (via GCT charter) for a 2014 antarctica cruise. We see good and bad on both, any feedback would be suggested.

Fram looks good but maybe too many people. Corinthian may not be as robust?

Age of passengers?

I don't know about the Corinthian but I have sailed twice aboard MS Fram (in Antarctica in 2006 and in Svalbard in 2011), and I'm booked for another Antarctica trip in Dec. 2013.

MS Fram is a great polar ship, not an icebreaker but still a very sturdy ship and she also handles the rough weather very well (although I didn't get to experience a full blown storm).

Age of passengers was mostly around te 50s-early 60s I guess (but that's probably the majority of Antarctica passengers anyway), with some younger and some older people as well.

The expedition team is very good. On both our trip we really felt that they (and the rest of the crew) was there for us and that they were doing everything they could to make sure we had the best experience possible.

Also to note in favour of MS Fram is their great Polarcirkelboats that are used for landings. They are not zodiacs but strong, rigid boats that can navigate even in a bit of ice so they allow for landings even when the landing site is surrounded by drifting ice, or for rides between the icebergs.

There are usually around 200 passengers on board and since there are only 100 people allowed ashore at the same time there is a system of "rotating" landings. We were worried that we would feel rushed but we almost never did. However of course it limits your time ashore.

I would say, if spending as much time as possible ashore is your priority, then go for a smaller ship. If not, go for the one that will give you the most time in Antarctica for the budget you are able to spend. And be sure how many days in Antarctica each trip will offer. For instance, "12 days trip" as advertised on the Corinthian will only give you 5 days in Antarctica itself. For the 2014/2015 season, for the same amount (with early booking) MS Fram plans 7 days on the Peninsula for the "classic expedition", or for the 2013/2014 season you have the "polar circle" voyage with the same length.

(Slightly OT : I'm looking at Hurtigruten's website and I notice that all their 2014/2015 trips have been lengthened by at least 2 days - of course they are more expensive, but maybe it is more interesting for them to have less trips / less Drake crossing but with a full ship of top-paying passengers? ).

PS : you might want to look and/or ask your question on the Antarctica board to find people with experience aboard the Corinthian?

Archived