Recommendations for Christmas in Florida?

cruisenfreak

We're cruising transatlantic and will dock in Fort Lauderdale on 12/23. We are then staying one night at a local hotel where we will have left our car. We would like to spend an additional 2 or 3 days in FL as we head north toward home. Any suggestions on places which will have sites and restaurants open over Christmas? We are not interested in the theme parks. Thanks in advance.

I do have a suggestion and it's on your way north via I-95. St. Augustine's Nights of Lights http://www.floridashistoriccoast.com/nights/ is a 2-month long holiday celebration that is very well done.

A very fine suggestion for a visit to the oldest city in the U.S.A. On the other hand, if you are traveling the western route Sanibel Island (the shelling capital of the western hemisphere) would also be a good choice.

I do have a suggestion and it's on your way north via I-95. St. Augustine's Nights of Lights http://www.floridashistoriccoast.com/nights/ is a 2-month long holiday celebration that is very well done.

I actually thought of St. Augustine and e-mailed the tourist board to see what was going to be open over Christmas. I was told everything closed mid afternoon on the 24th and all day on Christmas. Do you think there would be anything to see and do there? If so, do you have an area you would recommend for a hotel? Again thanks.

A very fine suggestion for a visit to the oldest city in the U.S.A. On the other hand, if you are traveling the western route Sanibel Island (the shelling capital of the western hemisphere) would also be a good choice.

You're right, we both like Sanabel but we will probably just head north along the east coast. Again thanks for your response.

Archived