Want to buy Song of America?

Aquahound

Anyone remember the Song of America? She is for sale again for a mere 45 miliion Euros. Just scroll down a little. There's a nice picture of her. You'll also see other former RCI ships for sale, including the hideous Viking Serenade.

http://www.marine-consultant.com/p508.htm

Edited by Aquahound

About 2/3rds of the way down (listed as "1,000 PASSENGER CRUISE SHIP FOR SALE - OWNER'S WILL ACCEPT USD 8.3 MILLION (Feb. 2013)") is the Nordic Prince. Seems like a good price if you don't mind that the cooling systems and air conditioners don't work. :D

Former "Song of America" is currently owned by Louis Cruises and former "Nordic Prince" was owned by Louis Cruises up until 2011. Seems like Louis Cruises might be having issues. :confused:

Hmm... turns out that only two of the ships on that page are SOLAS 2010 compliant. That could be an issue...

Edited by tahqa

If I pitch in, can I bring my own alcohol and wear jeans to dinner?

Anything goes on the Cruise Critic Cruise Line. The official mottos are "It's your cruise, so do what you want," and "The cruise is what you make of it." ;)

My parents took me on the Song of America back in the 80s when it was RCCL's biggest ship. I think we still might have the passenger manifest somewhere in a photo album.

My first cruise. I remember being 13 years old, skeet shooting in the aft part of the ship. I earned enough Ship Shape dollars doing that to get a Ship Shape T-shirt.

There used to be a "Tween Deck" between decks 8 and 9 or something... wasn't there?

About 2/3rds of the way down (listed as "1,000 PASSENGER CRUISE SHIP FOR SALE - OWNER'S WILL ACCEPT USD 8.3 MILLION (Feb. 2013)") is the Nordic Prince. Seems like a good price if you don't mind that the cooling systems and air conditioners don't work. :D

Former "Song of America" is currently owned by Louis Cruises and former "Nordic Prince" was owned by Louis Cruises up until 2011. Seems like Louis Cruises might be having issues. :confused:

Hmm... turns out that only two of the ships on that page are SOLAS 2010 compliant. That could be an issue...

Actually I think more are SOLAS 2010 compliant. Immediately below SoA is either the Celebrity Zenith or the Celebrity Horizon which are still owned by RCCL [corporation] and sailing for Pullmantur [Zenith] and Croisière de France [Horizon]; they are not listed as SOLAS 2010 compliant, but I think they have to be.

I have seen broker listings for Celebrity M-class ships. Other than "keen seller" listings, I'm not sure that some of these aren't "we are keeping it unless you make me an offer too good to refuse" OR "we'll sell if we can lease it back" [much as most hotel real estate is owned by an investment group, but the hotels themselves are run by a management company (such as Marriott)].

So are CruiseCritrics going to be the property owner or the management? I'll let Eric organize the property owner group, somebody else can be the management to deal with chair hogs etc, and I'll be a consultant who gets paid to sail occasionally and give my two cents worth of advice [after all, I already offer my two cents here on CruiseCritic].:D

Thom

Immediately below SoA is either the Celebrity Zenith or the Celebrity Horizon which are still owned by RCCL [corporation] and sailing for Pullmantur [Zenith] and Croisière de France [Horizon]; they are not listed as SOLAS 2010 compliant, but I think they have to be.

I think that ship is the former Norwegian Majesty, not a Celebrity ship.

Actually I think more are SOLAS 2010 compliant. Immediately below SoA is either the Celebrity Zenith or the Celebrity Horizon which are still owned by RCCL [corporation] and sailing for Pullmantur [Zenith] and Croisière de France [Horizon]; they are not listed as SOLAS 2010 compliant, but I think they have to be.

Thom

Yeah, after doing further digging it appears that former Song of America and former Nordic Prince are both SOLAS 2010 compliant. I thought SOLAS 2010 was more than it is (it's mostly about fire protection).

Thom

I think that ship is the former Norwegian Majesty, not a Celebrity ship.

I agree -- it's the Norwegian Majesty. Currently the Thomson Majesty on lease from Louis Cruises. Hmmm... the Thomson Majesty is the ship that had the lifeboat drill accident earlier this month that killed five crew members. :(

The last ship on the page ("1,600 PASSENGER CRUISE SHIP FOR SALE") is the Atlantic Star cruise ship sailing for Pullmantur. I wonder if she is being parceled out to make room for Monarch?

Above the Viking Serenade is the MS Gemini, currently sailing for Quail Travel Group.

And the first ship on the page is the MSC Melody, currently owned by, well, MSC. :D She was retired in January of this year.

I think that identifies all of the ships. And judging by their construction dates they're all SOLAS 2010 compliant. Former Nordic Prince has definite issues and will likely go to the wreckers but I'm guessing the others have just been outgrown by their respective lines.

Sorry for all of the extraneous detail here but it sort of turned into a scavenger hunt and got real interesting for me.

Edited by tahqa

Sorry for all of the extraneous detail here but it sort of turned into a scavenger hunt and got real interesting for me.

Not at all. I am also interested, hence starting the thread.

But that stuff was easy. Up for a challenge? Identify the 2nd and 3rd advertisements that dont have pictures. Number 2 almost sounds like a CCL Fantasy Class ship.

Not at all. I am also interested, hence starting the thread.

But that stuff was easy. Up for a challenge? Identify the 2nd and 3rd advertisements that dont have pictures. Number 2 almost sounds like a CCL Fantasy Class ship.

Okay, #2 matches the Carnival Fantasy almost exactly and as far as I can find does not match any other ship built in 1990. She is Carnival's oldest operational ship and they may be looking to parcel her out to make room for newbuilds. However, she is still taking bookings at least through the summer.

For #3 -- it looks like there are only three cruise ships using that particular engine (9L48/60) and they are former Celebrity Century, Galaxy and Mercury. Of those three only the Celebrity Century was built in 1995. The other specs are very close to Century, but are not exact. Most notably the passenger capacity, but that could have changed in a refit.

That's what I've come up with. :)