Cozumel - Tulum Experience?

3Boys2Luv

I am going with my husband and 2 kids (10 & 9) to Cozumel on Carnival Dream August 31, 2013 and I found a site for Tulum Mayan Ruins Private Tour. Just wondering if it is worth going there? My kids love history so I thought this might be a fun thing to do. Anyone else try this place before but think maybe something like the ATVs would be a better choice? Can't seem to make up my mind.

Going to Tulum from Coz is a long day :( - cab or shuttle to the ferry terminal, a 45+ minute ferry ride to Playa del Carmen (often rough seas :eek:), and then a bus or van to Tulum for your tour; then reverse everything to get back to your ship. I'm tired just writing all of that! :rolleyes:

There are too many opportunities for a breakdown or missed connection that could cause you to miss the ship for me to do this tour through anyone but the cruiseline.

Coz is an island with great beaches and water related sites - snorkel, swim with the dolphins, or just a relaxing day on the beach (with a few margaritas! :D). I'd save Tulum for when your ship pulls into the mainland and th etours are easier. Good luck! :)

We went to Tulum many years back on a cruise. We booked the cruises tour due to the length of the tour. You have to take the ferry over to mainland, board a bus which takes you on a ride to Tulum and then back. I can't remember the length of the bus ride but it was at least an hour each way (we stopped halfway for bathroom break and shopping on the way there-they did not stop on the way back to playa del carmen for our tour).

I would suggest if you want to do Tulum you use the ships tour. Then if you get stuck or have issues the ship doesn't leave without you. It's quite a long trip to Tulum and back.

Agree with JohninDC--it is a long day. 45 minute trip on the ferry, followed by an hour long bus ride to the ruins. A couple of hours at the site, and then the long slog back.

That said, many have done this excursion and consider it the highlight of their cruise. Tulum *IS* spectacular. If you feel your family is up to the trip, it is usually suggested that you book the cruise line's excursion. That way, in case of any delays (engine problems with the bus, the ferry is late) the ship will wait for you. If for some reason you arrive late from a non ship sponsored excursion, there is a good chance the ship will leave without you. It is then up to you to find your way to the next port of call. This could be very expensive for a family of four.

The last time my family was in Cozumel, we hired a driver for the day. It was great to design our very own tour. We drove through San Miguel (as our driver told us the history of the city), went to the ruins at San Gervasio (minor compared to Tulum, but still interesting), then we traveled to the east side of the island. It's undeveloped and incredibly beautiful. There are a few bar/restaurants, so you can enjoy food or some drinks (they are run by generator) and of course terrific photo ops. We then spent a few hours at Paradise Beach before heading back downtown for some souvenir shopping before heading back to the ship. There is an extensive thread about hiring a driver here (you'll probably want to check out the last several pages for the latest info).

Good luck whatever you decide!

We did the Tulum excursion this past Friday. If you do it through the ship, there's no cab ride to the ferry. You walk off the ship, down the pier to the shopping area, then back up a shorter pier where the ferry waits. We were off the ship around 10 and on the mainland by 11:00. After a short walk to the bus, the tour guide starts and talks most of the way to Tulum. There's a ~20 minute stop to use restrooms and shop, and then on to the site. The guide gave us about 30 mins of tour and then nearly 2 hours to roam freely.

We were all back on the bus before the 2:30pm deadline and left Tulum before the scheduled 3:00pm departure time. We made it back to the ferry pier at 4:45 and walked on the ship a few minutes later. The scheduled on the ship time was 4:30pm. We were glad we did it through the cruise line instead of a private operator.

As most people say, YMMV, but this was one of those cases where too many things can go wrong, and I wanted to be sure of having the protection of a ship-sponsored tour.

We took a ship sponsored excursion to see Tulum in December. It was worth it to have peace of mind just knowing the ship would wait for us. As it turned out, our excursion was very late in getting back.

Looking at pictures may help you decide what to do. My wife made slideshows from the pictures she took on our cruises and posted them on her website.

If you are interested in seeing them you can click on the links below. Each slideshow will play as soon as the page opens, but you can also go through the pictures by clicking on the thumbnails one at a time.

Happy cruising. It's a great way to travel!

We did the Tulum tour and enjoyed it. I would not suggest anyone do it outside of the ship's excursions. Typically, I'm for private tours but not in this case for the reasons others stated.

Also, I really don't think this is a tour a 9 and 10 year old (or so) would enjoy. Perhaps if you were on a land vacation and were just there for a few hours. On a cruise ship tour it is a very long day and most of the time is not actually spent in the ruins. Plus, in August it is going to be miserably hot. I wouldn't do this to your kids. I think they would have so much more fun on the mainland of Cozumel. There are so many things to do.

I am going with my husband and 2 kids (10 & 9) to Cozumel on Carnival Dream August 31, 2013 and I found a site for Tulum Mayan Ruins Private Tour. Just wondering if it is worth going there? My kids love history so I thought this might be a fun thing to do. Anyone else try this place before but think maybe something like the ATVs would be a better choice? Can't seem to make up my mind.

As you can see from the previous posts booking the tour thru the ship is the safest in terms of time.

However, most of the time is spent in transport to/fom the cruise ship. Your 2 youngsters would be bored.

You might reconsider and stay on Cozumel Your whole family could enjoy a day at Chankanaab Park which is easy to do on your own.

Unfortunately, Cruise Critic doesn't allow a direct link. Click on the second search link:

http://www.google.com/search?q=chankanaab+national+park&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7SUNA

Going to Tulum from Coz is a long day :( - cab or shuttle to the ferry terminal, a 45+ minute ferry ride to Playa del Carmen (often rough seas :eek:), and then a bus or van to Tulum for your tour; then reverse everything to get back to your ship. I'm tired just writing all of that! :rolleyes:

There are too many opportunities for a breakdown or missed connection that could cause you to miss the ship for me to do this tour through anyone but the cruiseline.

Coz is an island with great beaches and water related sites - snorkel, swim with the dolphins, or just a relaxing day on the beach (with a few margaritas! :D). I'd save Tulum for when your ship pulls into the mainland and th etours are easier. Good luck! :)

Thanks so much, I'm having second thoughts about the Tulum excursion booked with NCL during our port day there. Don't want to waste my port day driving around to/from there, any recommendations for some best beaches and tour operators I can book for Cozumel or are any of the NCL cruise line beach one's worth it?

We just want to lounge at a nice beach and grab some good food for the day I figure

Thanks so much, I'm having second thoughts about the Tulum excursion booked with NCL during our port day there. Don't want to waste my port day driving around to/from there, any recommendations for some best beaches and tour operators I can book for Cozumel or are any of the NCL cruise line beach one's worth it?

We just want to lounge at a nice beach and grab some good food for the day I figure

Both Chankanaab and The Money Bar meet your needs.

If your kids are old enough for the ruins, you might want to consider taking them instead to Rio Secreto (Amazing Secret River). This is a case system with a shallow river running through it. It is amazing and more "cool" factor than Mayan ruins. Bring money for food afterwards (they have a snack bar that makes great tacos, quesiddilas (sic) and burritos), and you'll also want to buy the CD of photos. A special experience.

Archived