Scooter - Pride Mobility Go--Go Ultra X 3

J&B in GA

Anyone own one of these mobility scooters ?

3Gf3L63J75I25G95J1d2j8a80a4f4445a142a.jpg

Considering purchasing this slightly used Pride Mobility Go--Go Ultra X 3 scooter from a private party. I've read some great reviews on-line, but always prefer to hear from a fellow cruiser/traveler, as that will be my primary use. Any comments, recommendations, precautions, etc. greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I own the Pride Go Go Elite Traveler which is a couple models up from the one your are considering purchasing. Also purchased mine used 3 1/2 years ago and it's still working well. Love the design as it's very easy to take apart and load into the back of my Honda CR-V. Compact and easy to operate in tight place due to the compact size and very tight turning radius. Over all extremely pleased.

Here's a link to a video that shows it easy it is to take apart and fit into a car trunk. Disassembly starts at the 0.53 mark on the video.

We have a GO Go Traveler Elite up to 275 lbs, smaller 12amp battery, it has a low clearance. Only paid $750 for it.good for the Malls, but it has a short clearance and the switch trips when going over the thresholds. The battery is smaller, the front wheel 7" and the rear ones 8".

If knowing what I do now, I would get the Go Go Sport for the $400 more ($1,100) It is up to 350 lbs so a higher clearence, sturdier drive, longer distance battery at 18 amp. This is one for a real fret free travel. The battery will go much longer, can put a heavy back pack over the seat, carry a small cooler on the basket, higher clearence to protect from ground impact.

The smaller one works okay for occasional light use on a cruise ship, but if hitting towns you need the larger 9" wheels and stronger base and battery.

Hope that helps,

Sorry. For typos, getting use to virtual board.

Edited by DisneyGem

We have a GO Go Traveler Elite up to 275 lbs, smaller 12amp battery, it has a low clearance. Only paid $750 for it.good for the Malls, but it has a short clearance and the switch trips when going over the thresholds. The battery is smaller, the front wheel 7" and the rear ones 8".

If you have the 3 wheel version all 3 tires are 8". The 4 wheel version has 7" front wheels and 8" rear wheels.

If knowing what I do now, I would get the Go Go Sport for the $400 more ($1,100) It is up to 350 lbs so a higher clearence, sturdier drive longer distance battery at 18 amp.This is one for a real fret free travel. The battery will go much longer, can put a heavy back pack over the seat, carry a small cooler on the basket, higher clearence to protect from ground impact.

The 350lb weight load has nothing to do with the higher clearance. It's the wheelsize that determines the clearance range. The 3 wheel Sport Go Go Model has an 8" front wheel and 9" rear wheels thus the higher ground clearance of 3" is only at the midframe section of the scooter. Since the front wheel is only 8" the initial frontground clearance is still only approximately 2" .This is the model I use on cruises and it always gets hung up on the gangway joint and some deck thresholds because of the front frame ground clearance only being 2".

Edited by xxoocruiser

If you have the 3 wheel version all 3 tires are 8". The 4 wheel version has 7" front wheels and 8" rear wheels.

The 350lb weight load has nothing to do with the higher clearance. It's the wheelsize that determines the clearance range. The 3 wheel Sport Go Go Model has an 8" front wheel and 9" rear wheels thus the higher ground clearance of 3" is only at the midframe section of the scooter. Since the front wheel is only 8" the initial frontground clearance is still only approximately 2" .This is the model I use on cruises and it always gets hung up on the gangway joint and some deck thresholds because of the front frame ground clearance only being 2".

I received the information from Jeff the salesperson when considering the upgrade to GoGo Sport from the Elite; compared to upgrading our battery to the larger one. He told me I have the 7" front, and 8" rear.

Did you ever discuss replacing the front wheel? I wonder if going larger if possible gives more clearance?

He explained there was the higher clearance and also strong mid section frame, for the larger weight capacity. I had a concern with carrying a back pack and small cooler wearing down the smaller battery.

We paid for it new $750, to upgrade to the larger battery is just over $300, but the Go Go Sport is only $1,100. That comes with cup holders, safety flag and storage bag.

I guess from your information just upgrading the battery is not helping with the shut offs, it will still get hung up.

Can I ask, have you taken it to Nassua, or Cocoa beach? Wondering if I should just take the wheel chair. Dh would lose his independence to roam about on board.

I received the information from Jeff the salesperson when considering the upgrade to GoGo Sport from the Elite; compared to upgrading our battery to the larger one. He told me I have the 7" front, and 8" rear.

Did you ever discuss replacing the front wheel? I wonder if going larger if possible gives more clearance?

He explained there was the higher clearance and also strong mid section frame, for the larger weight capacity. I had a concern with carrying a back pack and small cooler wearing down the smaller battery.

We paid for it new $750, to upgrade to the larger battery is just over $300, but the Go Go Sport is only $1,100. That comes with cup holders, safety flag and storage bag.

I guess from your information just upgrading the battery is not helping with the shut offs, it will still get hung up.

Can I ask, have you taken it to Nassua, or Cocoa beach? Wondering if I should just take the wheel chair. Dh would lose his independence to roam about on board.

My information comes directly from Pride Mobility the company and personal experience . Not from a salesperson.

Having the larger battery does not give you any more assistance/power in getting over thresholds where the scooter does not have the proper clearance to start.

The larger battery only provides a longer maxium drive range per charge.

Standard 12AH battery has a maxium range per charge of up to 7.5 miles *

Upgrade 18AH battery has a maximum range per charge of up to 10 miles*

* Actual range varies depending based on with user weight, terrain type, battery charge, battery condition and speed driven.

My husband has the GoGo Elite Traveller Plus and he loves it. We traveled with it on just one cruise and did excursions on it also.

Only problem was that it was a bit too heavy to lift (even when broken down) in and out of the car trunk.

So we changed to a Sumit Lexis Light and are very pleased with it also.

The GoGo Elite Traveller Plus is now for sale. We live in L.A. Area. I can be contacted at helen@cruisewithus.biz

Thanks eveyone for all your suggestions, but due to cost difference, will probably still buy the used Go-Go Ultra X 3. I checked the specs and it is very close to the Traveller Elite model. Both have 8" tires with only 2" clearance. Only the Traveller Elite Plus has the larger 9" tires with 3" clearance. According to the specs, the Go-Go Ultra X 3 can also be upgraded to the larger capacity 12v x 18Ah batteries for the extended driving range.

The 350lb weight load has nothing to do with the higher clearance. It's the wheelsize that determines the clearance range. The 3 wheel Sport Go Go Model has an 8" front wheel and 9" rear wheels thus the higher ground clearance of 3" is only at the midframe section of the scooter. Since the front wheel is only 8" the initial frontground clearance is still only approximately 2". This is the model I use on cruises and it always gets hung up on the gangway joint and some deck thresholds because of the front frame ground clearance only being 2".

xxoocruiser,

I'm a bit concerned with your statement above I've highlighted in RED. Is there some kind of electrical cut-off switch underneath the scooter that shuts off the motor when this happens ? If so, must you get off, go into free-wheel mode, and then lift/push the scooter past the obstruction ? Or can you just key off/on to reset the electrical cut-off ?

Thanks eveyone for all your suggestions, but due to cost difference, will probably still buy the used Go-Go Ultra X 3. I checked the specs and it is very close to the Traveller Elite model. Both have 8" tires with only 2" clearance. Only the Traveller Elite Plus has the larger 9" tires with 3" clearance. According to the specs, the Go-Go Ultra X 3 can also be upgraded to the larger capacity 12v x 18Ah batteries for the extended driving range.

xxoocruiser,

I'm a bit concerned with your statement above I've highlighted in RED. Is there some kind of electrical cut-off switch underneath the scooter that shuts off the motor when this happens ? If so, must you get off, go into free-wheel mode, and then lift/push the scooter past the obstruction ? Or can you just key off/on to reset the electrical cut-off ?

Just keying off/on does not reset the electrical if the entire electrical system cuts off. There is a reset button on the battery pack that needs to be pushed to reset the electronics.

The biggest problem is that the when the scooter does not have sufficient clearance to get over the thresholds and or gangway joints the crew rushes to immediatlely force push the scooter while still in drive. Though the crew means well, this knee jerk reaction by the crew the can result in one of 2 things.

1. The electrical cut off could engage but does not always . There is a button on the battery pack that resets the elctronics but as it has been explained to me by someone that does repairs on these types of scooter the reset does not always work.
  2. When someone force pushes the scooter while in drive it can damage the entire motor regardless if the battery has a reset button thus rendering the scooter useless

I always get off the scooter , place it in free wheel mode and have the crew role it down/up the ramp. I than walk down/up the ramp.

Just keying off/on does not reset the electrical if the entire electrical system cuts off. There is a reset button on the battery pack that needs to be pushed to reset the electronics.

The biggest problem is that the when the scooter does not have sufficient clearance to get over the thresholds and or gangway joints the crew rushes to immediatlely force push the scooter while still in drive. Though the crew means well, this knee jerk reaction by the crew the can result in one of 2 things.

1. The electrical cut off could engage but does not always . There is a button on the battery pack that resets the elctronics but as it has been explained to me by someone that does repairs on these types of scooter the reset does not always work.
  2. When someone force pushes the scooter while in drive it can damage the entire motor regardless if the battery has a reset button thus rendering the scooter useless

I always get off the scooter , place it in free wheel mode and have the crew role it down/up the ramp. I than walk down/up the ramp.

Well if I can't drive it up the ramp without risking the motor, I may just have to place it in the hands of the dock porters, place it in free wheel mode, take the key and slap a luggage tag on it for delivery to my stateroom. Without it, I'll require a cruiseship wheelchair assist to board.

Thanks for the warning.

Well if I can't drive it up the ramp without risking the motor, I may just have to place it in the hands of the dock porters, place it in free wheel mode, take the key and slap a luggage tag on it for delivery to my stateroom. Without it, I'll require a cruiseship wheelchair assist to board.

Thanks for the warning.

I never bring my own scooter as do not want the airlines to damage it. Instead always rent a scooter from CareVacations that gets delivered to the cabin and than use wheelchair assistance on embarkation and debarkation days.

Specifically on embarkation and debarkation days it all depends on whether the cruise lines makes the wheelchair /scooters go through another access that is easier or have to use the main access ramp . Also if the main access ramp has an elevator. Each embarkation/debarlation port varies. For example on RCCL out the Port of Baltimore and the Port of New Orleans scooters and wheelchairs are directed to an employee entrance which is ground level and a very short gangway. In this case you would ride to the gangway and than just have to walk approximately 10 feet/15Feet onto the ship while the crew rolls your scooter. Bottom line on embarkation day check out the boarding process for wheelchairs/scooters before making any decision to give up your scooter .

On port days throujghout the cruise the hangup is more of an issue as you have to go through the same exit/entrance as everyone else. The tide impacts the angle of the gangway. The earlier you're wanting to get off the harder it will be with a scooter as the gangway angle is very steep and the scooter will never clear the connecting joints unless you have a full size scooter which a Go Go is not. You sometimes have to wait until later in the morning until the tide goes down and even than the Go Go can still get hung up on the gangway due to under clearance only being 2"

I never bring my own scooter as do not want the airlines to damage it. Instead always rent a scooter from CareVacations that gets delivered to the cabin and than use wheelchair assistance on embarkation and debarkation days.

Specifically on embarkation and debarkation days it all depends on whether the cruise lines makes the wheelchair /scooters go through another access that is easier or have to use the main access ramp . Also if the main access ramp has an elevator. Each embarkation/debarlation port varies. For example on RCCL out the Port of Baltimore and the Port of New Orleans scooters and wheelchairs are directed to an employee entrance which is ground level and a very short gangway. In this case you would ride to the gangway and than just have to walk approximately 10 feet/15Feet onto the ship while the crew rolls your scooter. Bottom line on embarkation day check out the boarding process for wheelchairs/scooters before making any decision to give up your scooter .

On port days throujghout the cruise the hangup is more of an issue as you have to go through the same exit/entrance as everyone else. The tide impacts the angle of the gangway. The earlier you're wanting to get off the harder it will be with a scooter as the gangway angle is very steep and the scooter will never clear the connecting joints unless you have a full size scooter which a Go Go is not. You sometimes have to wait until later in the morning until the tide goes down and even than the Go Go can still get hung up on the gangway due to under clearance only being 2"

Thanks xxoocruiser,

I can easily walk short distances if necessary, so may just ask the crew to assist with my scooter on gangways while in port. My concern is if they will let me take it on-board tenders, as 2 of our ports on our next cruise are tender ports. I've read with Princess, this decision is descretionary. Luckily the Go-Go can be broken down easily, so if the crew will assist me, I can carry it down the ramp to the tender. We'll see if they will allow this. Hope so. ;)

Edited by J&B in GA

Thanks xxoocruiser,

I can easily walk short distances if necessary, so may just ask the crew to assist with my scooter on gangways while in port. My concern is if they will let me take it on-board tenders, as 2 of our ports on our next cruise are tender ports. I've read with Princess, this decision is descretionary. Luckily the Go-Go can be broken down easily, so if the crew will assist me, I can carry it down the ramp to the tender. We'll see if they will allow this. Hope so. ;)

Tendering is always iffy on all cruiselines. I always go with the expectation that the cruiseline will not allow the scooter on the tender that way there's no disappointment. Than if it is allowed it's a pleasant bonus !

Tendering is always iffy on all cruiselines. I always go with the expectation that the cruiseline will not allow the scooter on the tender that way there's no disappointment. Than if it is allowed it's a pleasant bonus !

xxoocruiser,

Is there any way to find out in advance, like when we board, who do we ask who has absolute authority on the matter ? The Captain ? He's not usually available for questions on embarkation. :) I'd hate to arrive at the tender disembarkation deck to board the tender and then be denied. That would mean another lengthy trip back to the cabin to store the scooter, grab the cane, and hobble my way back to the tender disembarkation deck. Most likely 30 mins. later and I'd miss my excursion ! :eek:

Take the canes with you. If you are off the scooter they are much more likely to put it on the tender. If they will take you and refuse the scooter they will keep the scooter near the exit area. I travel with a travelscoot scooter and have never been denied on Princess however the scooter is very light (35 lbs although it is rated for 325 lbs.) I would not however be at the tender deck without a pair of canes. I got my canes from Magellans and they collapse so they can easily go in a backpack or day bag or whatever. The decision to allow or not allow scooter tendering is very much an "at the moment" decision. It may be that the waves are such that it will be too dangerous for those of us without excellent balance to try to tender. If that decision is made then I go and enjoy the ship.

Edited by katisdale

Take the canes with you. If you are off the scooter they are much more likely to put it on the tender. If they will take you and refuse the scooter they will keep the scooter near the exit area. I travel with a travelscoot scooter and have never been denied on Princess however the scooter is very light (35 lbs although it is rated for 325 lbs.) I would not however be at the tender deck without a pair of canes. I got my canes from Magellans and they collapse so they can easily go in a backpack or day bag or whatever. The decision to allow or not allow scooter tendering is very much an "at the moment" decision. It may be that the waves are such that it will be too dangerous for those of us without excellent balance to try to tender. If that decision is made then I go and enjoy the ship.

Thanks katisdale, great advise. I actually only have a single walking cane, just for balance, but I'll take it with me to make sure I have some support if they deny tendering the scooter. Since they will keep it near the tender door, should I put it in free wheel mode and take my key, so they can push it out of the way if needed ?

Thanks katisdale, great advise. I actually only have a single walking cane, just for balance, but I'll take it with me to make sure I have some support if they deny tendering the scooter. Since they will keep it near the tender door, should I put it in free wheel mode and take my key, so they can push it out of the way if needed ?

If you leave the scooter do not and I stress do not leave the scooter in free wheel mode. The scooter needs to be locked in drive at all times when not in use. The ship is not steady , it's in constant rocking motion at all times even when anchored in open waters. By leaving the scooter in free wheel mode you place others at risk of being injured by an unsecured scooter as it can role on it's own at any moment. You risk damaging the scooter when it does role and knock into something because you left it in free wheel mode. Rather show security how to place the scooter in free wheel mode if needed. Also you can tape a note with instructions to it.

Note : actually it's against safety regulations to leave the scooter unattended in public areas especially the a busy traffic area such as a gangsway exit. Not to mention that it's a liability risk. RCCL will not allow the scooter to be left in or near the gangway area . It has to be returned to cabin . I'm very surprised that Princess allows this.

Edited by xxoocruiser

If you leave the scooter do not and I stress do not leave the scooter in free wheel mode. The scooter needs to be locked in drive at all times when not in use. The ship is not steady , it's in constant rocking motion at all times even when anchored in open waters. By leaving the scooter in free wheel mode you place others at risk of being injured by an unsecured scooter as it can role on it's own at any moment. You risk damaging the scooter when it does role and knock into something because you left it in free wheel mode. Rather show security how to place the scooter in free wheel mode if needed. Also you can tape a note with instructions to it.

Note : actually it's against safety regulations to leave the scooter unattended in public areas especially the a busy traffic area such as a gangsway exit. Not to mention that it's a liability risk. RCCL will not allow the scooter to be left in or near the gangway area . It has to be returned to cabin . I'm very surprised that Princess allows this.

xxoocruiser,

That didn't occur to me, having never owned a scooter before, but makes a lot of sense. The ship's officer at the tender exit will probably have me stow it on broadway if I don't have to return it to my cabin, which is out of the way of disembarking guests. I'll leave it in drive mode and tape a note on the scooter to show how to place in free wheel mode if needed, leave one key in the scooter and take a spare with me. Hopefully all this won't be necessary as katisdale pointed out, he's never been denied by Princess to take his scooter on the tender.

BTW - Since starting this thread, the person selling the used Pride Mobility Go-Go Ultra X 3 scooter has changed her mind, so now I'm looking to purchase another one. Considering the Shoprider® Cooper Mobility Scooter from Costco, as they have a great price on it and a generous return policy, should I not like it's performance. The specs say the ground clearance is only 1-1/2", 1/2 inch less than the Pride Mobility Go-Go Ultra X 3. Does anyone own or has used one of these scooters ? Please let me know what you think of it.

Thanks.

xxoocruiser,

That didn't occur to me, having never owned a scooter before, but makes a lot of sense. The ship's officer at the tender exit will probably have me stow it on broadway if I don't have to return it to my cabin, which is out of the way of disembarking guests. I'll leave it in drive mode and tape a note on the scooter to show how to place in free wheel mode if needed, leave one key in the scooter and take a spare with me. Hopefully all this won't be necessary as katisdale pointed out, he's never been denied by Princess to take his scooter on the tender.

Thanks.

Absolutely do not leave the key. The crew enjoy riding these and since you will be off the ship there will be know no way of knowing who might actually be using the scooter in your absense. The note with instruction as to how to place the scooter in free wheel mode is all you have to do.

Absolutely do not leave the key. The crew enjoy riding these and since you will be off the ship there will be know no way of knowing who might actually be using the scooter in your absense. The note with instruction as to how to place the scooter in free wheel mode is all you have to do.

xxoocruiser,

I was going to leave it in case they needed to move it, but your point is again right-on, never occurred to me what the crew might do in my absense. Thanks again for all your recommendations. Love these boards ! :D

BTW - Are you familliar with the Shoprider® Cooper Mobility Scooter ?

We still have the GoGoElite Traveller Plus for sale. See post #7

It really is a comfortable and durable scooter to travel with.

xxoocruiser,

BTW - Since starting this thread, the person selling the used Pride Mobility Go-Go Ultra X 3 scooter has changed her mind, so now I'm looking to purchase another one. Considering the Shoprider® Cooper Mobility Scooter from Costco, as they have a great price on it and a generous return policy, should I not like it's performance. The specs say the ground clearance is only 1-1/2", 1/2 inch less than the Pride Mobility Go-Go Ultra X 3. Does anyone own or has used one of these scooters ? Please let me know what you think of it.

Thanks.

xxoocruiser,

I was going to leave it in case they needed to move it, but your point is again right-on, never occurred to me what the crew might do in my absense. Thanks again for all your recommendations. Love these boards ! :D

BTW - Are you familliar with the Shoprider® Cooper Mobility Scooter ?

If the crew has to move it they can just pull it in free wheel mode.

Re: Shoprider - familiar with it but have never used one. Here's the link to the Owners Manual for your reference. http://www.shoprider.com/forms_2006/manual/manual_Cooper.pdf

Think you previously mentioned buying from Costco. Though Costco stands behind everything they sell, you won't be able to test ride one before purchasing as I think it's only sold on-line. Therefore if you can find a medical supply place near you that sells Shoprider Scooters, perhaps it would be a good idea to test ride one first.

Edited by xxoocruiser

DH has a Pride Go-Go Elite HD and loves it. In fact, we used it last June on our Med. cruise. It is easy to store in our trunk and very easy to assemble. It fits through the ship cabin doors, and, with it being collapsible was quite easy to store in the cabin when he wasn't using it. We were fortunate that our health insurance covered the cost of the scooter, which probably make it more enjoyable to us.

We didn't have any tender stops, so we've not tried that yet. We are leaving next month for an eastern caribbean cruise and we are extremely glad we will have the Go-Go Elite to use again. It certainly allows DH to be more mobile.

J&B, we too live in North Georgia and another way we enjoy the scooter is when we go to the North Georgia Premium Outlets. If you can find a Pride Go-Go Elite you will definitely love it.

Terry from Georgia

DH has a Pride Go-Go Elite HD and loves it. In fact, we used it last June on our Med. cruise. It is easy to store in our trunk and very easy to assemble. It fits through the ship cabin doors, and, with it being collapsible was quite easy to store in the cabin when he wasn't using it. We were fortunate that our health insurance covered the cost of the scooter, which probably make it more enjoyable to us.

We didn't have any tender stops, so we've not tried that yet. We are leaving next month for an eastern caribbean cruise and we are extremely glad we will have the Go-Go Elite to use again. It certainly allows DH to be more mobile.

J&B, we too live in North Georgia and another way we enjoy the scooter is when we go to the North Georgia Premium Outlets. If you can find a Pride Go-Go Elite you will definitely love it.

Terry from Georgia

Terry,

Thanks for the recommendation. With all the positive reviews regarding the Pride Go-Go Elite series, I decided to buy a new Pride Go-Go Elite Plus. I found a great price on-line at Amazon, just $100 more than a used Pride Go-Go Elite, and since it's new comes with a full warranty and the 12v, 18Ah batteries I wanted. With the 9" wheels it also has 3" of ground clearance, so hopefully will clear the ship's thresholds. I hope I enjoy it as much as all of you love your's. :D

Thanks again everyone for ALL your recommendations and suggestions !

• 1 year later...

Very old thread ...But I have 2 Pride Victories (for my wife) but heck I use one just to keep up with her around the yard etc...BUT we also use a GoGo Ultra for her to use at church and to go shopping with (it is small enough even for her to lift up the front end and then push it into mini van (with the center seats removed) ..We use the GoGO on cruises ...all the time... Tenders can be a problem BUT not if you do not ever get off the ship at ports where tenders are used...

Yes it does have "some" clearance problems but nothing that has ever been major..if it happens and I am not around she just gets off flips the switch to put into free wheel and push it a foot or so..

Beats spending a couple hundred bucks to rent a scooter one (we have done that before and the rental fee for 3 cruses = the new price of a new GoGO scooter)

One big tip however if you buy ANY PRIDE Scooter if you store it or do not use it for extended periods of time remove the batteries and rubber-band the speed control to either FULL Forward or FULL Reverse .. Otherwise the speed pot may corrode and will not function at any speed except extremely slow... We had this problem with several scooters we owned over the years UNTIL we started rubber-banding the speed pot (the levers) every winter when she does not use the scooter much ..have not had a problem in years

Bob G