Going alone!

JETISON

Hi

Thinking about booking a cruise trip on the Azura to the Canary Islands in May.

Has anyone else done a solo cruise and if so, how did they find it?

Thank you

Jetison

No problem, i have done 15 :)

On P&O they will have meetings for solo travellers where you get coffee etc etc. If you are nervous about using the main dining room in the evenings choose club dining as they will probably put a few solos together on a table with some couples. I choose a large table as you get to meet more people.

Cruising is a great way for solos to take a holiday as you have a safe, secure environment and all food and entertainment is laid on. The vast majority of fellow passengers are friendly and i seem to spend a lot of time talking :D

If you have any questions, just ask.

I agree. Done a couple of solo cruises. Book fixed dining on large table. Scout round for a friendly bar and make one of the bar stools your own. Nothing makes you feel less alone than the bartender pouring your favourite tipple before you sit down (also a little scary :-P).

Join in quizzes, games etc. You will soon bump into like minded people time and again. Not necessarily solos, but that doesn't matter. In no time at all you will be greeting people all over the place, and being offered seats at shared tables etc.

I would never dream of going on a 'normal' holiday on my own, but don't think twice about a cruise.

I have cruised regularly on my own since the death of my partner a number of years ago. It is a very sociable holiday as you soon get to know others, especially in the evenings when everyone is on the ship. I prefer freedom dining as it allows me to meet new people over a meal every evening, many of whom you will meet again elsewhere.

On our recent Cruise on Azura we were lucky enough to meet a charming old gentleman who was on his own and staying on the ship for three months. We thoroughly enjoyed chatting to him while the ship was sailing out one evening. People are very sociable on Cruise ships. There will always be someone to talk to. We always chat to the Photographers and the lovely young people in the shops. They are always glad to pass the time of day with you, as they are standing around for hours on end. Just go for it !

Most of my cruises have been done as a solo and I loved all of them. It is a great way to have a relaxing holiday, join in with quizzes, deck sports etc, and eat good food. Choose a large table and they usually put solos together. Last Xmas I shared a cabin with two friends I met on ships. Nothing to beat in IMO.

I should also add that I have sailed on Fred Olsen and Cunard as well as a single traveller but I have much more fun and feel much more at home on P&O if alone.

Archived