Jewel of the seas, info please

Hi, any and all info about this ship would be appreciated! I have a couple of questions as well, do they have 24/7 soft serve ice cream, a nice basketball court, I'd any one can share a picture that would be great as well, both a requirement for my teenage son. It's been a long time since we cruised RCL, found this cruise over spring break and really hoping we can make it happen.

No soft serve ice cream 24/7..it's probably open til 1am. Basketball court is fine. The ship is nice, but I would suggest for a teenage boy a Freedom class ship. If you can do 7 nights, Freedom of the Seas in Port Canaveral. If you want a 4-5 night, the Liberty of the Seas. The Explorer class is also great for teens because they have more venues than the Jewel and (like the Freedom class) the Royal Promenade. They may cost a little more, but it's well worth it. The ships with the Royal Promenade are a hit with teens.

Jewel is my favorite ship ever! I've sailed on her three times. In addition to her great layout, with lots of glass and views of the sea, there's something about her that attracts the best staff as well.

Lots of pictures on my Shutterfly share page, so click on the link in my signature.

There is soft serve ice cream, but not 24/7.

The basketball court is on deck 12 http://www.cruisecritic.com/jewel-of-the-seas-deck-plans/dp/?shipID=307&deck=12

No soft serve ice cream 24/7..it's probably open til 1am. Basketball court is fine. The ship is nice, but I would suggest for a teenage boy a Freedom class ship. If you can do 7 nights, Freedom of the Seas in Port Canaveral. If you want a 4-5 night, the Liberty of the Seas. The Explorer class is also great for teens because they have more venues than the Jewel and (like the Freedom class) the Royal Promenade. They may cost a little more, but it's well worth it. The ships with the Royal Promenade are a hit with teens.

Thanks so much, the only requirement for my son is basketball and this is the only sailing I could find that keeps us home on Easter and since dad doesn't want to cruise this time I don't want to be gone that long, just looking for a fun time for DS and relaxing time for me. Ice cream until 1 am works!

Jewel is my favorite ship ever! I've sailed on her three times. In addition to her great layout, with lots of glass and views of the sea, there's something about her that attracts the best staff as well.

Lots of pictures on my Shutterfly share page, so click on the link in my signature.

There is soft serve ice cream, but not 24/7.

The basketball court is on deck 12 http://www.cruisecritic.com/jewel-of-the-seas-deck-plans/dp/?shipID=307&deck=12

Glad to hear it, thank you, the ship looks very nice!

Can you tell me about the dining options, what's included, what's an additional charge? Can my son wear dress shorts in the dining room? Whats not to miss?

The only added cost restaurants on the Jewel are Chops and Portofino. The food in the Windjammer, Solarium Cafe, and Seaview Cafe is included in your cruise fare. The Seaview Cafe on Deck 12 is a special favorite of ours and, early in the cruise, before many passengers discover it, it is easy to get seats either inside or out on deck. Burgers, Cuban sandwiches, fried chicken, fish and chips and nachos etc are among the more popular items. Check the daily Cruise Compass for the hours when it is open.

You will see all manner of dress in the dining room so he can wear what he feels most comfortable in and there is not likely to be a problem even though the suggested dress code mentions that shorts aren't recommended in the evening.

The only added cost restaurants on the Jewel are Chops and Portofino. The food in the Windjammer, Solarium Cafe, and Seaview Cafe is included in your cruise fare. The Seaview Cafe on Deck 12 is a special favorite of ours and, early in the cruise, before many passengers discover it, it is easy to get seats either inside or out on deck. Burgers, Cuban sandwiches, fried chicken, fish and chips and nachos etc are among the more popular items. Check the daily Cruise Compass for the hours when it is open.

You will see all manner of dress in the dining room so he can wear what he feels most comfortable in and there is not likely to be a problem even though the suggested dress code mentions that shorts aren't recommended in the evening.

Thank you for the info!

The rule is no shorts in the Main Dining Room for dinner but I have seen it not enforced. It could be an issue on formal night but there is always the Windjammer as an option.

Thanks, I'll recommend the pants to him as he enjoys the dining room experience.

I would just have him bring a pair of khaki slacks and he can wear different shirts each night. There is one formal night, but that's a suggested attire. If he wants to play "dress up" for something different, you can have him wear a button down shirt with or without a tie...otherwise he can go casual.

You are allowed to bring up to 2 bottles of wine on board. You can also pack waters and sodas. If he drinks a lot of soda, it's more convenient to just get him he soda card. Otherwise, lemonade, iced tea, and flavored water is free on board (and juices like OJ at breakfast).

I like to go to all the shows. I would recommend seeing the Love and Marriage Game show. The Quest is an adult scavenger hunt. It's rated R and can get crazy. I would sit in the back and just watch people make fools of themselves lol.

Can I pack water/soda in my checked luggage? And can I carry some wine on with me?

Royal's rules technically do not allow water and soda, however they don't enforce that rule often. If you pack water and soda in your checked backs, that may show up on their scanners as suspicious and cause a delay in your luggage delivery. They may ask you to come down to security and open your luggage.

I pack my soda/water in a separte tote cooler and put a tag on it. I don't lock it. That way they can look in there and see it is just soda and water. Never have had an issue, always makes it to the cabin just fine.

Hi, any and all info about this ship would be appreciated! I have a couple of questions as well, do they have 24/7 soft serve ice cream, a nice basketball court, I'd any one can share a picture that would be great as well, both a requirement for my teenage son. It's been a long time since we cruised RCL, found this cruise over spring break and really hoping we can make it happen.

The soft ice cream is in the Windjammer. They don't open up the ice cream machine until late morning. The WJ closes shortly after 9:00pm so you will not have access to the machine.

As others have said the basketball court looks fine and always seems to be someone one it. Not being a basketball player I'm going by looks alone:)

Wow, thanks everyone! I'll get ds the soda card, water and soda is for me, I only take a few sodas, but I like water for the room and ports. Is there pizza? Anything available after 9 pm when the WJ closes for hungry teenagers?

Wow, thanks everyone! I'll get ds the soda card, water and soda is for me, I only take a few sodas, but I like water for the room and ports. Is there pizza? Anything available after 9 pm when the WJ closes for hungry teenagers?

Yes, pizza is normally available until late in the evening, at least midnight. And room service is free until midnight, after that there is a charge. The Pizzaria is on the pool deck. Also Seaview Cafe is open later, cannot remember how late, but I know it is later than 9 pm.

Thanks again everyone! A couple of more Q's, does the inside rooms have refrigerator and blowdryer? I'm booking right now. I'm so excited about exploring a new ship and RCL again after all these years!

Yes, the inside staterooms have coolers and blowdryers. The coolers do not keep things very cold, and they are almost filled to capacity with items to purchase, like soda, water, and snacks. The blowdryers are the type you have to keep a button depressed all the time to keep it on. Some posters have recommended bringing your own blowdryer as they thought the ship's blowdryer was underpowered.

Thanks again everyone! A couple of more Q's, does the inside rooms have refrigerator and blowdryer? I'm booking right now. I'm so excited about exploring a new ship and RCL again after all these years!

All of the staterooms, interior and outside, have both. Enjoy your time on the Jewel.

Jewel has not yet been retrofitted so the Solarium and Seaview Cafes remain unchanged. Revitalization of Jewel is still not due until 2016, although there have been some claims that it will occur next year. We may have a better idea when the 2014-15 schedules are released.

Archived