Do I need to bring a copy of my divorce decree?

Lisichka

I realize that is probably a weird question, but I remember last year they would not let me back into the U.S. without first seeing my divorce decree stating I had sole custody of my son.

As once again I am traveling with my son (obviously and thankfully without my ex) do I need to prove when sailing that I have custody?

I realize that is probably a weird question, but I remember last year they would not let me back into the U.S. without first seeing my divorce decree stating I had sole custody of my son.

As once again I am traveling with my son (obviously and thankfully without my ex) do I need to prove when sailing that I have custody?

For peace of mind you can take it, doubtful they will even ask.

I never had mine and I too had sole custody. I took my youngest three times and the middle girl once as a minor.

Took my divorce papers with me when my son and I went to Europe (several times) and one cruise after my divorce. Because we had joint custody, I also took certified letters from my former husband saying he endorsed the trips. Never needed them . . . of course that was over twenty-two years ago (my son is now twenty-eight years old and still treasures the memories of all the trip we were able to take together . . . absolutly priceless). I say take your divorce papers . . . you will probably never need them but . . . better safe than sorry. ;)

Going to Caribbean in July, no passport. I have birth cert. with maiden name, DL with married name. Marriage license has previous married name. Am I going to have a problem with this?:(

Does your DL match your current last name? If so, I wouldn't worry....but I'm a male so I wouldn't worry regardless. ;) If your DL doesn't match your current, I would carry all documents tracking the name changes. Better safe than sorry.

Going to Caribbean in July, no passport. I have birth cert. with maiden name, DL with married name. Marriage license has previous married name. Am I going to have a problem with this?:(

clsee1515,

I have the same situation. Last year was our first cruise and I took all the paperwork I thought I might need:

birth certificate (maiden name)

driver's license (married name)

marriage license (last name of previous marriage)

divorce papers ( with my maiden name on them)

all I was ever asked for was my certified birth certificate and driver's license and that was only when we were embarking.

Since I have all the paperwork already, I just keep in it a the folder I use for our cruise information. Next year, I guess it won't matter much since we will have to have a passport anyway.

Poeple, people, people -- such overkill. (Please don't think that I'm directing this at anyone personnally).

As long as your DL matches the name on the reservation and the first name and date of birth match the drivers license - they are not going to say BOO. Now if you got married in the days leading up to the cruise or on the cruise then you will need a marriage license to tie it all in a nice a little bow - since your DL may not match the other documentation.

If you want to be 100% sure - then get a passport - and guess what??? You won't need your marriage license or divorce decree for that either - DL and BC is the only thing required. There may be exceptions when it involves childrens passports and custody issues - then the decree may be needed depending on the age of the child. They rarely ask for the letters of authorization to take the children out of the country without the other parent. In this case I would bring a letter because this IS something that could stop you from boarding with your child. Just don't bring it up.

If it makes you feel more comfortable to take all these pieces of paper then do it. When in doubt??? But really - I don't think they expect a married female to have the same last name as on their birth certificate. That only happens on rare occasions when someone marries someone with the same last name or keeps their last name.

Getting off soap box now. :D

If you want to be 100% sure - then get a passport - and guess what??? You won't need your marriage license or divorce decree for that either - DL and BC is the only thing required. There may be exceptions when it involves childrens passports and custody issues - then the decree may be needed depending on the age of the child. They rarely ask for the letters of authorization to take the children out of the country without the other parent. In this case I would bring a letter because this IS something that could stop you from boarding with your child. Just don't bring it up.

When I just got my passport renewed and needed to send in my old passport, a copy of my drivers license and my original marriaage license as well, that they returned with my new passport.

The cruise line might be different, but I almost was not allowed to fly to Mexico with my 17 yr even with my decree. I needed a notarized letter from my ex. Luckily, LAX has a notary in the Bradly terminal and for $25.00 they hooked me up!! Better to be safe than sorry!!

I agree with the person who said get a passport. Be aware that since 9/11, there have been some changes to the requirements of getting a passport for a child. Certainly there are exceptions to every rule, but I believe BOTH parents must apply for the child's passport. Also, why take the chance of a "snafu" with your vacation, have your cranky ex-husband give you some kind of letter acknowledging that your child will be with you, on a cruise outside of the USA. Better safe than sorry.

Archived