One dinner in San Juan -- Where would you go?

cctimmom

Our favorite spot is the El Picoteo in the courtyard of the El Convento hotel.

There is a 350+ yr old picoteo tree in the middle and the restaurant is all open air. Thousands of tiny white lights in the trees and candles lit everywhere too. They have wonderful tapas (all kinds) and are famous for their sangria - but I prefer their mojitos..... just has a unique ambience to it and the hotel was originally built 350+ years ago as a convent. We stayed here our first trip but have been back to eat numerous times.

Check out Casita Miramar. It may be walking distance for you. It was recommended to us in January before our cruise. It was great. Small, but very nice restaurant with excellent food. Local flavors and fresh ingredients. They come by the table periodically with appetizers and samples. They are only open for dinner and do not take reservations. It was a short walk from the Sheraton convention center. We plan to eat there again on our next trip.

There was a little restaurant across from the Hotel El Convento (the courtyard area) where we stayed a couple years ago called Rosa De Triana. It was quiet and the Paella was really good (in my opinion). We happened to be there when there was man with a guitar and woman were sitting at the bar. She started this impromptu singing with the guitar and it was absolutely gorgeous. The staff was very nice. It is a very relaxed atmosphere.

El Picoteo is also very good. Their sangria is wonderful.

Staying at the Courtyard Miramar, but willing to take a taxi to OSJ (I'm assuming it's easy to get one back in the evening?)

Where would you eat, given the choice?

Marmalade! 4-course tasting menu, rivals fine diningBoston,NYC,ATL

El Picoteo in the courtyard of the El Convento hotel seems to be a favorite. Would you please tell me if our sons (18 & 10) would be out of place & what the dress is like? I looked at the website, and it really doesn't mention dress or atmosphere. TIA! :D

Nice shorts and shirt is fine. I wouldn't wear cut offs or excersise type shorts or anything..... but a casual country club dress type.

Not sure exactly why they would be "out of place" - it is a restaurant and a casual outdoor one.

I usually wear capris when goofing around in old San Juan and dh wears nice Dockers shorts with collared shirt.

Be sure and order a bunch of different tapas and then share - that is the fun way ! The lobster empanadas are yummy as are the rest of the items on the menu.......

Have been to Marmalade several times and have an upcoming reservation.

Truly memorable food.

When someone can make bean soup extraordinary, you won't believe what he can do with the "good stuff."

Is El Picoteo within walking distance of the Port?

Absolutely. It is located in the El Convento hotel courtyard which is right across the street from the cathedral.

Actually most everything is walking distance from the docks of old San Juan which is where ships dock that are in port for the day.

The Pan Am pier located across the large U shaped harbor is not within walking distance to anything but that is where some ships embark and disembark.

Perhaps a google search for a map of Old San Juan would help ? :D

Raices in Old San Juan is awesome. Authentic Puerto Rican food. We went there on the recommendation of my friend who lives in Puerto Rico. One note - beware of some of the taxi pricing in San Juan. We got ripped off a few times - there are set prices to travel to certain places, and with 6 of us and our luggage the prices always seemed to go up.

We're in port on a Friday night from 3 - 9. If we wanted to eat around 6:30 or 7:00, should we have reservations?

Thanks!

Cindy

Probably not...... remember San Juan is very European and they eat LATE ! They will usually head out to dinner around 9:00 pm and hit the clubs/bars around 10-10:30-11:00...... but if you are worried - they take reservations.

Archived