Broadway to Bermuda

My husband and I are considering booking this cruise on the Navigator this summer. Is there anyone who can give us some insight into Radisson and this particular itinerary?

We are veterans of 15 cruises, mostly on Holland America. We always book suites and enjoy a relaxing, elegant, upscale, traditional cruise experience. Generally we enjoy cruises that are longer than seven days, however we are looking for something to tide us over until our scheduled fourteen day cruise in November.

We have never been to Bermuda. We imagine it to be like Nassau was when we were there on our honeymoon 38 years ago when it was more British. We enjoy life onboard, although we are not into onboard activities that are scheduled by a cruise staff, pool games and the like.

We are attracted to this particular sailing because of the Broadway title. We are avid theater goers and have both participated in live theater productions. So we have an interest in theater.

We would appreciate any comments you have to offer.

Linda :)

Have been to Bermuda many times via ship and also plane and took sailed on the Navigator last year. I was in Nassau in 1981 the year it went independent and would imagine that you were there about the time when Sean Connery was making Thunder ball there. My ex husband took a cruise in 1968 to Nassau and always liked Bermuda better. I would day the Barbados is more similar to the old Nassau. The people in Bermuda are the most helpful, friendliest and all around nice. You will never get asked to by anything from a street vendor, they do not exist. It is quite civilized and the standard of living is high - not like the Caribbean. We met the Mayor of St. Georges on our Radisson trip (the former Town Crier who is still featured on This Old House Bermuda Segment - Michael Jones who also owns the Internet cafe and a gift shop. I went to visit him on another during another cruise a few months later and needed a post card from the gift shop so he gives me a huge set of at least 40 keys and says" "Let yourself in and leave the money on the Counter."

You should like Radisson. There is not all that much structured stuff to do and it is nice that way. Is a very luxurous ship. What deck/cabin did you book as there is a difference in location even though the cabins are the same.

This time am staying on the ship in Norfolk. The Williamsburg tour was hot the first week of June last year so I can imagine how it would be in August. There really is to all that much to do at this port. May go to the Mc Arthur Museum which is just across the pier.

Althought I prefer Radisson to any other ship sailing to Bermuda and have been on most of them (except the Queen of Bermuda and NCL), the Celebrity Navigator has the best itinery as you get 4 days in Bermuda (2 in St Georges). Am going on that and RCCL Voyager also this year with different friends/family.

Also unlike Barbados, the port is right by the dock, you don't need to first walk a half mile (as we did on QM2) and then take a taxi into town. I can't think of any other island I find that compares to all that Bermuda has.

Thanks Jeanne,

I imagine it will be quite hot in Bermuda in August. Personally I have no problem staying on the ship. It is my favorite port. I do agree with you that being able to walk right off and be in town is a big bonus, though.

My husband and I have learned a lot since resarching this cruise. Initially we did not think there was much to do in Bermuda with the exception of golf or horseback riding. We have certainly learned our lesson.

Linda :)

Linda:

Having always been to Bermuda in the spring and Fall I was hesitant to go last August (we went on Celebrity – wanted to go on the Navigator again but needed to sail that week and she was on the Iceland Voyage). It actually was very nice. The cruise preceding us had three days of rain in port, and we were told it was very hot in July, but we were fortunate.

There is much to do – more so than any other island I have been to.

Jeanne

DW and I did this ship/itinerary last summer. You should be aware that the St George's stop is on a Sunday, when everything is closed, and there is virtually nothing to do.

Also, the Norfolk stop is a throw-in to add more passengers in the VA/DC area.

Nevertheless, the ship is outstanding, as is the food/sevice/crew.

Hope this helps.

Last year on a Sunday (June 2nd Navigator Cruise) we found about 10 shops that were open. The Former Town Crier's internet Cafe and gift shop, the three touristy stores adjacent the dock, Two watercolor studios, Trimminghams, The English Sweater Shop, and the restuarants adjacent the pier.

Archived