Reason to Fly in the Day Before

We are in Vancouver ready to go to the Vision in less than 4 hours. Just glad we came in the day before as my son flying from Nashvill had his flight cancelled after mechanical problems and did not get in last night until about 8. If it had been today he would have missed the ship by about 4 hours.

This was on a perfect day for flying as far as weather, etc. was concerned.:)

I agree.... Flying in the day before is definitely the way to go!

We missed a connection flying down for our last cruise. It wasn't a huge problem, they re-routed us and we ended up getting in 4 hours later. Our luggage, however, didn't make it to Miami until 24 hours after we did! :eek:

If we wouldn't have flown in a full day before, we would have been sailing without our suitcases!

Glad you all made it in time for your ship! :)

Glad you made it...it does pay to fly a day ahead....well worth the cost of a hotel for the night. And I like being refreshed in the morning not frazzled by the stress of time and possible delays. :eek:

Enjoy your cruise, Bill, Vision is a great ship and Alaska is beautiful...please post on your return!! ;)

DH and I were just talking today about whether we should take the first flight out th morning of our cruise or the night before. Reading this post just convinced me the day before! Much less stressful.

DH and I were just talking today about whether we should take the first flight out th morning of our cruise or the night before. Reading this post just convinced me the day before! Much less stressful.

Good choice. Even if nothing goes wrong with your flights, you'd still feel stressed once you got to the ship if you traveled day of.

We generally cruise the caribbean sometime between Late January and April flying in from Connecticut. Needless to say - weather has always been dicey that time of the year. So flying in the night before insures we will not be stressed to make the ship.

This year AOS in January - we spoke to people who "tried" to do that from Albany only to have the flight cancelled on Saturday and took 18 hrs on Sunday - they did not make the departure. RCCL put them up for 2 nights in San Juan and flew them to Aruba

on their dime as it was Cruise Air - others we hear didn't get luggage til we docked in Aruba. Besides we get to start the vacation a day early.

We live in Austin,Tx and usually cruise out of Galveston. I like to drive down the day before. You never know when you might have care trouble or there be an accident on the bridge to Galveston. It's just more relaxing to be there the night before.

Joyce

Even if nothing goes wrong with your flights

We always go down to Galveston (Rhapsody) from Dallas a day early just to ensure departure day is relaxed and not exhausting. So much nicer to sleep late, have a nice breakfast, then a 30 minute drive to the ship---and be on board by noon.

Weather isn't the only thing that can delay a flight. All it takes is something suspicious during screening and they can shut down an entire airport.

My vacation is too important to me to risk having it spoiled by problems getting to the ship.

Weather isn't the only thing that can delay a flight. All it takes is something suspicious during screening and they can shut down an entire airport.

My vacation is too important to me to risk having it spoiled by problems getting to the ship.

Excellant point!!! Thanks for reminding us of this, it does happen.....DH was security manager at Sky Harbor in Phx...he has seen that one time too many and it was before 9-11 so now its more complex.

Can you imagine sitting at the gate with 10 minutes before boarding your plane and all of a sudden there is a security breech or threat...the airport would be evucated and it would take 6 hours or longer to get back to normal. It happens and its not a pretty picture :eek: Just one more reason to fly a day ahead.;)

Even without delays and waiting, the airport is not a very pleasant place to be anymore. The last time I traveled I ended up undressed down to my pants and a tee shirt, and it was cold outside. I know that's what they have to do to keep us safe, but what makes me just come unglued is that I go through all that when I travel, and stuff is still getting through that shouldn't get through.

Anyway, to be at the airport 2 hours before our flight and make it to Florida in time for a cruise makes us either not go to bed the night before or have to get up about 3 a.m. If we take the 6:00 a.m. flight, we have to get up at 3 a.m. or earlier. Why go to bed!? Well, that's why we fly in the day before. By the time I get up at 3 a.m. and go through all the airport hassles and fly to Florida, I'm worn out, and the first day of the cruise is a loss.

Archived