Gluten Free Beer

Dee777

We have a cruise booked for the Breeze. I have Celiac disease and can't have regular beer so must have gluten free beer. I sent Carnival a message asking if they carry GF beer now (they hadn't before but never hurts to check).

The message I finally received back:

Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

In regards to your inquiry we do not have gluten-free beer available onboard however it can be hand-carried onboard provided a Doctor’s note is presented. If you do not have a Doctor’s note the beer will be turned over to the ship following normal alcohol confiscation policy. We will only allow one 6-pack of Gluten Free Beer per person.

One six pack for an 8 day cruise, yet anyone else without a gluten issue can buy as many as they like on board? Hardly seems fair. Not to mention the beer I buy comes in packs of four bottles. I wish they would carry the stupid stuff so I could just buy it on board.

And so concludes my rant of the day.

Happy cruising, and have a beer for me!

Dee

Not to be a downer - but I think they are being nice to let you bring onboard. There are other things to drink and alcohol is not necessary to have a good time. It's a nice bonus but not required.

Arpin05, I get what you're saying. I don't drink to have a good time or to inebriation. I do like to have a cold one on an evening on our aft balcony, and maybe one by the pool in the afternoon. Surely 2 drinks per day for 7 or 8 days is not too much to ask. I don't drink hard liquor nor do I drink wine.

They do gluten free food very well.

Luckily I drink vodka too but there is something about being on the water with a cold brew.

I did glance at a store in one of the ports that had some craft beers (which surprised me) for GF but none....

They should at least allow the 12 bottles that they allow for non-alcoholic beverages. I wonder if you showed up with more and showed the Dr.'s note, they would just let you pass. I mean at security, they are looking for 12 bottles per person, so they may not know you were told only 6.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So, even with a doctors note, you only get SIX?:eek::eek:

Yup, that is BS!!!!

Is there anything else you like to drink, that is Gluten Free?

I'm sorry...this seems to be so common now, but I don't really know much about it.

Good Luck to you!!!!!:)

10 in 100,000,000, people think it's bs.. Odds are against ya.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Celiac disease is far from BS. My DS was diagnosed at age 10. His small intestine showed extreme villous atrophy from the antibodies attacking the gluten and his villi. He never once showed signs of gluten sensitivity and still does not feel ill if he eats it. He was undergoing a colonoscopy and endoscopy for other digestive issues he was having and the Celiac was discovered and then confirmed with off the chart levels of transglutiminase antibodies.

Trust me there are those who choose to eat GF because it is "healthy" or the "in thing", in which case I too cry BS, but DS would give anything to be able to eat normal foods!

The Op said not having the beer is bs, I'll try to word my sentences more careful.. Why are the gluten people so defensive :confused:

I was just saying not enough people have this issue to warrant carnival stocking and maintaining inventory on the type of beer.. See what I ment to say now?

So, which gluten free beer do you drink?

it looks like corona has less than 20 ppm, which meets the definition of "gluten free" legally. I wonder if your "Gluten free" beer is also "legally" gluten free" or completely gluten free.

Arpin05, I get what you're saying. I don't drink to have a good time or to inebriation. I do like to have a cold one on an evening on our aft balcony, and maybe one by the pool in the afternoon. Surely 2 drinks per day for 7 or 8 days is not too much to ask. I don't drink hard liquor nor do I drink wine.

Arpie05, I apologize for the misspelling of your name. Silly autocorrect changed it on me :)

They do gluten free food very well.

Luckily I drink vodka too but there is something about being on the water with a cold brew.

I did glance at a store in one of the ports that had some craft beers (which surprised me) for GF but none....

They do a mighty FINE job of their GF food! Yeah, finding GF beer is always hit and miss :(

They should at least allow the 12 bottles that they allow for non-alcoholic beverages. I wonder if you showed up with more and showed the Dr.'s note, they would just let you pass. I mean at security, they are looking for 12 bottles per person, so they may not know you were told only 6.

The 12 bottles would be a nice touch. Mentioning the Dr.'s note... Last cruise I went to my doc and asked him if he'd write me one. He laughed, and laughed... Then he asked me if I was serious. Then he wrote the note, all the while saying he could not believe that they did not carry at least one brand of GF beer. In the end I didn't even take any on board, it was a PITA and the six beer limit wouldn't have been Roth it on my 15 day cruise.

So, even with a doctors note, you only get SIX?:eek::eek:

Yup, that is BS!!!!

Is there anything else you like to drink, that is Gluten Free?

I'm sorry...this seems to be so common now, but I don't really know much about it.

Good Luck to you!!!!!:)

Well there is a lot of controversy regarding spirits and gluten. Rum is safe apparently because it is not made with any derivatives of barley, wheat or rye. Some say that distillation removes gluten, some say it doesn't leave it under the supposed "safe" 20 ppm level. I get so ridiculously sick from gluten that I won't knowingly consume anything that could contain it. I once spent 6 days on he bathroom floor in my hotel room in Vegas before ending up in the hospital there on I.V. fluids. It is THAT bad :o

I stick to what is labeled GF and hope for the best. Being that sick at sea is not what I want.

I don't drink the hard stuff, so if there's no beer it's basically fresh juice or water.

DEE777, I really feel for you. If I was going on your cruise my wife and I would definitely bring a 6 pack each for you and hoist one with you. I am not a dietician but I do have Type II diabetes so I do watch my eating and health and no longer require medications to control it. I read in the Wheat Belly cookbook that Bud Light, which apparently is made with rice, is supposed to only have minor traces of barley gluten. Would this be an option for you? Not a big Bud Light fan myself but when I am down south that is usually my beer of choice unless I can find some Moosehead. Wish I could bring a 24pack of Moosehead Ale on board. I will have one for you!

So, which gluten free beer do you drink?

it looks like corona has less than 20 ppm, which meets the definition of "gluten free" legally. I wonder if your "Gluten free" beer is also "legally" gluten free" or completely gluten free.

I drink Estrella Daura, label says less than 6 ppm gluten. I have read that Mexican Corona is actually labeled GF. The Corona Extra contains gluten.

DEE777, I really feel for you. If I was going on your cruise my wife and I would definitely bring a 6 pack each for you and hoist one with you. I am not a dietician but I do have Type II diabetes so I do watch my eating and health and no longer require medications to control it. I read in the Wheat Belly cookbook that Bud Light, which apparently is made with rice, is supposed to only have minor traces of barley gluten. Would this be an option for you? Not a big Bud Light fan myself but when I am down south that is usually my beer of choice unless I can find some Moosehead. Wish I could bring a 24pack of Moosehead Ale on board. I will have one for you!

You and your wife are very sweet! Congrats on managing your Type II diabetes medication free!!!! You must be very dedicated :)

I have read that Bud Light Lime is GF so will check further into it, thank you for your suggestion! Thanks for having a Moosehead for me, it's appreciated!

The Op said not having the beer is bs, I'll try to word my sentences more careful.. Why are the gluten people so defensive :confused:

I was just saying not enough people have this issue to warrant carnival stocking and maintaining inventory on the type of beer.. See what I ment to say now?

Unfortunately statistics show that currently 1 in every 133 people have diagnosed Celiac disease. Many many more are undiagnosed or misdiagnosed with IBS or something similar.

Unfortunately statistics show that currently 1 in every 133 people have diagnosed Celiac disease. Many many more are undiagnosed or misdiagnosed with IBS or something similar.

Please share the source.. I have my doubts 1 in 133 people are allergic to yeast.. Otherwise we need to ban yeast.

Please share the source.. I have my doubts 1 in 133 people are allergic to yeast.. Otherwise we need to ban yeast.

Celiac disease is NOT a yeast "allergy".

It is an autoimmune disease. A person with Celiac cannot consume the gluten found in wheat, rye and barley. It has nothing to do with regular yeast.

It is an autoimmune disease. A person with Celiac cannot consume the gluten found in wheat, rye and barley. It has nothing to do with regular yeast.

But 1 in 133..

Careful on how much information you give those that don't have a clue it just might burnout the last few brain cells they have to work with.:rolleyes: That would not get them Faster To The Fun!

Archived