The Calypso

Looks as though The Calypso may avoid the scrap yard and get a new lease of life - http://www.cruiseretirement.com/

The scheme appears to still be in the early stages, and I don't think that anything has officially been signed. However it would be nice to think that she can have one more chapter in a very eventful career.

Not sure I'd like to live on a cruise ship though. How long before the novelty wears off?

Just read the brochure , not keen on the "additional monthly fee's"

As i see it you pay £150,000 as a one off payment then .....

You’ll pay a single Service Fee per month based on your stateroom type, which is utilized for the

following:

 General Insurance on the

cruise ship

 Repairs and maintenance to

the exterior of staterooms,

community areas, facilities

and ships equipment

 Electricity accounts

 Emergency Medical

Assistance

 Stateroom Maintenance &

Repairs

 Internet fees

 A monthly meals fee which

includes all meals

This lot sounds a bit worrying especially the "docking fee's"

There are a couple of things that aren’t included in the monthly Service Fees given that these

vary from month to month.

Residents are responsible for the following additional expenses:

 Personal Telephone accounts

 Contents Insurance on your

stateroom’s contents

(personal belongings)

A portion of the ship’s

docking & Custom’s fees :eek::eek::eek:

 Travel Insurance

 Side-trips to on-shore

destinations

 Beverages / Bar Services

 Separate supplementary

charges apply for al a carte

Restaurant meals

Thnk i'll leave it , looks like its a bit out of my price range :eek:

Hmmm, think this may be pie in the sky........the company is not listed at either Companies house in the UK or Australia (prices quoted are AUD) nor even in the BVI (where I of course register all my companies to bury my stash ;)).....also no company registration number was listed so could this be an elaborate con?

The additional service charge is much like what you would have to pay in any sheltered retirement accommodation that you would buy in the UK for example

Up keep of external fabric of building

Upkeep of internal common parts

Cleaning of common parts

Gardening of communal areas

Communal electricity/utilities

Warden/ consigner costs

Buildings Insurance

Professional Fees

Minor Repairs.............the list of chargeable a goes on, No docking fee though. So if this was for real I would be tempted..... :D...........when I hit that age ofcourse :D :o

Just an update on Calypso. She was sold last week to a ship breaking company in Dubai, and renamed 'Caly'. She is on the move as we speak, presumably to Alang to be scrapped. It appears this time she may not escape the breakers.

Just an update on Calypso. She was sold last week to a ship breaking company in Dubai, and renamed 'Caly'. She is on the move as we speak, presumably to Alang to be scrapped. It appears this time she may not escape the breakers.

That's sad, never sailed on her but heard lots of happy stories :(

Sent from my Galaxy S3 with Tapatalk

Looks as though The Calypso may avoid the scrap yard and get a new lease of life - http://www.cruiseretirement.com/

The scheme appears to still be in the early stages, and I don't think that anything has officially been signed. However it would be nice to think that she can have one more chapter in a very eventful career.

Not sure I'd like to live on a cruise ship though. How long before the novelty wears off?

If you visit the website it must be an elaborate joke. Large amounts of money, fleet with one ship, no ports other than Europe. Who would live their twilight years in such a ship with nothing better than a window view!

Archived