Hertz Car Rental $86 for Corolla--Too Steep?

moondoggie

Just priced this rental for a single day in STM--we are two couples, and figured renting a car at the pier would be more cost effective than cabbing the three places we wanted to go (Maho-Orient-Marigot). But Hertz quoted us $86 plus gas used--seems very high. I emailed Coastal via their website several times and have not received an answer for four days. Any other places you all might recommend? We'd like to pick up at the pier. Thanks!

First, I would say be patient with Coastal. It took them a little while, but they did get back to me after waiting a few days. Second, I couldn't justify that high a price for a rental car, but that's just my opinion. Taxis were readily available at the cruise terminal and at Orient for a return, plus you can arrange for your driver to return at a specific time. Go to taxistmaarten.com if you want to look at rates.

It's been nearly a week, and I've emailed twice. Maybe they are on vacation!

We have been to STM about six times, so the rental makes more sense for us four, as we want to visit several places. Also, my DH sometimes tires easily, so I want to be able to shuttle him back to the ship quickly if necessary.

Please tell me about your Coastal experience--thanks!

Just priced this rental for a single day in STM--we are two couples, and figured renting a car at the pier would be more cost effective than cabbing the three places we wanted to go (Maho-Orient-Marigot). But Hertz quoted us $86 plus gas used--seems very high. I emailed Coastal via their website several times and have not received an answer for four days. Any other places you all might recommend? We'd like to pick up at the pier. Thanks!

That is the going rate for high season. We paid that with 6 ships in port on January 2nd. If you are going in may- dec you should not have to pay that much. We rent a Corolla for a week for $150 or less in the summer.

This code will knock at least 10% off that rate. Definately go the car rental. Cabbing costs add up quick with larger parties of people.

Archived