Norwegian Krone

zales

There's not a lot in that area, because it's mostly residential. There's a simple cafe at the entrance to the Folk Museum around the corner from the Viking ships. It's not terribly exciting, but it's fine for a cup of coffee. There's also a cafe Hemma Hos just off the main road a block south, but I've heard it's expensive (by Norwegian standards).

If you want to go before or after visiting Bygdøy, there are more options near the pier. People & Coffee is a few blocks from the city hall (Rådhusgata 21) and gets good reviews for more than just the free WiFi. Fragrance of the Heart is a cosy little cafe behind the city hall. And in the Aker Brygge waterfront area you can find the local chain Kaffebrenneriet. (Until a few years ago, there were no Starbucks in Oslo. Now there's one. In the airport.)

Many thanks :)

... as for Stavanger I would love to do Pulpit Rock but I would have to find a tour company because I just read somewhere that ships don't tour there

Ships do run tours to Pulpit Rock. The ship itself doesn't sail by, but excursions will go there.

• 2 weeks later...

For our group if you didn't take one of the shore excursions there wasn't much to do. Some people went to the glacier, but I didn't have space for the heavy clothes/boots I thought I would need. I think there is a boat tour on a lake, and the ships usually reserve everything.

We tried to catch a local bus to...? but it was full. We ended up walking around going to a couple of shops, but frankly bored. Seemed like a lot of people were walking around looking for something to do and going back onboard.

Since then I remember reading a post about going hiking there. Maybe you can do a Search on Olden and retrieve that.

• 11 months later...

Do you know if there are cabs in these ports? We booked the Rodne.no tour but in their map it looks like it is a very big walk from the cruise ship...looks like it is across the water. We heard it is a five minute walk but not so sure. Love your photos! What camera and lens do you use?

Do you know if there are cabs in these ports? We booked the Rodne.no tour but in their map it looks like it is a very big walk from the cruise ship...looks like it is across the water. We heard it is a five minute walk but not so sure. Love your photos! What camera and lens do you use?

http://www.stavanger-guide.no/rodnefjordcruise/map.pdf I agree that it looks longer than 5 minutes. I looked at Google maps --they say about 17 minutes.

Edited by Alaskanb

The Rodne Lysefjord tour boat was docked right next to where our ship docked so no walking at all. However, if it was moored on the other side of the water (where I believe you are referring to), it will take no more than a few minutes to walk round. You definitely will not need a cab and Stavanger is an easily walkable town, very nice.

http://www.stavanger-guide.no/rodnefjordcruise/map.pdf I agree that it looks longer than 5 minutes. I looked at Google maps --they say about 17 minutes.

I think we will leave the ship at least an hour before so we have time to get there and we have be there half an hour before anyway. Just hoping it is an easy short walk and no rain.

Now I am looking at the Flam Stalheim View and World Heritage Cruise. Anyone know how far THAt is from the dock? You only get a map after booking so it's hard to know distances. Thanks!

Wow $18:D (100 NOK) seems to be the going rate for a souvenir. Guess I will be shopping for me, and postcards for everyone else:p Thanx this helps because I was going to walk with 500 NOK but I think I will increase it to 1000 NOK:rolleyes:

My daughter and son-in-law lived in Norway for several months. Children's things aren't taxed as high as other things. However, a burger and beer can cost $30.00 to $40.00 CDN. Eat on the ship!