How do you decide?

NoobCruise

Am I the only one who has troulb making up my mind when trying to select a cruise? I've been going back and forth and back and forth on where to go (Alaska? Caribbean? Panama Canal?), which cruise line (HAL, Celebrity, Princess, or Royal Caribbean), and which itinerary (East, west, or southern Caribbean, or Seattle or Vancouver and Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier). Just when I think I've settled on one, DH or I come up with something else. And its back to researching from scratch lol

First World problems, right? lol

Am I the only one who has troulb making up my mind when trying to select a cruise? I've been going back and forth and back and forth on where to go (Alaska? Caribbean? Panama Canal?), which cruise line (HAL, Celebrity, Princess, or Royal Caribbean), and which itinerary (East, west, or southern Caribbean, or Seattle or Vancouver and Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier). Just when I think I've settled on one, DH or I come up with something else. And its back to researching from scratch lol

First World problems, right? lol

Here's an idea. Write each cruise you're considering on separate pieces of paper. Then fold the pieces of paper and put them in a hat or bowl. Close your eyes, reach in, and pick one. Ta-daa! Problem solved.:D

Here's what my wife and I do. We ask ourselves, what if the next cruise we take will be the last one? Then we choose based first on the itinerary, then the cruiseline. So far it has worked well for us.

Cruising is a wonderful way to explore the world and have your hotel and restaurant follow you around. :p

Happy Sailing!

Sometimes it is a matter of careful planning, considering dates, itineraries, type of ship, comparing prices for comparable accommodations on different cruises.

Other times it is an impulse decision. A good deal suddenly shows up on an attractive cruise with an appealing itinerary, and we just decide to go for it.

When we first started out it was more about where we wanted to go and who had the best deal. Now that we've decided that we like Royal Caribbean the best it's about where we HAVEN'T been and which ship we want to sail on.

Less trouble now than when I first started cruising, but yes.

I try to stick to Royal Caribbean because I have a credit card which earns me points toward cruise discounts on that line.

That said, I do shop for itinerary first and would consider taking a different line for the right itinerary. I came very close to booking Celebrity Summit for 2014 because I preferred it's itinerary to the 2013 RCL Radiance Class itinerary. But I liked the 2014 Jewel itinerary and, coupled with the credit card savings, it became my choice for 2014.

If you're still unsure after you've done all your research, flip a coin. Heads Alaska, tails Caribbean (or vice versa). Before you look at the result I bet one preference pops into your head over the other. That said, you can't go wrong either way. Both are terrific.

I've never really had a problem. Our TA booked the first one for us and we were hooked. The next year we booked the same ship for its alternate itinerary. Just after that cruise, friends of ours invited us to cruise Alaska with them. That was our first Celebrity cruise and got us hooked on X besides RCCL. Then we did the S. Carib. I always suggested the itineraries, until after we did the European cruise, again with our friends. On that cruise DH overheard people talking about must-do itineraries of Mexican Riviera and Aust/NZ. So we did those and booked two cruises ahead for 2009. Then he passed away in Aug. 2008. But I did those '09 cruises with other people and have done 7 altogether without him, with another booked for next Jan.

The best thing is to go with your gut and know you will eventually do it all. Life is too short to stop cruising.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib. 1/03 Explorer W. Carib. 8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib. 2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal 6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords

1/07 Mercury Mex. Riv. 1/08 Mercury Aust/NZ 1/09 Galaxy S. Carib.

6/09 Summit Classical Med. 1/11 Summit S. Carib. 6/11 Constellation Scand/Russia

2/12 Summit S. Carib. 8/12 Millenium Alaska cruise/tour 2/13 Summit S. Carib.

1/12 Silhouette W. Carib.

Archived