Please Help Ultimate Beverage Lets Get Fact

Cruisegirl6

I agree no way to make the package cost effective on a port intensive cruise unless you are a real late night partier.

It worked great for the Breakaway transatlantic with no ports. I will buy it again for the 12 day transatlantic on the Star with 1 port but not for the 12 day before with 8 ports.

Edited by time2cruise1

I cannot read through all 17 pagers on this thread.

One Question which will probably determine my decision......

Are Martinis included in the UBP?

And if not, and you are ordering martinis, can you receive a discount if you have the package or must you pay full price for the martini?

Thanks.

Don

I believe elsewhere in this thread they listed what was not included and martinis were not, and no, you can't just pay the difference. I have thought about these packages for my wife & I, but it is just not worth it. I think the price is too high, and coupled with all the rules and restrictions on what you can get, this just doesn't seem worthwhile, unless you are a real heavy drinker. Most nights I'd be fine without an alcoholic drink and nites I'd want some, probably 3 or 4 drinks over the course of the evening is sufficient. Better off to pay per drink. Besides, I also have heard that many of their drinks are weak, as well.

Personally, I think it is poor management on the part of NCL (and other cruise lines). Considering the wholesale prices they probably get the liquor at, they could offer a package like this, at a much more reasonable price, without all the restrictions, and still make a lot of money, and sell a lot more such packages, since the lower price would not deter people who are more moderate or occasional drinkers.

Gotta tell you. This is better than nothing if you're a heavy drinker, but comparatively speaking, it's a lousy plan (IMHO). We have sailed the last three times on Celebrity. Each time, my wife and I got their ultimate package. The regular price is $53 plus 15% gratuity, but about 2 times a year, they have a 10% off sale and you can pre-purchase, making their price about the same as NCL. Celebrity's plan includes all spirits (mixed or straight) that are priced at $12 or less. If you pick something that is priced higher, then they charge you only the difference. I'm a Belvedere Vodka drinker....no problem. Virtually all specialty drinks were priced at $12 or less, so they were included. All coffees (including specialty coffee), sodas, beer (think it had to be $6 or less), wine ($12 or less), as well as bottled water, were included. A much better program than NCL's. Hopefully, NCL will look at their competitors and improve their program. As it stands now, I won't buy it.

I agree....this plan sucks.

Celebrity is so much better!! We did it on the Silhouette two years ago and the specialty coffee were fantastic. Well worth it.

Please NCL....wake up and smell the roses!!

Without the martinis.....it is a bust!!

Don

My wife and I have two martinis each before dinner each night. :)

Losing 24 drinks on my upcoming 12 day cruise negates this plan for me.

Don

I believe if you read more of this thread regular vodka and gin martinis are included but not the flavored ones. I could be wrong but that is what I have read:) cheers!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Like many have said, NCL's UBP has too many rules and restrictions, and is unfair, in that, if you want something that exceeds the certain related values, you should just have to pay the difference.

I tried to find the link to the actual latest info at NCL and could not.

I wonder if there is anyway, and this would be helpful, to have a Sticky Thread at the top of this Norwegian Cruise Line sub-forum that would contain often requested, important links directly to NCL's site, such as the info on the UBP, also the Soda Package. a link that details the different levels of Latitude membership and what that provides, a direct link to email NCL Customer Relations, and any other info member feel ought to be in such a Sticky Thread.

Edited by QuiGonJohn

UBP is without a doubt, NOT worth it. We has purchased it when cruising Celebrity and had a great experience so we figured we'd go with the same sort of package on NCL.

It was the biggest waste of money. So much stuff is not covered. Most cruise lines will just make you cover the difference on things not covered (if the limit is $8.50 a cocktail, and you want one that is $8.75, you pay only $.25) but NCL charges you the full 8.75.

There was even a day when I ordered the drink of the day, the bartender made it, and when he saw I was on the UBP, he said "OH, you are on the UBP?" and got a smaller glass and poured half of the drink he had just made into the glass.

Very frustrating overall.

There was even a day when I ordered the drink of the day, the bartender made it, and when he saw I was on the UBP, he said "OH, you are on the UBP?" and got a smaller glass and poured half of the drink he had just made into the glass.

That is absurd. So the same drink, if you are on the UBP, they give you a much smaller, (half), one. Just one more reason not to waste my money on this. I'd rather drink a less alcohol in a day, than I otherwise might, buy a few drinks per glass, and not feel like I am getting ripped off.

Having had the UBP on the Epic we have mixed feelings on it

I had my moneys worth my wife did not overall we probably broke even

My wife said she felt she was drinking virgin cocktails towards the end of the cruise just for the sake of it to make the most of the package

No problem with small glasses the same as everyone else we just had to pay for one full priced drink each in the souvenir glass

We did not drink a lot of alcohol but we did try a lot of virgin cocktails as we had planned to stay on in some ports with only half days in others

For a port intensive cruise we would not purchase it

It was nice knowing we could try different cocktails and concoctions without worrying about the bill at the end of the week

We prepaid & the sticker was on our cards when we got them at the pier. We were able to go straight to the bar when we boarded..............;)

Most useful comment on this whole thread!!! Thank you!!!

After reading through this thread I determined the worst part about the UBP would be standing in line to buy it for 30 minutes listening to the people in front of you asking the same what if questions over and over and over again. Even the article on cruise critic that compares all the cruise lines’ drink packages answers 95% of questions that have been asked here (in duplicate).

Of course I’m sure you deal with that at the bars throughout cruise.

On the first page someone linked a NCL PDF that lists all NCL carried liquor and beer and what is highlighted in yellow is included on the UBP. What you are NOT able to order on the UBP is very minimal. If your tastes are that refined to where you HAVE to drink those brands then you are used to paying big $ for drinks anyway, so just pay by the glass.

Thank all of you for your actual stories of using the UBP, very helpful!

Not worth it for you maybe, but lots of people find that it is worth it for them.

The reason I say "without a doubt not worth it" is how limiting it is. I'm sure if there are people who only drink budweiser or bottom shelf cocktails, it's more than worth it.

That's what was so disappointing about it - other cruise lines beverage packages all are FAR LESS limiting.

I'm also not alone I found out. Out of a boat with approximtely 4500 people on it, only 4 cabins purchased the UBP. My cabin and my buddies were 2 of those. We were naive.. now we know better.

On the first page someone linked a NCL PDF that lists all NCL carried liquor and beer and what is highlighted in yellow is included on the UBP. What you are NOT able to order on the UBP is very minimal. If your tastes are that refined to where you HAVE to drink those brands then you are used to paying big $ for drinks anyway, so just pay by the glass.

We felt the same way which is why we purchased the UBP. I'd say of everything on the boat, you only had access to about 20% of the available beverages with UBP.

Maybe I've just been spoiled with Celebrity's drink package which literally covers everything on the boat. :)

The reason I say "without a doubt not worth it" is how limiting it is. I'm sure if there are people who only drink budweiser or bottom shelf cocktails, it's more than worth it.

That's what was so disappointing about it - other cruise lines beverage packages all are FAR LESS limiting.

I'm also not alone I found out. Out of a boat with approximtely 4500 people on it, only 4 cabins purchased the UBP. My cabin and my buddies were 2 of those. We were naive.. now we know better.

Please look at the attached PDF on first page of this thread then honestly come back and try to explain how it limits your alcohol selection. To stick with your beer analogy, much more then BUD my friend. NCL carries approximately 37 beers and ONLY 9 are EXCLUDED. Also well over 80% of on board liquor is included most of that is NOT “bottom” shelf! Just one quick example, sure Grey Goose is NOT included but Kettle and Van Gogh are, equal (if not better) quality vodkas. They just aren’t as poplar with rappers. Wild Turkey 101, Dewers 12yr,Goslings black seal, Bacardi 8, the Kraken are ALL INCLUDED. Definitely not “bottom” shelf.

Not limiting and if it is then the entire inventory, UBP or not, is limiting.

Please look at the attached PDF on first page of this thread then honestly come back and try to explain how it limits your alcohol selection. To stick with your beer analogy, much more then BUD my friend. NCL carries approximately 37 beers and ONLY 9 are EXCLUDED. Also well over 80% of on board liquor is included most of that is NOT “bottom” shelf! Just one quick example, sure Grey Goose is NOT included but Kettle and Van Gogh are, equal (if not better) quality vodkas. They just aren’t as poplar with rappers. Wild Turkey 101, Dewers 12yr,Goslings black seal, Bacardi 8, the Kraken are ALL INCLUDED. Definitely not “bottom” shelf.

The only limited factor is not the brands offered but how you can have them. Martinis are excluded for the most part. I was able to work around it and ordered Ketel up. They charged the UBP for 2 Ketels since martinis are a double that kept their inventory correct. You want a Cosmo with Ketel Citron not going to happen. The plan worked well since we were on a TA with no ports. Can't see how it would pay for itself on a port intensive itinerary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Okay, just got off the Dawn a couple of weeks ago. Purchased UBP and was definately worth it! I did not find it all limited. Was able to have mimosa's in the morning, beer early afternoon, wine with dinner and martini, if I wanted later in the evening. Of the seven of us who purchased it I heard no complaints.

I'm just speaking from my actual experience, not what a PDF says. And to be fair, from what others have recently said, it sounds like people's experiences may vary.

I ordered a white russian - not on the UBP I was told. I didn't specify what type of vodka or anything. As far as I know, a white russian is vodka, Kuala, a milk. Nothing crazy.

My main point is that my experience with the UBP and what the PDF say are completely different.

Edited by xbigdanx

Well that is disappointing, it sounds like they have a staff training issue that creates variances in experience. I guess they stick strongly to that “one liquor” in a drink rule. I enjoy a white Russian later at night too; I guess I’ll just substitute Bailey’s on the rocks.

So I've read over most of this thread and still have a question. I am a scotch/whiskey drinker and usually prefer my drinks neat. Can I get them like this on the UBP?? I can see them trying to slow drinkers down by requiring a mixer or so dumb rule like that. Also, can I get shots? I like to have a shot or three to start my evenings sometimes. I see there are a lot of scotch and whiskey options listed on the "approved" list, but wanted to know if anyone has had real life experience ordering these neat or in shots???

Okay, just got off the Dawn a couple of weeks ago. Purchased UBP and was definately worth it! I did not find it all limited. Was able to have mimosa's in the morning, beer early afternoon, wine with dinner and martini, if I wanted later in the evening. Of the seven of us who purchased it I heard no complaints.

Nice to hear from someone who actually enjoyed having the UBP. However, I have a question :confused:, if you were to price each drink you had each day, would it have totalled $50/day. And were you travelling solo? If so, I could certainly see where it would be worth it for you. The problem many have is that, one person enjoys a drink or 2 or 3 ... whatever.. the other person is either a non drinker or limits themselves to only one or two so would it still have been worth then? :o

Nice to hear from someone who actually enjoyed having the UBP. However, I have a question :confused:, if you were to price each drink you had each day, would it have totalled $50/day. And were you travelling solo? If so, I could certainly see where it would be worth it for you. The problem many have is that, one person enjoys a drink or 2 or 3 ... whatever.. the other person is either a non drinker or limits themselves to only one or two so would it still have been worth then? :o

If either is just having 2 or 3 or whatever the package is a waste of money. A couple bloody Mary's with breakfast,2 $ 9.50 wine with lunch that comes to $11 plus with tip at lunch, cocktails before dinner, a couple glasses of wine with dinner, and an after dinner cocktail and you are just in the black.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim