Ugh! 6 Ships -- Can't Walk and NEED a Nice Beach!

Sauer-kraut

So I'm sitting here surrounded by 10 inches of snow, just booked a big ship and Phillipsburg will have 5 other ships berthed the same day. I checked the shorex and am not thrilled that they only offer a trip to Orient Beach.

How difficult is it to get a return taxi from Anse Marcel beach? I don't need a lounger, can bring trail mix with me in case of hunger but I do need trees for shade. I was at a beach in St. Matrin several years ago, but somehow I think we were at a resort. We didn't pay for a chair but there were no other amenities that I saw, just an almost deserted beach. (It could be that we were the only ship in that day too....)

I am also not really supposed to walk too much So....would Anse Marcel fit the bill? I'm leaving Friday. :eek:

Anse Marcel is not the beach you are searching for.

A taxi would cost you about $30 - $35 each way. Taxis may not be waiting for your return, but there are two resorts there and they should be able to call one for you, but allow extra time.

I haven't been over there for years (pre-demolition and reconstruction of the resorts), but my recollection is that it's a couple hundred yards from any taxi drop out to the beach proper, and I don't think that there is much natural shade -- think rent an umbrella or sit at the bar/restaurant.

I'd recommend you take a look at le Galion. Much cheaper taxi, lots of natural shade, bar restaurant available if you wish and the beach is just steps from where a taxi can drop you.

th_DSCN3348.jpg

(click)

gary

p.s. karysa -- please chime in here

Thanks Gary,

lovely photos, I suppose that will be just fine. Love all the shade! I wasn't sure if this would be good because of all the ships, but if I know I can get a taxi easily that makes it the choice.

Should I bother bringing my snorkle mask to this beach? Does one have to rent a lounge? Can I just spread out my beach mat and not be pestered? Are there pushy vendors walking the beach?

I wish I could remember where we were back in 1998....that was beautiful.

I wouldn't bother with snorkeling, but some have commented about doing so at the rocks to the left, far end of the beach.

You don't have to rent a lounger, there is lots of open space.

No pushy vendors in our experience.

I see that you're on the EPIC. We just returned. Great ship and Loved O'sheehan's. I just posted menus here.

gary

Anse Marcel is not the beach you are searching for.

A taxi would cost you about $30 - $35 each way. Taxis may not be waiting for your return, but there are two resorts there and they should be able to call one for you, but allow extra time.

I haven't been over there for years (pre-demolition and reconstruction of the resorts), but my recollection is that it's a couple hundred yards from any taxi drop out to the beach proper, and I don't think that there is much natural shade -- think rent an umbrella or sit at the bar/restaurant.

I'd recommend you take a look at le Galion. Much cheaper taxi, lots of natural shade, bar restaurant available if you wish and the beach is just steps from where a taxi can drop you.

th_DSCN3348.jpg

(click)

gary

p.s. karysa -- please chime in here

Hi Gary,

I have recommended this beach to someone with a family member in a wheelchair before because there is a hard dirt path and also a cement walkway through the leDomain Resort. I agree that it would be too long for someone who has issues walking. I do like tis beach though. It did look like something was going to be built by the Grand Case end of the beach though. If its another resort I think that this beach will be too crowded. It's not that big and it already has 2 resorts and condos, plus the small resorts and villas up on the hill above.

I love Le Gallion and with 6 ships in on January 2nd it just had a nice amount of people on it. My only concern for the OP here is the taxi not returning for him. For most people this would not be a problem as they could walk the 300 or so yards to the main road and flag a taxi down that is coming or going from Orient. Otherwise, I agree that this is the best choice for this cruiser. With 6 ships in port I am not so sure that I would trust a driver to come and pick me up at a set time. The taxis are going to be very busy and although the road leading to LeGalion was better this trip I am just not sure that the taxi drivers will bother to go in to stop and pick up a fare when they can zip to Orient and pick-up a full load. Beach wise I think that this is the best choice for what he OP is looking for though.

I have no great alternative though? Perhaps Petite Plage, what about Calmos Cafe. No natural shade but These Grand Case beaches might work. Little Bay?

I think OP would prefer Le Galion though. :confused:

Karysa,

Thanks for chiming in! :)

I can manage about 300 yards, I'm not on crutches but rather have a removable cast. I just shouldn't be walking a lot and after sitting/swimming most of the time I should be able to make it. I will see what my chances are when I get in to port.

Thanks for all the suggestions! At least I have a better idea of what is out there. One usually only hears of Maho and Orient.

Karysa,

Thanks for chiming in! :)

I can manage about 300 yards, I'm not on crutches but rather have a removable cast. I just shouldn't be walking a lot and after sitting/swimming most of the time I should be able to make it. I will see what my chances are when I get in to port.

Thanks for all the suggestions! At least I have a better idea of what is out there. One usually only hears of Maho and Orient.

I just wouldn't want to see you stranded but if you could walk 300 yards on the odd chance that your driver doesn't show then I would not hesitate recommending Le Galion. There is a restaurant where you could ask if they could call a taxi for you if it's needed.

Le Galion is known as baby beach and it is calm and very shallow and since you need to be careful with your leg there really is no better beach on the island for you. Have fun!:)

Thanks! not really worried once I get in the water, but since its almost a zero depth beach I will definitely not bring the snorkel mask.

Just curious, have you discussed this on your roll call?

Just curious, have you discussed this on your roll call?

No, as I only booked on Monday and I leave tomorrow. I will ask if others are going to Le Galion and we can ride share. I thought that all the other posters had probably hooked up with ideas before I even knew I was going on a cruise. :)

No, as I only booked on Monday and I leave tomorrow. I will ask if others are going to Le Galion and we can ride share. I thought that all the other posters had probably hooked up with ideas before I even knew I was going on a cruise. :)

Please join our roll call - last minute cruisers are always welcome!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1748711

• 3 weeks later...

Back again!

I just wanted to say that even after all your wonderful help I didn't get off the ship. I walked down to the little shops at the end of the pier and that was enough for me. I did, however, purchase a spa pass for the week and spent all my excursion money and time enjoying the amenities on board.

I did manage to offer a mother some advice about "Baby Beach" so your information wasn't lost to the ether. I don't know if she did get out there or not. :)

Back again!

I just wanted to say that even after all your wonderful help I didn't get off the ship. I walked down to the little shops at the end of the pier and that was enough for me. I did, however, purchase a spa pass for the week and spent all my excursion money and time enjoying the amenities on board.

I did manage to offer a mother some advice about "Baby Beach" so your information wasn't lost to the ether. I don't know if she did get out there or not. :)

Nice that you passed on Le Galion to a mom. I hope that she went with her little one. It is the perfect beach for small children.

Purchasing the Spa Pass was a smart idea given your mobility issues. At least in St. Maarten there are shops that can be visited without too much walking. :)

Archived