Getting nervous here...

VallyD

VAL,

You will love your cruise if you put effort into planning it and you have.

I have been on the Eurodam 4 times and would happily go tomorrow if I could.

What we do to enhance our cruise:

Like I said before, try and snag a cabana, (best money we ever spend, EVER) get to Water Island if you can, (St Thomas) request a table for 2 on embarkation day right when you get on in the MDR, and try and catch a suite upsell. Bring some good wine, and enjoy yourself. Some people even order liquor (very good pricing, I just got a 1 liter bottle of malibu for $30).

VAL,

You will love your cruise if you put effort into planning it and you have.

I have been on the Eurodam 4 times and would happily go tomorrow if I could.

What we do to enhance our cruise:

Like I said before, try and snag a cabana, (best money we ever spend, EVER) get to Water Island if you can, (St Thomas) request a table for 2 on embarkation day right when you get on in the MDR, and try and catch a suite upsell. Bring some good wine, and enjoy yourself. Some people even order liquor (very good pricing, I just got a 1 liter bottle of malibu for $30).

Okay this whole dang Cabana thing has got me confused lol. Is the Cabana on the ship? A port? I've looked all over the HAL site and I kind find anything about it lmbo!

Okay this whole dang Cabana thing has got me confused lol. Is the Cabana on the ship? A port? I've looked all over the HAL site and I kind find anything about it lmbo!

There are cabanas on one side of the Lido pool on the Eurodam. There are more one deck above in the retreat area. They are rented by the week but if there are any unrented when you sail they will rent them by the day.

When we rented our NA cabana it was arranged by our TA when we booked our cruise. I believe we paid $299 per week.

Good question actually. Since not all ships have them, they are new to a lot of us too.

Here is how to learn more: Take a look at the HAL website entry for the "Our Ships" and select the Eurodam.

Click on "deck plan" for the Eurodam. Then go to the very top deck and look at the back of this deck on the deck plan where it will identify the "cabanas". This also provides a 360 video link to view the cabanas. Those who have enjoyed them can tell you more about the extras besides the private location that they offer during your cruise.

Keep in mind, you would be using these mainly on sea days, or ports you don't want to visit, or ones where you have more day time left to get back to the ship. And when the weather draws you outside.

VallyD:

I generally don't post on any thread to do with smoking. I felt I had to set your mind at ease. We both smoke. We have 495 days on HAL ships. We have never had any nasty comments about our smoking onboard only on the website.

You will find some people dressed to the nines on formal night and some just squeaking by with black pants and somewhat dressy top. Don't worry about others enjoy wearing what you both choose and have a wonderful time enjoying each other.

If you have a balcony you have the right to smoke when out on it. We chose a balcony for our last cruise due to HAL's change in smoking policies. We did have a neighbor on one side who fake coughed. I know it was fake because she did it every time we were out even when we weren't smoking. (sigh). Nothing you can do about that type but grin and bear it.

Hope you have a wonderful honeymoon and that you like it so much you will both plan your 25th anniversary on a HAL cruise.

VallyD:

You will find some people dressed to the nines on formal night and some just squeaking by with black pants and somewhat dressy top.

Wow, I didn't know I was just "squeaking by" by wearing dressy black pants and a dressy/cocktail-type top, nice shoes and jewelry. I have done this on other cruises including the last HAL cruise and I didn't feel I looked out of place in the MDR. Please tell me if I am wrong :confused: ..... I try to achieve the "simple but elegant" look. With the luggage restrictions on the airlines, and other considerations, we don't bring more than one large suitcase for each of us, so taking a gown is not possible. My DH wears a dark suit or dark blazer and grey slacks, shirt and tie. Now Vally D is not the only one who is nervous.........I am too. Perhaps I am not "following the rules" properly despite having travelled extensively on land and sea.......(??)

Actually with todays fabrics, it is very easy to pack a wonderful formal "gown" and still keep one's luggage limits intact. But it sounds like your dressy outfit is just fine since you know it has worked for you in the past.

Actually with todays fabrics, it is very easy to pack a wonderful formal "gown" and still keep one's luggage limits intact. But it sounds like your dressy outfit is just fine since you know it has worked for you in the past.

Thanks SwissMyst.....at least someone replied to make me feel a little better about it!

PS Switzerland is one of the most beautiful countries I have ever seen!:)

Thanks... And I love your cabin photos page... Been studying it real hard lately...Thanks alot! Hope to add to it soon... Ill just email you the photos..and a brief description?

Thank you:) I do have to update it with tons of photos I've received over the past few weeks (been delayed because I cannot sit at the computer for long and cannot see what I'm doing on either my Net Book or Tablet.)

Just email me 2 photos per email, original size, along with Ship Name, Stateroom #, Date of Cruise and your description, good or bad:)

Time to read other threads and back out of this chair

Joanie

I think you should forget the negativity of this board. There's a wealth of info shared here, so read and take what you can from it. Ignore the smoking threads, the dress code threads, and the cutback threads. Don't even open them because they always turn nasty and after having read one or two, you aren't likely to learn anything new anway.

You'll have a great time on your cruise! And while it may not be "perfect" (what vacation ever is?) HAL offers a fantastic experience. It is unlikely you will meet any of the negative nellies on your cruise. We didn't. The service was fantastic. The other pax were great! We saw no snobs and no slobs. And do you really care if they have fewer flowers than 5 years ago, or they served whipped cream cheese instead of block?

As far as smoking on your balcony, HAL allows it, so you have the right. There are other cruise lines that do not allow smoking on their balconies so they have options.. I have asthma and it is triggered by cigarette smoke, but I think if you show a little consideration to your neighbors, you can get along without anyone flaming you. if I were on my balcony and my neighbor came out to smoke, I would appreciate a freindly warning, like "Hi! I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to have a cigarette. It will only take 5 minutes or so and I'll be done." That would give me a chance to run inside for a few so I can avoid an asthma attack. IMO the biggest smoking complaint here are chain smokers who spend the entire cruise on their balcony.

Enjoy your cruise :)

Wish I could do several thumbs up to this post, but hope a few smiles will do the trick!! Awesome Post:):):)

Joanie

Well all I got out of the live chat was that yes, msEurodam does have cabanas. Sent an email to Guest Services, I'll let ya'll know what I find out :)

If you follow the 2 links below you can not only see photos of both the Lido Midship Cabanas and the Retreat Cabana Club Cabanas and the amenities and pricing:

http://abqreunion2008.com/Eurodam/Lido-Midship-Pool-Cabanas.html

http://abqreunion2008.com/Eurodam/Cabana-Club.html

EDITED TO ADD For Val and others who are worried about Formal Nights: We, hubby and I are a mixed couple... Mean that in a Dress sense for Formal nights, when I can do them.

Hubby dresses to the Nines in a Tux, me, I dress as Kakalina does in either nice dress slacks or skirt and somewhat dressy top. I am on a cruise and respect others and even admire those going by me dressed as Hubby in Tux and Ladies in nice dresses or similar formal wear, but for me...not my style:) I like comfort and have never ever been looked down upon for my clothing while on a HAL ship.

I do not feel that what was said by kakalina was meant in any type of derogatory way, but to let you know that dressed semi formal, formal or Coctail dressy is perfectly acceptable:)

Joanie

Don't worry about the smokers. For all you know, you might have smokers on either side of you and then you have spent time worrying for nothing.

I think a joint might be a great idea for some posters in the smoking debate. Chill out..... :cool:

Dh and I don't smoke cigarettes and good pot is illegal to take on cruise ships and a lot of medical marijauna is actually in pill form so there won't be a smell to it. The smell is actually quite nice. :D

So if you have a baby nine months after the cruise, will you name it Hal? ;)

Wow, I didn't know I was just "squeaking by" by wearing dressy black pants and a dressy/cocktail-type top, nice shoes and jewelry. I have done this on other cruises including the last HAL cruise and I didn't feel I looked out of place in the MDR. Please tell me if I am wrong :confused: ..... I try to achieve the "simple but elegant" look. With the luggage restrictions on the airlines, and other considerations, we don't bring more than one large suitcase for each of us, so taking a gown is not possible. My DH wears a dark suit or dark blazer and grey slacks, shirt and tie. Now Vally D is not the only one who is nervous.........I am too. Perhaps I am not "following the rules" properly despite having travelled extensively on land and sea.......(??)

I think Kakalina was referring to those who wore blank pants and a 'non tshirt'. She was not referring to the fancy pants and sparkly tops that many people wear. I've worn palazzo pants and a sequined top -- definitely not 'squeaking by'.

I think Kakalina was referring to those who wore blank pants and a 'non tshirt'. She was not referring to the fancy pants and sparkly tops that many people wear. I've worn palazzo pants and a sequined top -- definitely not 'squeaking by'.

EDITED TO ADD For Val and others who are worried about Formal Nights: We, hubby and I are a mixed couple... Mean that in a Dress sense for Formal nights, when I can do them.

Hubby dresses to the Nines in a Tux, me, I dress as Kakalina does in either nice dress slacks or skirt and somewhat dressy top. I am on a cruise and respect others and even admire those going by me dressed as Hubby in Tux and Ladies in nice dresses or similar formal wear, but for me...not my style:) I like comfort and have never ever been looked down upon for my clothing while on a HAL ship.

I do not feel that what was said by kakalina was meant in any type of derogatory way, but to let you know that dressed semi formal, formal or Coctail dressy is perfectly acceptable:)

Thanks to both of you for your reassurance. I thought I was being perfectly acceptable and within customary guidelines, but I was beginning to wonder if I was off-base. I feel better now! :D

VallyD:

I generally don't post on any thread to do with smoking. I felt I had to set your mind at ease. We both smoke. We have 495 days on HAL ships. We have never had any nasty comments about our smoking onboard only on the website.

You will find some people dressed to the nines on formal night and some just squeaking by with black pants and somewhat dressy top. Don't worry about others enjoy wearing what you both choose and have a wonderful time enjoying each other.

If you have a balcony you have the right to smoke when out on it. We chose a balcony for our last cruise due to HAL's change in smoking policies. We did have a neighbor on one side who fake coughed. I know it was fake because she did it every time we were out even when we weren't smoking. (sigh). Nothing you can do about that type but grin and bear it.

Hope you have a wonderful honeymoon and that you like it so much you will both plan your 25th anniversary on a HAL cruise.

Just a gentle suggestion but perhaps the person that coughed when you were not smoking really had a cough? Maybe she had a cold and her cough was not necessarily ONLY due to cigarettes bothering her? Is that possible?

I've had cold and cough and no one around me smoking but I've been coughing. Were I to be exposed to smoke, I am sure that would also make me cough.

Your points are all valid- they are YOUR points, after all.

I have three lives: my regular life, my cruising life, and separate and apart from both, my Cruisecritic life. On CC the infinitesimal is magnified, children are treated like vermin, complainers are drawn and quartered, people who like formal wear are accused of being obsessed with what others wear and people who favor a more relaxed dress are called slobs. On and on. Say one thing and the opposite comes out.

But never more so than with the smoking threads. Non smokers have the weight of a) the universe and b) rational behavior and c) medical advice on their side. Smokers are an island. What can you say? But in truth many cruisers smoke. They smoke on the port side and non smokers know not to go over there if they don't want to smell smoke. When I smoked no one ever looked askance at me and if they did I wouldn't have cared. So don't worry. Just go where you're allowed to smoke and don't worry. At the same time, eventually on CC someone is gong to say "why don't you quit spending $10 a day to get cancer and heart disease, and by the way, the smell is god awful" because it's true. I mean, it IS true. Not a slam. So just ignore it.

There are some very old people on HAL but there are also a lot of young people, kids- everything.

I like CC but you could gather any group of people- people at a bus stop in downtown Detroit even- and they would resemble actual cruisers I have interacted with more than the people on CC. I have always assumed they are so crabby because they aren't cruising. There isn't one old timer on here I haven't seen smacked down by others. It's a shame, really. And god knows I've been scorched and I'm probably going to get slammed for this post.

I was speaking of those who wear black stretch pants and a K-mart blouse. Not nicely dressed slacks and a truly dressy blouse. I should have been more clear. My apologies. :o

Just a gentle suggestion but perhaps the person that coughed when you were not smoking really had a cough? Maybe she had a cold and her cough was not necessarily ONLY due to cigarettes bothering her? Is that possible?

I've had cold and cough and no one around me smoking but I've been coughing. Were I to be exposed to smoke, I am sure that would also make me cough.

Had we heard the woman cough at any other time I would agree with you. However, she didn't. She may have had allergies or something that bothered her when out of doors to give the benefit of the doubt Judy.:D

Had we heard the woman cough at any other time I would agree with you. However, she didn't. She may have had allergies or something that bothered her when out of doors to give the benefit of the doubt Judy.:D

You said that she "fake" coughed whether you smoked or not. What other time was there? I wonder how only smokers are able the detect "fake" coughs.

I cough because I have acid reflux. As soon as I take a Pepcid, the coughing stops.

But I also cough when I get choked up by someone's perfume. My eyes water too.

Are you sure it isn't one of those "fake" coughs;):D. I cough from my meds. I wonder if I'm being accused by smokers of having a "fake" cough.

I think you will enjoy your cruise with HAL as we did and we are in our mid to late 30's. DW and I went on our 1st ever cruise with HAL last April on the Noordam and never had any issues with me smoking on the veranda. There are several other locations on the ship that you are allowed to smoke as well and I did in those areas and no one ever said a word about it. The only tip I can add is to take an ashtray with you packed in your luggage. Since the staterooms are a non smoking area they don't have them in the rooms. I never bothered to look for an extra ashtray around the ship since I took one with me. Our stateroom attendants always made sure that is was empty and clean for me since I let them know that I was smoking on the veranda. I just put a book over top of the ashtray after making sure the smoke was out to ensure that the ashes and butts didn't blow away when not out on the veranda.

Enjoy your honeymoon!!!:)

Actually I had a long explanation about the fake cougher on the balcony next to ours, but I deleted it before I hit send.

Long story short... every time she stepped out onto her balcony, she would make this little, "k" sound repeatedly. My dh and I don't smoke cigarettes. There was no reason to cough because one or both of us were out there. BUT she reeked of perfume and stunk us out every day before dinner.

Archived