Cabin Door Decorations

Ok, so I know this topic has been discussed a lot all throughout the boards here on cruise critic, but I wanted to get some new information.

I have sailed a few times but NEVER decorated our cabin door. This time though, I'm seriously considering it after reading and seeing all the photos of decorated cabin doors. I personally love seeing them on the cruises I have been on. I'm just curious....what are some of your cabin door decorating theme's and ideas. Where do you get your decorations? Are they magnets or do you tape/stick them on by other means?

Feel free to share your cabin door pictures!

Ok, so I know this topic has been discussed a lot all throughout the boards here on cruise critic, but I wanted to get some new information.

I have sailed a few times but NEVER decorated our cabin door. This time though, I'm seriously considering it after reading and seeing all the photos of decorated cabin doors. I personally love seeing them on the cruises I have been on. I'm just curious....what are some of your cabin door decorating theme's and ideas. Where do you get your decorations? Are they magnets or do you tape/stick them on by other means?

Feel free to share your cabin door pictures!

use magnets, that way, no damage is done.

We put up a door sign with a magnet last cruise (Cruise Critic sign). The sign and the magnet were taken, as were multiple 'do not disturb' cards on the hallway. From the running feet we heard, suspect it was kids. Steward said he received multiple complaints from folks on our hall, but never did find the culprit(s).

So, decorate away-just know that sometimes 'stuff happens'.

We have the RCL anniversary decorations on the door, as well as the decorations inside the cabin. It was very nice. I guess no one was interested in 'taking' them because everyone was so concerned about Superstorm Sandy during our sailing...never again :(

Don't mind me... I am just subscribing so I get to see this thread when the crying starts!

/me pulls up a seat and a bag of popcorn

I'm sorry...crying? Really? Not sure what you are expecting.

When we decorate our door we expect some magnets to be "taken". We did a pirate theme one cruise when we had 4 cabins. I decorated all 4 doors with pirate stuff I bought at Party City and then I printed off pages with our pirate names. I also put up a sheet protector on each door and left goodies in them each day. No thieves that time on any of the doors. Another cruise I just put up a page protector and then put in pics from the cruise for example the kids went parasailing and we bought the pic and put on the door. Then when we bought pics from the cruise photographers we would put those in. One day I didnt put anything out and our room stewards were disappointed and wanted to know why I stopped (ran out of new pics). Have fun with it. :D

On our cruise in Feb., I printed a 50th anniversary sign and put it up using painters tape. It made a nice frame. Also had magnetic hearts around door.

Only once did I have a magnet taken a couple years ago. apparently they needed it more than we did. :rolleyes:

Edited by retiredgram

Is it more common to have the decorations taken or less common?:confused:

I think it depends on the length of the cruise and time of year.

Longer cruise, less kids. Summer, more kids. Although, I have seen some grown "kids" take the room service tickets. They were a little intoxicated.

I bought some St. Patrick's day fridge magnets at the Dollar store. 1) so our kids could tell which room was ours, and not go knocking on someone else's! 2) the day we get off the ship is St. Patty's Day 3) Our last name is Murphey

:D

If they are stolen - they were $2 in total. No biggie.

I'm sorry...crying? Really? Not sure what you are expecting.

The part where the ending "Lonely Man" theme from the Hulk show plays, someone tells the story about how their great-grandmother made their door decorations from the tears of children in concentration camps and spun them into hope, dreams, and magic. How these decorations had been appraised at ten thousand dollars each, how they had been put on every door for the last 45 cruises they had been on, how these decorations actually cured the common cold, how children with debilitating illnesses would come to touch them and walk again, how the captain himself came down and thanked them for decorating their door...

and then someone came in the night and stole them! This ruined their cruise and made them loose faith in the whole of humanity! This one event shaped them into a hardened lump of coal and they will forever more be cursed to tell this tale as a way to warn others about the evils of mass market cruising. They will talk of the "good ol' days" when men wore tuxes to the pool and women never even wore white underwear after Labor Day! How a man with a hat on would be scolded to tears with just a glance from the ship's crew, how children sat awake at night fearing the Decorations Demon would steal their soul if they even THOUGHT about touching a door decoration, how cruising was for the Rothschilds, the Gettys, the Rockefellers, and them.

Read some of the old threads.

I suggest using the putty teachers use to attach posters to concrete walls. If your door happens to have a wormtail decoration, a magnet might not attach well . . . But putty will adhere to a door whether it has any texture or not.