Dream review posted

For those of you that can't wait for the moderation:

We travelled from Manchester 17th Feb 2013 for 2 weeks. The flight to Barbados was good, just 8.30 hours there and a little shorter coming back.

I will concentrate mainly on reviewing the ship itself rather than the cruise ports, will post my info on the ports on the Thomson forum.

The ship is looking slightly better than last time we cruised on her in July 2012, the “platinum” upgrade has made some improvements but it is nothing more than what I would call routine maintenance. New carpets in some areas, flat screen TV’s in the cabins that make them feel bigger than before, tea and coffee making facilities in the cabins, etc.

I did notice that the Grill restaurant has moved to the opposite wing of the Sirens restaurant. The canopy over the lido deck makes a good addition, along with an improved burger cooking station and a hot plate serving area where they just used to put tables of food out before. The furniture out here has been improved greatly, nice wicker chairs that the staff supplies with cushions around 5pm.

We enjoyed the itinerary, having been to all but 3 of the islands before we mainly did our own thing getting local buses etc, more detail on the forum when I get around to it. The weather was great, and the sea quite calm, the captain said some nights were force 8 but it didn’t feel that bad to us. We had cabin 6110, and on the first week we found it to have a few rattles when sailing to the north of Barbados, but as we sailed south and west to the latin islands it rattled a lot less, maybe something to do with the prevailing sea conditions?

The food was generally excellent; we ate in the Orion restaurant every evening and were waited on with impeccable service from Manny and Larry, with good service from Kurt the wine waiter too. The salads are great if you like lettuce and you can always find a main meal served with some kind of Spinach.... We ate Breakfast and Lunch in the Sirens as we prefer the atmosphere over the Lido, the only issue I had was the mushrooms were like rubber at breakfast, they were clearly tinned. I would think they would be hard pushed to find fresh ones in the Caribbean.

If you like Weetabix but they are not out on display ask for them, they keep them out of sight on some days. I asked if they were running out and was told not, they just kept them hidden for control purposes, sounds like they are running out to me....

They also serve at the buffet lines on the first day after embarkation, this slows the line down, but they do this as a control measure against norovirus. The days after that you can serve yourself.

The main reason that anyone would want to go on a Thomson cruise is of course the staff. They are wonderful. Everyone has a smile for you, and we liked the fact that many of the crew recognised us from our cruise last July.

Manny remembered we had a scoop of ice cream to go with our desserts, Ruffino still knew our order of G&T’s before Dinner.

There are too many to name that we now think of as friends.

The Crew show was brilliant, Ruffino doing his magic, Crew Cuts with the great dancing, Daniel just transferred off the Celebration signing My Way, and of course the wonderful Hazel, what a voice.

Something not to miss on the sea day is the cocktail flaring at the Sirens pool, Lorenzo and Ruffino are brilliant.

The entertainment was almost normal Thomson standard, the shows were good but not quite as good as last July, (can’t put my finger on just why, maybe because we have seen most of them before) and certainly not as good as the shows on the Celebration.

We were disappointed to miss Darren’s only singing spot as it really wasn’t well publicised and in the middle of the day as well, we saw him on the Celebration last time, what a great voice.

Top Men were excellent as always, one of my friends on the same cruise said she didn’t think they got the people up dancing enough, but I think it’s just the type of audience in the Caribbean, there seems to be more atmosphere on the Med and Red Sea cruises in general.

The atmosphere on the deck party nights was good though, with loads up dancing.

We like the Dream and would sail on her again, however we find the Celebration a cosier ship and the crew are just as friendly, I would be hard pushed to say which our favourite is.

Thanks for that joe. :) So pleased you had a good experience again. I've been hoping that you enjoyed your trip and from this review it sounds as though everything was up to scratch (if not mind-blowingly fantastigorical Platinum! :D)

Yes Manny's lovely - and they are wonderful to remember returning passengers! It is the atmosphere which makes the holiday special for us.

We liked what they've done in the Lido deck too - it certainly looks a lot smarter and we liked the canopy as it provided a bit of shade in the daytime and was a pleasant spot for a late drink to enjoy the warm Caribbean evenings!

We thought the showteam were good but would agree with you in that the shows as a whole didn't float my boat as much as usual either (with one or two exceptions). I thought for me it was the show content, mix of shows and material which fell a bit flat not the performances or delivery. I don't think it was because we'd seen the shows before - the new ones weren't the best imo and the re-hash of some of the old ones would have been better left as they were! I'd settle for seeing a superb show many times if it's really good than wanting new material which isn't great. Didn't stop us going to watch them all though! :D And they were enjoyable - just not quite as good as the programme of shows we've seen on some trips.

Anyway thanks for the feedback - will look out for your port reports - always interested to gather more info - with luck we might go back again! ;)

Great review :)

Re the entertainment - I wondered if it would be better if the show team did less nights, say 4 or 5 and have more guest entertainers, perhaps a comedian, a singer, a ventriloquist or a magician.

Or would that be too expensive?

Thanks for your review ( oh, dear, I'm beginning to sound like Geo's friend)

Shame about missing Darren's singing & shame they only gave him a lunchtime slot - that boy has talent. He certainly captured the audience on an evening slot on the Celebration.

Interesting what you say about the atmosphere on the Med & Red Sea Cruises. We are toying with the idea of Baltic or Norway/Iceland next year but that is my worry, that the entertainment might not be as lively.......

Shame about missing Darren's singing & shame they only gave him a lunchtime slot - that boy has talent. He certainly captured the audience on an evening slot on the Celebration.

Interesting what you say about the atmosphere on the Med & Red Sea Cruises. We are toying with the idea of Baltic or Norway/Iceland next year but that is my worry, that the entertainment might not be as lively.......

Us too but it would have to be with Fred Olsen (never done them before) as they sail from Rosyth, a short 20 mile drive for us:)

Us too but it would have to be with Fred Olsen (never done them before) as they sail from Rosyth, a short 20 mile drive for us:)

That would be very handy for you although I do wonder if Fred would be even worse with entertainment - I think everyone goes to bed at 11pm from what I had heard lol!!!

Kruz, I know what you mean about the shows, I think the ones they do on Celebration suit us better.

Africa and the musical show they do on there with bits from les mis are fantastic.

Maybe a smaller venue helps as well, you feel so close to the action on Celebration especially if you manage to get a place on the balcony.

Jules, I think it's more the type of audience on the Med and Red Sea cruises rather that the entertainers themselves, both the Showteam and Top Men are clearly doing their best and genuinely look like they enjoy it. Top Men were great on the deck party night when they do Queen, but the dance floor was never as packed as on the Med cruise.

We have never done Fred but I heard you should take your pension book with you to get a free cocoa at 10.30pm LOL...;)

fab review joe, many thanks for this:cool:

agree also about the atmosphere being a little different? in caribbean...dunno why? also cant quite put my finger on it?

I do luv the dream and the caribbean and dont hesitate to sail on her at any opportunity

I relentlessly keep comparing the dream with destiny so the benchmark (for me) is set quite high.....I guess thats what good memories do to you

glad to hear top men are on top form and hazel is still singing (sweetly)....did you notice if julius (the young host) was still there?

how did you find captain torsten....did you catch a couple of his (legendary) engaging 6pm speeches?;)

Yep, Destiny is still my favourite ship, I miss the Sky Bar. Don't miss the windy Lido though.....

No Julius on Ents team.

Capt Roy finished on Sunday so we never had the joys of Capt Torsen.

Must dash, work to do.....

Kruz, I know what you mean about the shows, I think the ones they do on Celebration suit us better.

Africa and the musical show they do on there with bits from les mis are fantastic.

Maybe a smaller venue helps as well, you feel so close to the action on Celebration especially if you manage to get a place on the balcony.

Jules, I think it's more the type of audience on the Med and Red Sea cruises rather that the entertainers themselves, both the Showteam and Top Men are clearly doing their best and genuinely look like they enjoy it. Top Men were great on the deck party night when they do Queen, but the dance floor was never as packed as on the Med cruise.

We have never done Fred but I heard you should take your pension book with you to get a free cocoa at 10.30pm LOL...;)

We love Top Men Band - so sad when they weren't on Celebration last year when we went :(. Meetch & the Peekles were good & great at their Beetles night but they just don't have the same repertoire as Top Men.

The comedian on Celebration last year said that the portholes on the Fred ships were fitted with bifocals & instead of chocolates on your pillow at night, you got prunes:eek:

That would be very handy for you although I do wonder if Fred would be even worse with entertainment - I think everyone goes to bed at 11pm from what I had heard lol!!!

I believe the entertainment team on Fred's ships are from the same agency that Thomson use. Only been on Braemar, but really enjoyed the entertainment :)

The comedian on Celebration last year said that the portholes on the Fred ships were fitted with bifocals & instead of chocolates on your pillow at night, you got prunes:eek:

We got similar jokes about Saga when we were on The Eclipse. I bet the comedians on Fred tell jokes about Thomson :D:D

Yes we have enjoyed the entertainment on FO as well and we never went to bed by 11pm and we where definitely Not the only ones out ,some go to bed early because they are older but a lot stay up way past midnight and there is a mixed age group like Thomson's .

We've been on the Iceland cruise and found the entertainment and atmosphere on board excellent. It was just inside instead of out. Apart from when we crossed the Arctic Circle at about 1 o'clock in the morning and virtually the whole ship was up on deck.....a fantastic experience.:)

Yes we have enjoyed the entertainment on FO as well and we never went to bed by 11pm and we where definitely Not the only ones out ,some go to bed early because they are older but a lot stay up way past midnight and there is a mixed age group like Thomson's .

That's handy to know, and the fact they use the same entertainment agency. Is it mainly adults that travel or have you come across families, too? The reason we like Thomson is that there are families onboard so our teens have other teens to mix with If they want company of other teens but we would hate the big cruise ships with climbing walls. Ice rinks, organised entertainment for kids etc - ours are just not into that; they enjoy being with us & doing the "adult" things but it's also nice for them not to be the only kids onboard!!

We've been on the Iceland cruise and found the entertainment and atmosphere on board excellent. It was just inside instead of out. Apart from when we crossed the Arctic Circle at about 1 o'clock in the morning and virtually the whole ship was up on deck.....a fantastic experience.:)

I would love that happy - I'm steering more towards the ex-UK cruises now but I'm not sure what the rest of the family would like.........

I would love that happy - I'm steering more towards the ex-UK cruises now but I'm not sure what the rest of the family would like.........

Forgot to mention, you could also see the sun, magical.

That's handy to know, and the fact they use the same entertainment agency. Is it mainly adults that travel or have you come across families, too? The reason we like Thomson is that there are families onboard so our teens have other teens to mix with If they want company of other teens but we would hate the big cruise ships with climbing walls. Ice rinks, organised entertainment for kids etc - ours are just not into that; they enjoy being with us & doing the "adult" things but it's also nice for them not to be the only kids onboard!!

Hi Julessmiles;have seen children but would not know what the facility's are available for them I don't remember any sulky faces :)

Hi Jules,

Not 100% sure about the entertainment, someone told me about it when we were on the Braemar. The first time we went was in July, so school holidays, and a very mixed age group from babies to OAPs (DH & me :D) I'm pretty sure there was a kid's club. There were a few teenagers watching the ballroom dancing that they do between the shows and the dance hosts were trying to get them to join in, but they were too shy :rolleyes:

Your teenagers sound like the type who would like Fred :)

Ditto..Were also just a short 20 mile drive from Rosyth which is ideal for an ex-UK cruise which we fancy.However not sure FO is for us yet as was under the impression it was more the sedate/mature passenger(dons tin hat),certainly going by the latest reviews and speaking to friends who have sailed with them.

Excellent review Joe

Great review Joe, mine seems to be huge in comparison, but then we haven't been on the Dream before so probably have more to say. Still laughing over the piggies on motorbikes. Sure did have your wife laughing. ;)

Hi Gill.

Hope you are better now.

Yep we had some fun on that trip around St Lucia.

Caravans, floods, distillery tours in Scotland, birthdays of all the kids and grandkids, including star signs and what cusp they were on..... we could go on and on.....:D

Sorry everyone else it's a private joke......;)

Joe.

Archived