FLying from FL to Seattle

FierceAXBoi

If you are flying in the next 2 1/2 months to Seattle for a cruise, you are probably out of luck on any cheap air fares unless you just happen to catch a sale. The cheap tickets were sold out months ago. The planes are flying full, so no need to discount.

Now, you will have to find the best of the expensive tickets. There are some Northwest tickets mid week in the $350.00 range, but week end tickets on 4 airlines average $425.00pp. Sorry!!!

I have been watching SEA-FLL (or MIA) flights for months for friends of mine. Lowest seen as yet was $308 on American, connecting through Dallas (better than Chicago in the middle of the winter). One couple is still waiting for the fares to drop into the 200's but I just can't see it happening. And if so, there may be 1 seat on the plane at that price, which is usually the case - and you are routed through the North Pole to get to your destination 18 hours later :)

There's something to be said for signing up for a farewatcher at Orbitz or Travelocity. Orbitz's "Deal Detector" will email you when the fare drops a certain amount or to a level you're comfortable paying. When you see the fare you want, BUY IT RIGHT THEN!! It could change at any time.

Airlines can open up particular fare buckets (including the "cheap seats" buckets) at any time, which means the fare could drop to a level you're very happy paying - and trust me, buy them when you see the price. Even waiting a few hours can either sell out the fare class, or pull the fare.

A random search for FLL-SEA is pulling up ~$400 fares for most weekends in July/August - not particularly cheap, so pick a fare you're happy at and sign up for the fare watchers!

I watched Kayaks site everyday faithfully trying to get 5 tickets from Portland Or.to FLL they were sooooo high and then one day they dropped and stayed down for about a week. They came down to $197 r.t. then went back up nearly double. Its amazing how much fluctuation there is and timing is everything when you purchase your tickets. If you have a little extra time to buy you can wait it out and hopefully they will come down.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from an Alaska cruise, and family members had bought roundtrip tickets from Tampa to Seattle on Southwest for $99 each way. They had a plane change in Vegas, which isn't too bad if you want to gamble a couple dollars at the slot machines. :)

Archived