Has anyone been in Juneau during "Gold Rush Days"?

read52

Although I live here, I'm embarrassed to say I've never been. However, it would easy for a cruise visitor to attend. It's a chance to see something of Juneau history and its future as well. Many people in Juneau are still employed in local mines, just not any within sight of the visitors. I always encourage visitors to interact with locals if possible and get away from the fellow-tourist crowds, but that's up to the visitors' interest.

Here's an article about last year's festivities: http://juneauempire.com/local/2012-06-24/gold-rush-days-are-here-last#.UTuCezeaZdA

You could reach the park by grabbing the Douglas bus. It's a 10-15 minute ride downtown, $2 fare each way. There's also a cab, but the bus is also part of that local interaction!

Although I live here, I'm embarrassed to say I've never been. However, it would easy for a cruise visitor to attend. It's a chance to see something of Juneau history and its future as well. Many people in Juneau are still employed in local mines, just not any within sight of the visitors. I always encourage visitors to interact with locals if possible and get away from the fellow-tourist crowds, but that's up to the visitors' interest.

Here's an article about last year's festivities: http://juneauempire.com/local/2012-06-24/gold-rush-days-are-here-last#.UTuCezeaZdA

You could reach the park by grabbing the Douglas bus. It's a 10-15 minute ride downtown, $2 fare each way. There's also a cab, but the bus is also part of that local interaction!

Thanks for the reply. I live on the edge of Washington, DC (in Maryland) but never have been to the fireworks on 4th of July or any Ingaration of a president. We want to experience the local history and people. We are originally from Wisconsin so the logging part sounded interesting since my grandfather was a logger when he was young. Where can we taste some local food? Any other suggestions on things to see while we are there? We would also like to buy some local art work. This is our first time to Alaska.

Archived