New Cruiser

Skywriter

Hi, we are booked on I.E this summer, having never cruised before we know nothing about anything, would appreciate any help with one or two questions. Firstly, although the brochure states all tips are included in the price, should we still tip the staff like the room attendant? if so, is it normal to leave a tip daily or only once at the end of the week, also which other staff might we encounter that we would be expected to tip? Thanks.

Welcome Sky :) The Escape is a good ship to do your first cruise on,,it's a nice happy ship! Tipping is a personal thing I always think but you will find the crew are all extremely hardworking and friendly. If you tip every waiter that serves you.. you will soon have empty pockets! Can't speak for others but I tipped our cabin steward quite heftily because he was so brilliant and quite frankly they deserve it. I'm not sure about the Escape but I know other ships have a crew fund that you can contribute to if you wished.

You really wont be expected to tip anyone. It's entirely up to you.... if you feel you have had excellent service then of course you may tip some extra at the end of the cruise..it is traditional to tip (iif you want to) on the last night for the waiters or last morning for the cabin steward. It's different with restaurant staff as there are no actual 'served' meals (they are buffets) so you won't have the same waiters every day..... on some ships they have a 'tip' box in the buffet restaurant but I don't remember seeing one on Island Escape.

Don't let it spoil your holiday worrying about whether to tip or not....the beauty of Thomson cruises is that tips really are included and no one expects any :)

Thank You Cappers, very much appreciated, I guess it's just like hotels then, where it's very much like you say a personal choice. I'd been having second thoughts lately about going on this cruise because we know so little about how it all works, I'm glad to have found this forum, no doubt I'll have many more questions. Thanks again.

Thank You Jenny Wren, that clears alot up about how and when and who! It's more a case of finding out the normal traditions of cruising really as like I say we really have no idea. I've never thought about a cruise before, it's a long story but it all started because my son fancied visiting the colosseum!!

• 2 months later...

Archived