QV Darwin tour cancelled- HELP!

Kiltboys

Beware of what I would term unsavoury practices from the onboard tour desk on Queen Victoria.

We booked a tour for $284 for a tour to the Litchfield National Park in Darwin (8 hours + lunch...6 stops). One hour into the drive the tour was cancelled due to rain. We immediately turned around to head back to the ship. On the way they decided to briefly stop at a crocodile farm (60 minutes), and then returned to the ship.

To my amazement, a note came to the cabin stating that we would be charged 50% of the original fee because we were technically on a bus. When I objected to the Tour Manager Michael Koster, the following response was dispatched in reply-

"In reference to your dissatisfaction with the Litchfield National Park tour and the subsequent company refund of 50% of the tour. I have had extensive correspondence with our shore excursion department in Southampton and I have been instructed that no further compensation can be offered for this excusion.

I have been asked to refer you to our guest relations department in your respective countries should you wish to pursue this matter any further".

So an almost completely cancelled tour refund is considered "compensation". Carnivalisation at its worst IMHO. Buyer beware!

I have sent a note to the lovely Sally Sagoe (Entertainment Director) to let her know that this kind of attitude may be undermining guest morale!

Cheers, and Happy Sailing!

Beware of what I would term unsavoury practices from the onboard tour desk on Queen Victoria.

We booked a tour for $284 for a tour to the Litchfield National Park in Darwin (8 hours + lunch...6 stops). One hour into the drive the tour was cancelled due to rain. We immediately turned around to head back to the ship. On the way they decided to briefly stop at a crocodile farm (60 minutes), and then returned to the ship.

To my amazement, a note came to the cabin stating that we would be charged 50% of the original fee because we were technically on a bus. When I objected to the Tour Manager Michael Koster, the following response was dispatched in reply-

"In reference to your dissatisfaction with the Litchfield National Park tour and the subsequent company refund of 50% of the tour. I have had extensive correspondence with our shore excursion department in Southampton and I have been instructed that no further compensation can be offered for this excusion.

I have been asked to refer you to our guest relations department in your respective countries should you wish to pursue this matter any further".

So an almost completely cancelled tour refund is considered "compensation". Carnivalisation at its worst IMHO. Buyer beware!

I have sent a note to the lovely Sally Sagoe (Entertainment Director) to let her know that this kind of attitude may be undermining guest morale!

Cheers, and Happy Sailing!

I can understand why you are annoyed, they should have just refunded your money. I hope that the guest relations department in your country will be able to make it right and refund the remaining 50% for you.

Not sure where you live, but in UK I would issue a small claims court summons after perusing Cunard for a full refund for a reasonable time.

It is quite outrageous that they expect you to pay for a cancelled tour.

David.

• 4 months later...
Hi Kiltboys,

We never did hear if Cunard sorted this out for you or not. Did you end up having to go through the guest relations department in your country?

Hi- sorry I forgot to conclude this matter. Here's the dramatic update:

I had a face to face mtg with Michael Koster onboard the following day and he was clearly under pressure from Soton to not offer full refunds. In fact, they couldn't have been clearer- (I wont say more as I'd hate to get Michael into hot water).

I was clear in return- Crystal clear, in fact. Michael called me the following day to say that Soton had relented and we would receive a refund in full.

I hope others pushed back as well, but I fear they did not (which really isn't fair to them).

The Entertainment Director called later that day to announce that she was escalating the matter- but it had all been sorted by then. So instead we had drinks together in our cabin, talked about her time on Eastenders and generally planned her future career. It was a busy afternoon.

Thanks for reminding me to post the outcome. We must get back to Brisbane to see Litchfield one day.

That's a good outcome, shame that you had to push so hard to achieve it though.

And it would be nice to think they extended the same treatment to others, but, as you say, if they didn't push back then Cunard may not have done so.

Archived