Foodies and Artists will love the Celebrity Reflection

sky61

San Juan was our first Port. We had never been and knew we wanted to see the forts but that they closed at 6pm so we were very happy when we docked earlier than our expected 3pm time. We walked off the boat and up the street to the fort. It is about a ten minute walk but an uphill grade so someone with mobility issues may have difficulty. Here is a link to the National Park Service Website which has all sorts of info on the forts (San Cristobal is accessible by a free trolley which is right outside the gate of del Morro).http://www.nps.gov/saju/index.htm

Here we are enjoying a walk on the blue cobblestones of Old San Juan.

8527155282_fd1849e096.jpg

I'm glad we visited the forts. Being a big history buff and the daughter of a colonel I am especially interested in defense and battles so old cannons and stonework tend to hold a peculiar fascination.

8526042911_fabfcdd833_n.jpg

If you are not as inclined you may want to still go and enjoy the spectacular views from atop the walls which overlook the glorious city and waters of Puerto Rico. You can see Reflection in the distance!

860942b6-a804-4b97-aa75-f4a8bfea9dc8_zpscdc6c6a1.jpg?t=1363654645

Glad to see you back! Thanks for more posts and beautiful photos. Our first stop will be in San Juan and we haven't seen the Old Fort yet either. Thank you for the heads up about its hours and the link.

That Caribbean sun is really something. Especially after a few New England snowstorms. Even though I am olive skinned I wear lots of sunscreen and still feel the effects of it pretty quick so beware. Our "go to" spot for sunning and relaxing was the Solstice deck which was on the very top. There was a basketball area one deck below that gets busy so you might not want to sit close to the bow. Generally any other spot was fairly peaceful. If you can get there early enough you could score one of these lovely sunbeds. Those cushy chairs with the footstools are awesome, also!

23193561-53c6-4285-9c79-7bb8a6820ea6_zpsecce7d0f.jpg?t=1364130222

One of the other perks of Aqua Class is access to the Persian Gardens. If you are interested in this and are not Aqua Class you can buy a day pass for $35. Personally, I loved it but know other people on our deck who never used it at all so you'll have to decide for yourself it is worth the investment.

Before we went on our cruise I read that the spa sold salt scrubs (5 for $45). I went to a department store and bought some for about $14 that I brought with us. There is a dry sauna, steam room, cold room, and two showers (you need to wear a swimsuit...they are tucked behind these tiled loungers, an opening in the wall that curls around for some privacy). There are tile benches also in the room with the loungers where you set your shoes, bag, whatever. They supply towels, also.

I always wore my swimsuit with a coverup to the Persian Gardens as our room was not really close. I suppose if you were right across the hall you could scoot in with your robe.

Our favorite thing to do was sun and swim, then grab our salt scrub or soap, a good book, and head to the Persian Gardens. We thought it would always be crowded but it really wasn't...we never had a problem getting a lounger. There is no soap so you really need to bring your own.

We both loved those heated loungers and read for hours on them. The view is stunning (as you can see) and it is quite peaceful.8526037745_96599e24d7_n.jpg

Our second cruise, first on a Celebrity ship has us sold on this cruise line. We booked this Feb 16-23rd, 2013 cruise as a delayed honeymoon. My husband and I are in the 40-55 year age range and were looking forward to a week of delicious food, sun and relaxing.

We flew direct from Boston on American Airlines on Friday. We were a bit nervous about the possibility of snow disrupting our flight but all was clear and we arrived in Miami around 9pm that evening. The cab ride was a bit frustrating...ended up costing us $36 due to traffic and what should have been a fifteen minute ride took 45 minutes. I didn't feel comfortable with the driver and realized the next day, when we were walking around, that he took us down the one street in the area with lots of construction. Hmmmm. Buyer Beware. If we weren't so exhausted we could have been more assertive.

We stayed at the Hampton Inn Downtown (Brickell) which was clean and offered a nice hot buffet breakfast in the morning. It is very close to the port (less than ten minute cab ride) so very convenient. We would stay there again.

We had read so many reviews and helpful tips about Reflection and cruising in general so even though this was only our second cruise we felt well informed. By 10:30am we were in the terminal. We had booked Aqua Class and were checked in right away but told the ship was not ready so we were all shuffled off to the waiting area. After about 45 minutes we were allowed to proceed on board.8527103914_9be1f26589_z.jpg

Sorry to hear about your taxi situation. Miami taxis work on a "zone" fare system. So, the cost of your trip should not be based on how long you were travelling.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

We both like going to the gym so wanted to see what classes were offered there as I heard all this kind of stuff gets filled quickly. The gym is stunning as you can see! I did end up going three times but didn't sign up for any classes. If you like classes they have a spin class, yoga and some others for a fee but I was happy with the eliptical and my iPod. Warning: there are not nearly enough machines for busy mornings so be prepared to wait. I went the first sea day around 7:15am and it was packed! There are signs saying 20minute max on machines but no sign up so you have to kind of hover and stalk :). I decided to use some of the circuit machines and eventually got my eliptical and then jumped on a bike for another twenty. Being Aqua Class we had bottles of water delivered every day but you could just bring a water bottle and fill it at the water bubbler (this is how you can tell I'm from MA) in the gym. My favorite thing in the gym was the fridge with the cold towels!!!8526038399_d0c98fc4c2_n.jpg8527149768_7e7539a2d1_n.jpg

The term "bubbler" is widely used in Wisconsin.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

This being only our second cruise we are still learning about lots of things. For example, we wanted to book excursions while in ports, but were not thrilled with the options for St. Kitts (we wanted more beach time). So I found a company through Trip Advisor http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147375-d2256013-r121102353-Kittitian_Taxi_and_Tours_Inc-Basseterre_St_Kitts_St_Kitts_and_Nevis.html and was very surprised when Akimba called me within the hour! I explained that we were hoping to see Brimstone Fort but really wanted more time at the beach than the ship excursion offered. Akimba offered his Island Tour, which we booked, for around $50 each. Here is his website: http://www.kittitiantaxiandtours.com/ If you are interested in a small group tour with a wonderful guide send Akimba an email.

The day we arrived in port Akimba met us with his van. He can take up to eight people but that day we were the only ones signed up! Akimba is personable and friendly, drives safely, is respectful and provides stops with beverages included. Also included was the fee to enter Brimstone (normally $8 each) so this was a very good value. We ended up doing the whole tour (Batik factory, Brimstone and beach) which was fine as we had never been to St. Kitts before but if I was going again I would definitely just take a taxi to the beach.

Here are some photos from the batik factory:

8542179488_fa9ed5277e_n.jpg

8541079235_349fde9db7_n.jpg

8541078311_cce1e6f18d_n.jpg

So like I said we would have preferred a longer time at the beach but were satisfied we got to see some of the sights of St. Kitts. Akimba wanted to just have us stay an hour and a half (huh?) but we asked him if we could stay for two and a half hours which he agreed to. I'm glad we did this as getting a lunch at the Shipwreck Beach Bar took almost 45 minutes. Here's a menu for you to peruse. Order the minute you hit the beach...takes a while. Great lunch, though! I had the fish tacos which were flaky and fresh. Yum!http://www.shipwreckbeachbarandgrill.webs.com/

8541071643_092f891f95_n.jpg

DH ordering our lunch.

8541070265_58482eb819_n.jpg

Enjoying the beach.

8542171730_401016ae9b_n.jpg

You can rent all sorts of water sport stuff here.

The term "bubbler" is widely used in Wisconsin.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk[/quote

Good to know. Makes me not feel so lonely when people point out our little language similarities!:) Thanks!

Did the batik factory sell fabric? Do you know about what the prices were ?

Yes there was a store with lots of clothing, linens, jewelry and small gift items. I was not in shopping mode and only bought a few tropical soaps and a small batik bag with spices but I did check out a few things I liked. The beach cover-ups and dresses I liked were around $80 and the sarongs around $35-45. I wish I could give you more info but found this thread that may be helpful. They talk about prices and another shop that sells batik close to the port. http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1537149

The wait staff is top notch at Blu. Within two minutes of sitting you will have your napkin in your lap, menus in your hand, and telling someone what kind of water you'd like (we always go for Pellegrino...which is included at no extra cost).

I'm not sure this is accurate - did you have a premium drinks package?

Love the review, thanks! Seriously considering switching from RCI to the Reflection in December.

Question - is there anywhere to check your carry-on bags if your cabin isn't ready? On NCL, one of the bars was set aside as an attended check room, and you could pick up your bags when you went to your cabin.

Also, is there a charge for the Solarium, like there is for the Sanctuary on Princess?

No spots for the carry on bags, and no charge for the Solarium (adults only). There is a spot called The Alcoves which are similar (in that they are secluded and for-fee) to NCL Haven or Princess Sanctuary.

I'm not sure this is accurate - did you have a premium drinks package?

No, I did not buy any drink package. We were offered still or sparkling water. I always asked for sparkling and my glass was filled with Pellegrino. This is only in Blu. :)

Archived